Heatwave!!!

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

vexorg

Heatwave!!!

Post by vexorg »

Yeah.... as I look out to a grey, very rainy day on the west of scotland....
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Heatwave!!!

Post by Robsey »

Don't worry, the rest of us in England are forecast to enjoy your Scottish weather from tomorrow.

Otherwise - it has been in the mid-20s all week so far in the North West of England.

I think the heatwave may be what is happening in and around London.
The weather forecasters always think nothing exists north of the Watford Gap.

Up in Scotland?? - you may as well be on Jupiter for all they care in met office land.

Besides - I am sure that our weather is currently monitored and forecasts are provided by a company in Germany - apparently they put in a cheaper bid / tender than our own uk met office a few years ago - lol.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

We keep hoping for this global warming to hit us too, but no, all these do-gooders are determined to keep us in the cold and rain.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Well global warming is obviously working as all the seasons merge to create a semi-permanent autumn.

Shorter (blink and you miss it) clear bright summers and Fewer proper snowy winters.
(I haven't be snowed-in since 2013...).
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

vexorg wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:07 pm We keep hoping for this global warming to hit us too, but no, all these do-gooders are determined to keep us in the cold and rain.
Be fair, the wind and rain is getting a bit warmer :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:47 pmBesides - I am sure that our weather is currently monitored and forecasts are provided by a company in Germany - apparently they put in a cheaper bid / tender than our own uk met office a few years ago - lol.
I'm glad the contract didn't go to Atos, the french company who tried to sue the government because they didn't win the tender.

Name sound familiar?
- The company employed by government to assess disability claims, with bonuses to fail people, responsible for suicides and hardship during the appeal process.
It's an IT company, all about numbers on a spreadsheet, not people :evil:

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm -we have been 'victims' of Atos a few times.
When appealing the last two claims at tribunal (in court), the judge found the assessors to be blatantly lying.

Although the wife has a lot of medical issues that will never improve, she still has to "play the game" by carrying out a new application every three years.

That comprises the initial application, which always get rejected - standard procedure to deter those who don't have the experience or will to fight the decision.

You are usually made to attend an interview with a medical professional to justify the next planned event, which is to reject your application.

Followed by an appeal that has to be made within a few weeks or you are out. which will be rejected based upon the lies of the assessor. All benefits stop on the appeal rejection.

Then appeal again - within a month, before waiting eleven months (I was quoted 40 weeks) without benefits before going to tribunal.

We are currently on our fifth application - STILL awaiting a decision from our last application in October / November 2021.

Yes for us they normally time it so we have financial uncertainty over the Christmas period.
They are nice that way.

Seven months is a long time waiting for the "Computer says No!!" letter.

(UPDATE:- I should explain that it is / was not an Atos only phenomenon - the DHSS / DSS / DWP (dependent upon year of claim) have ALWAYS gone out of their way to reject claims if they could find a way to do so)

Apologies for the mis-direction of the thread, but the moral of the story is...
Keep safe and well, because if you become disabled, the state will not help if they can avoid it - at all cost.
---------------------
Back to the weather - it hit 29.5°C yesterday, and looks like cracking the flags today. "Scorchio!!" :lol:

A good time to get out my old gas-less welder and give it a clean / service - ready for practicing on the van.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

vexorg wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:00 am Yeah.... as I look out to a grey, very rainy day on the west of scotland....
You must be close by vexorg. I

think we had Summer yesterday! getting close to either putting the heating on or a jumper tonight, with the cost of energy I think it will be the latter!

did someone mention global warming?
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

In Cumbria it's so cold I've had to resort to a jumper AND the heating on. Dont recall it ever being this cold in June/July before - must be global warming!
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Yet again, news of heatwave, water shortages, danger of dying,.... as I open to curtains to pouring rain this morning.

Just wait until we get independence, then we can get our own heatwaves too!!
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I will let you know next week...

We are on standby at work for an increase in excessive-heat related deaths.

The threat for Manchester is
31°C on Sunday.
35°C on Monday and
36°C on Tuesday...

I am hoping not, as that would be a bit uncomfortable.
Thankfully I am only working on Monday, so I can sort-of relax on the other two days.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Give me mild and overcast every time.

I don't understand why people go abroad to warmer climes, sunshine is beneficial in moderation but not heat.

For me, spending a week in uncomfortable heat on holiday then returning to normal life would just be depressing. I'm happier taking my chances with the uk weather :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

vexorg wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:16 am
Just wait until we get independence, then we can get our own heatwaves too!!
So let me fathom this out -
Whilst you are under English rule, you will not get any hot sunny weather?

I know that the UK government is (and always has been) a bunch of self-serving morons, but I wasn't aware that they had direct control of where the sun did or did not shine. That is some neat trick. :p. :lol: :lol:
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I'm sure that would sway some people in scotland!!!
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Are you implying that 'some' people from Scotland are that lacking in sense?

I could not comment - not something for a sassenach to imply :p
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

The weather was crazy today. Felt like being blown in the face with a hair dryer at full power!

It's still 28 degrees in our bedroom at gone midnight.

Everyone's cars OK?

Put a few towels over the windows of mine today. Was worried that the heat would start the headlining sagging or crack the dashboard. Luckily no damage caused.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Bit of a scorcher! I can understand why cars get covered in white sheets in the hotter countries. My CD lives outside under a cover that is reasonably light in colour so is slightly cooler than if not covered but it still causes my wax treatment to start running again!
My daily Astra is polar sea blue so reasonably dark, checked the surface temperature yesterday and it was 72 deg C!
Keep cool guys.

Alan