Train sets

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

James McGrath
Club Admin

Train sets

Post by James McGrath »

Anyone else got a layout?

Knole is closed at the moment because of the snow, so I had a bit of spare time today.
I finally put together a proper base board and assembled all my track for the first time.

It's nice to have it nailed down onto something that I can just lean up against the wall when I'm not using it. The thought of putting it back again always put me off getting it out.

Only a simple hornby trackmat layout at the moment with a couple of extra straights, but I've got lots of ideas for improvement already.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Train sets

Post by Robsey »

Hmmm - takes me back to my distant childhood.
My dad used to have a huge O-O (double oh) gauge train set in the early 70s at my first house.
It would fold down from the rear lounge wall.
My first memory was seeing a Flying Scotsman steaming around the track - probably Christmas morning 1973.

In 1974 we moved to our next home, and he built a huge layout along the width of the loft (attick with chipboard flooring).

In later years he scaled down to N gauge sets in whichever bedroom my older brother slept in.
Due to a marital split-up, he left in 1981 and we ceased to have a train set after that.

In the early 80s my interest moved to aeroplanes.
It helped living 6 miles out from the runway at Manchester ("Ringway", back then) on "2-4 finals".

I still like watching the odd documentary about steam railways. Never had much interest for anything later apart from the quirky sounding Deltics and I remember seeing the Mallard and the prototype tilting train at York train museum.

The Tilting APT-E.
Advanced Passenger Train - Circa 1976.

Obviously, the inspiration for the pendulinos used recently between London Euston and Manchester.

Just as a quick add-on.
I had a ride on the real Flying Scotsman, just before it's return to passenger service, at the East Lancs Railway.
It was in it's black "war time" livery during the restoration test runs.
It was running two ident numbers - 103 on one side of the cab and 60103 on the other side.
They weren't sure whether to go for the paler LNER green or the darker British Rail green back then.
I was saddened when I discovered that they had chosen the BR 60103 livery.
Being an old bugger, I preferred the original 4472 LNER livery.

Don't get me going on all the various Gresley Pacific body cowling / stream-lining shapes - lol.

Closet Anorak warning - lol
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I have 4 bags of track, and layout sat on the landing that I need to do something with. The aim is to carve some loft space out and get something built, but other things always take priority.

Nice to see your layout is taking some shape James.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The only track I have now is my Rover Metro Scalextric.
Packed away in the loft...

It does help having a young son -
Gives you an excuse to get out dad's toys and pretend that you are having good family play time with your infant son.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

"I remember seeing the Mallard and the prototype tilting train at York train museum.
Obviously, the inspiration for the pendulinos used recently between London Euston and Manchester."

Yes, the original tilting train was developed, designed and manufactured in Britain, but was then ridiculed by our newspapers and TV because a few reporters claimed to feel nauseous as it leaned into curves. So development funding was cut off and it never went into full passenger service. Then, when Virgin Trains took over the West Coast mainline and wanted tilting trains, they had to go to Italy to get them built.
Says it all really about the decline in manufacturing industry in Britain.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Got a collection of assorted train stuff from my youth up the loft, double 'O' guage if I remember rightly. Most of my collection is the BR 60s/70/80s diesel lines including a 125 in a messy box set and a class 47, which I bought in the early nougties - trying to relive my youth - but done nothing with it really; the train set, not my youth!

Playing about with trains getting the brushes changed and cleaning the tracks and connectors to help with conductivity (trying to get more speed), plus the light on the front of the 125 a bit brighter, got me into tinkering aspects of things, I also used to build Tamiya R/C cars, which was a bit more technical than a lego set.

Talking of which, I currently have a lego technic land rover defender that I am forever trying to finish as well!