Radio replacement conundrum

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Telegram Sam

Radio replacement conundrum

Post by Telegram Sam »

I have had an N-reg LSi in storage for a lengthy period during which time someone has deprived me of the radio. I guess one could pick up a replacement from a breaker's yard - but would that be of any use if I don't know the security code? Presumably the manufacturers designed these things precisely to prevent such transfers. Is there a way out other than buying a completely new unit?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Radio replacement conundrum

Post by Robsey »

It is a bit hit and miss regarding security codes.

There are many online agencies that provide the original Vauxhall factory code for a radio, based upon the radio's serial number.

I have had a radio where the code had been changed by the owner and then forgotten.

In the early days, Vauxhall used to send radios to a third party company to read the security code from a chip inside. Sadly this company has long-since ceased to exist.

So you will need to look carefully for a suitable donor radio.
I assume you are thinking of a Grundig SC303

, as that was the most common unit towards the end of Cavalier production. Especially at LSi level.

If you can find one, you could seek out a Philips SC804

or even a CD300.
Or - I am sure James and Ian have fitted Blaupunkt "104"? radios in the past - a common Opel model equivalent.

As for a "brand new unit" -
You will struggle to find a new radio that looks right.
- as in "period appropriate".

There is the option of an early Vivaro cd radio.

The latest model of a cd radio fitted to a vauxhall from the factory... okay it will be a Renault radio.. but still used on Vivaro's.

And it still had the in-built display.
Unlike the CAR300 or CD500 used on Corsa-B and C, Astra-F and G and Vectra-B as they need an external display.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Thanks for the helpful comments.
The choice will be simplified (initially) in that I will be limited to what choice of radio the Vauxhall breaker's yard can offer me. That said, the aim will be to have something functional rather than visually "correct" since this LSi was purchased originally just to act as a donor car for the long standing saga of re-shelling my H-reg SRi (problem still to be resolved ..). I suppose the question is to be put to the breaker man, if he can provide the code otherwise it's a no deal.
Failing which I suppose there must be a "market" on eBay or elsewhere where replacement units are sold complete with code. I could search for one of the models that you have listed. Is there a danger of getting the "wrong" radio where the dimensions and fittings just don't fit?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As long as you stick with the standard "1 din" size, you should be good to go.

It is a German "standard" radio size format used by all major European manufacturers in the 80s and 90s.

The same size as the big brand radios - JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony etc..

I do recall that James had an issue where a standard Vauxhall cage was about 1/2" too deep (front to back) for the Blaupunkt radio. This meant that the radio body did not reach the aerial and ISO connectors clipped to the rear of the cage.
This can be remedied by unclipping the ISO connector and aerial from the cage and connecting directly to the radio.

Other than that, there should be no fitting size issues.

All radios fitted to European vehicles or European market third party suppliers used the standard DIN and ISO formats.

Again - some early German dashboards were quite shallow, due to the proximity of the radio to the heater motor casing (VW is a prime example) - Blaupunkt was a major manufacturer for VW hence the availability of short body radios.
This explains the short body on James' radio.

As for Ebay - radios do appear from time to time. But they can be quite expensive for OEM stuff.
There were quite a few Philips SC201 radios on ebay, last time I looked.
They look a lot like the SC303, but not really used on the LSi and above.

I got my SC804 from ebay in 2018 - I was in the right place at the right time.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Thanks I'll put that to the breaker man. Together with the query about the code.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

There is actually an SC303 on eBay at the moment, although it is very overpriced if you ask me:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353808717217 ... SwkeVhTHPs

I have somewhat changed my opinion when it comes to radios. I used to think that they should be kept all original.
However, my cars are still in daily use and over time they have started to deteriorate. The screens are a particualr weak point, and I think I'm on my 3rd in the LS and 2nd in the Diplomat. The main volume knob has also broken off on the Diplomat and has become sticky on the LS.

Frankly it's really diss-heartening. Especally as i spent so long tracking down the SC804 that is in my Diplomat.

In the V6, I fitted a new radio, initially as a temporary measure until I could find an original CD300 unit but to be honest, I've not looked back.
Even if I found a CD300 I probably wouldn't fit it now. The new radio is far better than any of the OE units and if it breaks, i can just replace it without a second thought. It's also nice to have modern features like Bluetooth and voice control as well as really great sound quality.

The original radios are best kept for show cars, not daily drivers.
There just aren't enough parts to go around any more.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I hope that there is a way to exterminate this thread. The car had been in long term storage - unused. The suspicion that the radio had been nicked turned out in the cool light of day to be false. Just the fascia panel was missing which predictably duly turmed up in the glovebox. Demote this conversation to General Chat. PS it is a Kenwood
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Exterminate is a bit extreme - but moved to general chat as requested.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Sub forum for those with egg on their faces.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

James McGrath wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:29 pm
The original radios are best kept for show cars, not daily drivers.
There just aren't enough parts to go around any more.
I have a few old SC303s in various stages of disrepair, so plenty of facia spares including knobs, buttons and tactile contacts.

Egg on your face eh?
Better inside your chops, but hey ho. :)

We have all made mistakes, or errors of judgement.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I've still got the tape deck in mine. I did upgrade to the CD version briefly, but the radio reception wasn't as good, so changed back.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think that I must be an old fart...
I simply cannot be bothered with the radio.
I am totally bored of commercials or the generic teenage angst or gangster rap drivel that fills the radio stations.

The 80s were my formative era, but even that bores me now. (Was that the 1880s?? - lol).

I would rather listen to the drone of the engine or my own flatulence.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm I think that I must be an old fart...
I simply cannot be bothered with the radio.
I am totally bored of commercials or the generic teenage angst or gangster rap drivel that fills the radio stations.

The 80s were my formative era, but even that bores me now. (Was that the 1880s?? - lol).

I would rather listen to the drone of the engine or my own flatulence.
Don't think that's anything to do with age Rob, just personal taste.
I go through phases. Sometimes I like listening to just my own music, sometimes I like a bit of radio, Radio 2, Radio 4 or even a bit of classical, then when I'm fed up with them I'll just listen to the engine.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

On longer drives I like a bit of background noise, usually radio 2, then radio 4 in the afternoon/evening.
I quite like Cerys' choices on the blues show.

Or if in my wife's car with fancy DAB, you can get allsorts, like Alice Cooper on planet rock.
David