Corrosion Removal ??

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Corrosion Removal ??

Post by Robsey »

I am always one to test theories.

This one is the White Vinegar and Salt treatment.

It has been doing the rounds on a few forums recently. Made a bit famous by Edd China's online vlogs.
A bit like the wheeler dealers but without the distraction of Mike Brewer. Do note that some of his "remedies" are less effective than others.

In one vlog he mentions cleaning old dry oxidised copper wires using white vinegar and salt.
But I have seen other people use it to clean rusty steel.

So as this forum's own guinea pig, I thought that I would test the theory.

So I got a steel hook from my camper van with a nice coating of 40 years worth of rust.
In a tub with the afore-mentioned chemicals in.

Usual suggestion is to leave to soak for 5 hours.
Light surface corrosion could be 'wiped' off with a kitchen scourer, but heavier pitting could not.
So I left it to soak for another 24 hours.

This was the bracket after another wipe over / scrub with a scouring pad.

Definately less corrosion (orange oxide residue) showing.

The general instruction is to wash the item in warm water and bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) to neutralise the acid from the vinegar.

I then dried the hook thoroughly with paper towel / tissue paper.... okay, some bog roll. :roll:

After a week, the hook is still as clean as it was after the neutralising rinse.

You could use proper "original" Coca Cola, but remember that it will act much quicker, and will dissolve steel, not just corrosion. (assuming that the acid component in Cola has not been watered-down like everything else these days).

Next test will be to try the theory on an old copper loom from the camper van.
Watch this space.
Robsey
Club Admin

Corrosion Removal ??

Post by Robsey »

Someone is bound to say.
There is nothing new there, Rob.

And you would be right.
For decades and decades people have used brown sauce to clean copper coins, or used the acid from lemons to stop fruit turning brown (usually apples).

This is just bringing "free" solutions back for those who would normally replace rather than repair.

Anyway - sacrificial headlamp and side lamp plugs from my 40 year old van.
Plenty of verdi-gris (copper oxide) on those female spades.

Time for a bath...

I shall report back in a few hours.

The professional acid for steel is Phosphoric Acid, however this turns rust black. The active ingredient in many rust treatments / converters. But it is very strong so good gloves should be worn.

Vinegar and salt is quite safe - Acetic acid just pongs.
Coca Cola smells much nicer.
vexorg

Re: Corrosion Removal ??

Post by vexorg »

Seem to remember being told original coca cola could also dissolve concrete
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Coca Cola (original post Cocaine recipe) is / was very good for cleaning or dissolving many substances.

It was also used by US emergency services to wash blood from the road (pavement in the US) after very messy vehicle accidents. Eek!!

Consider what it does to tooth enamel and your stomach lining.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay 4 1/2 hours later, and you can see that the copper is clean.

No signs of age related hardness or blackening of the copper wires, and the verdi-gris has all gone.

Just shiny pink copper... the single female spade zinc coating looks scabby, but in reality it is clean and smooth. Just it is not shiny.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I've seen a few different techniques like this before. Didn't know you could do it with just plain salt and vinegar though.
That's pretty cool, nice work Rob.

Have you seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

To be honest - it is only good for copper and brass based metals.

It would have saved me replacing 50+ spades on the van looms.
But the important bit is that I would not have had to replace the blackened, hardened cables exposed to the extremes in the engine bay.

Still - it will be useful knowledge for any future electrical repairs. Such as the side-repeater indicators on the Cavalier or Vectra - they are extremely prone to contact corrosion.

As for the vinegar... I only saw people using Distilled (white) vinegar. Not 100% certain, but I am sure you could use standard brown malted vinegar.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

In the last picture it looks like it's taken the tinning off of the crimp terminal exposing the copper which is more prone to corrosion.
In the past I've poured boiling water over terminals of batteries to remove the verdigris from them in big back up power systems.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I'm not sure how conductive the surface of that crimp would be, it does appear to be off colour, and they usually is a sign of poor cunduction.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

iangsi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:23 am In the past I've poured boiling water over terminals of batteries to remove the verdigris from them in big back up power systems.
I think we need to put that in context - I assume that power had been cut from the bus-bars.
Otherwise you may end up with a rather smart looking 80's "shaggy dog" curly-perm hair style.
vexorg wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:10 am I'm not sure how conductive the surface of that crimp would be, it does appear to be off colour, and they usually is a sign of poor cunduction.
Probably better than the initial corrosion though.

And not too expensive or tricky to get the chemicals from a local shop if you are caught out by an intermittent electrical issue on holiday.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Robsey wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:14 pm
iangsi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:23 am In the past I've poured boiling water over terminals of batteries to remove the verdigris from them in big back up power systems.
I think we need to put that in context - I assume that power had been cut from the bus-bars.
Otherwise you may end up with a rather smart looking 80's "shaggy dog" curly-perm hair style.
Basically it’s loads of 12V batteries connected in series supplying an inverter which changes it to AC either 240 or 415V.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

You've also got the option of the electrolysis bath for rust removal.

Couple of videos a few posts down on my diplomat thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15133&p=171638#p171638