Fuel Prices getting out of hand

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Fuel Prices getting out of hand

Post by Robsey »

Indeed -
I use the M67 twice a day.
Luckily I only use the M67 between Denton Island and Hyde.

But I agree - Mottram, Woolley Bridge and Glossop are a nightmare.

But the passes are both closed on a regular basis for resurfacing, dry wall repairs or more recently, subsidence and land slides.

In answer to your final comment -
They have been threatening a "Mottram Bypass" for as long as I have lived in this area - about 27 years so far.

And yes - 23 miles is very optomistic - when going to Sheffield, I join the route at Mottram (via Stalybridge), which is 33 miles for me.
In my estimation, Sheffield is 36 miles from Denton Island, and approx 31 from Mottram Moor.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

My mileage has dropped to sub 8k a year for the past 2 maybe 3 years, be it maintenance issues, lockdown or simply "Can't afford the miles".
At the moment, I require a car for work, however - working from home I still can't take the car off the road due to on-call responsibilities.
If things don't change soon, I don't know what is going to happen.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Fuel tonight has hit 198.9 a litre at my local petrol station. Enough is enough now. Me and my wife are going to have to quit working and go on the dole as living rural means we are using to much diesel.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

It's absolutely barmy the price of fuel now. 183 here in newcastle.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Seen it at £1.83 here in Essex today - what I don't understand is the price per barrel of oil has been higher than current figures, so what exactly is going on, apart from the Government taking the largest percentage.

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Its just no longer sustainable. My cavalier hasn't moved since it passed its mot due to running on super unleaded. Now I will be parking up the other cars, no longer paying tax on wages, no longer spending money into the economy, so ok the government is gaining on some peoples fuel but losing out in so many other areas. How many people are going to lose their jobs? How many old dears are going to freeze to death this winter? The list just goes on and on.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am amazed at some prices charged by fuel stations.
Luckily for me the worst offenders were 60+ miles from me on the A5 between Llangollen and Corwen.
£2.00 and £2.01 for regular diesel.
Thankfully I fuelled up at my local Asda (£1.83) before I did my 245 mile round trip to Barmouth from Manchester
It still cost me £50 for that run.
It would have cost me less than £30 in previous years for the same journey.

As for affording to live - every time I tweak my spending to cut back and manage a little better, something crops up to cancel out all my efforts.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

It's not clear to me why it's so high, everyone seems to be blaming someone else for the price hike.
David
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Its like everything else that goes on, everyone who has an involvement uses it as an excuse to be greedy and make an extra bit. Surely the time has come to blocade the refineries again like had to be done in 2000 to get results?
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

My V-power was £2.06 today.
I asked why the same fuel was cheaper ten miles away, further from the refinery.
One assistant gave me some vagaries and the other didn't know but helpfully went through the back and brought out an even younger version, manager I assume, who basically said it's based on competition and the pump prices are given to them by an area manager.

I can't deny oil prices have increased but the biggest villain is the government, who are quite happy to reap the rewards with a 'fuel tax' for no discernible reason, then add vat.
If you look at any gov's tax website there isn't a reason why you have to pay it, you just have to. Alcohol and tobacco get really hammered.

It might be a good thing there's nothing like Ofgem for us, look at the out of touch mess they've created🤨
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I had a friend that worked in BP grangemouth, he could never understand why the BP garage in grangemouth was one of the highest priced BP garages in scotland.

Breakdown of the costs here: https://www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-d ... -breakdown
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

On a similar vein...

When I used to work on secondment to Wirral and West Cheshire NHS, I always found the petrol stations nearest to the Shell refinery at Ellesmere Port were far more expensive, than my local petrol stations 35 miles away in Manchester.

Strange but true.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Looks like prices are beginning to calm. Paid 159.9p per litre the other day, bargain!
May be time to give the V6 a run for the first time since March!
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Diesel is still high
David
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

True. Crude oil is down to 86 a barrel so with the 5p supposed tax reduction diesel should really be under £1.50 a ltr yet my local garages are £186.9, £179.9 and £178.9. for diesel.Not really on when everything else has gone so expensive!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmmm -
High £1.60s in my area for petrol (super market prices)
And high £1.70s for diesel...
With premium brands like BP, Esso, Texaco approx 6 to 8p per litre more.

Currently running at £1.77 per litre from my local Asda for diesel - the cheapest in a ten mile radius, apart from Costco who average 10p per litre less that the supermarkets.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Very, very weak Pond at the moment and oil is paid for in Dollars.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

What's odd round our way is that we keep finding randomly shell and BP are the same or only 1p to 2p difference with the supermarkets
David
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Shopping at Sainsbury's my wife got a 4p of a litre of fuel voucher but at 1.66 a litre it only brings it down to 1.62 the same as my local garage so no difference, just trying to con you into thinking you got a bargain.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:39 pm Hmmm -

Currently running at £1.77 per litre from my local Asda for diesel - the cheapest in a ten mile radius, apart from Costco who average 10p per litre less that the supermarkets.
Finding the likes of Jet and BP lower that the supermarkets up here at the moment, pennys, but still cheaper.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:39 pm Hmmm -

Finding the likes of Jet and BP lower that the supermarkets up here at the moment, pennys, but still cheaper.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I used to think that the supermarkets were cheap as they ran at near zero profit to get people into to buy the food. That cant be the case
David
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

That 159.9p/l price was a tesco in Suffolk when I was there on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Real bargain and 10p cheer than the next petrol station I came across.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Find the petrolprices app quite handy although beware some unscrupulous garage's are putting lower prices on the app to entice you in, the supermarkets are usually ok, the one I went to it said the price of super was 1.67, but when I got there it was 1.89. so I done what any sensible person would do and went in and updated it to what it really was! You can register for an account and go in and put in what the prices are.

Found sainsbury's in Braehead, near Glasgow was quite reasonable for super.