Merry Christmas you lovely lot.

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

3cav3

Re: Merry Christmas you lovely lot.

Post by 3cav3 »

I think it is partly because the number of cavs left is dropping, however I have noticed in general that forum use seems to be reducing, I'm guessing largely due to people using social media more and more. Lets hope they keep surviving as its an invaluable source of information, whereas on the likes of facecloth the information seems to be gone quickly.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Although we do not see Humbucker on here these days, he has no plans to close the forum any time soon.
(As far as I am aware).
He is still the site owner, and pops in behind the scenes from time to time.

If he did wish to relinquish the forum, then myself and EnvoyCDX would take over the running and funding.

That was the plan anyway.

Facebook is free, quick and easy, that is why so many forums have closed and moved to social media platforms.
But unlike here, they cannot offer an easy way to find useful repair guides.
Everything has its place... my place is here.

So returning to topic.

Merry Christmas y'all.
And hopefully lots more Cavalier shinanigans in 2024.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Merry Christmas everyone :santa

I think it's a generational thing.
My car occasionally gets complimented, mainly by 40 - 60 year olds who owned or had a dad or uncle who did. This generation has no emotional ties/fond memories like I and others have as a mk3 owner of 20+ years.
Children are now being groomed into believing fossil fuels are bad and all we need is to rely on electricity for everything, which is surely a folly.
I suspect informative forums like ours will go the way of the dinosaur and society will dumb down yet again, despite each generation supposedly being brighter than the previous. I can't envisage a Haynes for EV's.

Back to topic.
Merry Christmas and thanks admin for keeping the site going :D :santa :raindeer :santa :santa :santa
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

If it does come to that and you have to pick up the funding then please let me know and I'll gladly make a contribution towards the cost if it helps keep this database of knowledge open to everyone and help preserve our beloved cars.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 pm I think it is partly because the number of cavs left is dropping, however I have noticed in general that forum use seems to be reducing, I'm guessing largely due to people using social media more and more. Lets hope they keep surviving as its an invaluable source of information, whereas on the likes of facecloth the information seems to be gone quickly.
All I seem to see on those groups is guys seeing how low they can slam their cars and how big an exhaust they can fit, not really my scene to be honest although some useful info crops up from time to time. Same with omega facebook ones, mainly guys looking for LSDs so they can do doughnuts all night in asda car parks!

:raindeer
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

3cav3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:16 am If it does come to that and you have to pick up the funding then please let me know and I'll gladly make a contribution towards the cost if it helps keep this database of knowledge open to everyone and help preserve our beloved cars.
Same here. This forum has been very useful to me over the years and especially the last one when I finally got my Cav back on the road after 18 years on SORN. I'd like to thank you all again for the help (and patience) shown when I've posted my daft questions. (Be prepared for some more next year on the bodywork/paintwork side of things :) ).

A very merry Xmas to everyone here and happy "Cav'ing" in 2024.

All the best

John
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hi John,
And for everyone else reading...
In my job, it is all about asking questions to ensure the correct outcome. This also means my patients asking me questions.
The one comment that I always make is...
"There is no such thing as a daft question - except the one you never asked".

I have asked many basic questions in my time, but we all start from being total novices. And without asking questions, how on earth do we expect to learn anything.

Every day should still be a school day, no matter who you are. Nobody knows everything.

So please continue to ask away. Without such questions, the forum becomes quiet and stale.

----------------

With all that said, lets hope to see and hear a lot more of each other and our collective cars over the coming years.
I have seen loads of people leave since I joined 15 years ago, including almost every original admin.

It is still nice to get stopped in the street by people wanting to share fond memories of Cavaliers that have touched their lives.

So - as long as the love is still there for these very demanding cars... I will still be here to annoy you - tee hee. :lol:

My car will be 30 years old in August.
I sincerely hope that I will be celebrating this milestone in the car and writing all about it with you.

Way off topic, but...
That is Christmas and the New Year.
Thoughts of happiness, tomorrow and the year ahead.

Have a fab time with all your loved ones.
Make the most of being with them now -
who knows what tomorrow brings.

Thank-you for everything you have done and written in 2023.
Best wishes to you all.

Rob.