I think I upset the company renowned for quick fitting

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

I think I upset the company renowned for quick fitting

Post by ilovedmymantas »

At the weekend the car started to sound more 'performance' than it really is. Although the hole in the back box (deemed a drain hole where none existed but passed two mot's!) had been increasing in size, this sounded worse :scratch .

Since I'm unable to get that low anymore I visited KF yesterday with the intention of replacing the unknown part(anything for a 'quiet' life :lol:). Turns out my middle section has blown and the back box needs replacing. The manager couldn't get one from his supplier so took my details. I think I may have jinxed it though when I said I had a new backbox. I guess that's when he lost interest, no extra sale and not interested in fitting customer parts.
-No return phone call so time to look elsewhere.

As it turns out, it's not an easy part to find. I've bought one from Poland "Produced from the highest quality aluminium and steel, made by Thyssen-Krupp" that'll take around two weeks to arrive.
I'm not expecting great quality tbh for less than £49 complete with gasket, bolts, rubbers and clamp but it has to be worth a punt.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: I think I upset the company renowned for quick fitting

Post by Robsey »

You are better off going to one of the independent back-street places.
I have such a place about 2 miles from where I live.
They quite happily fitted my GM original Bosal SRi back box that I had purchased myself - back in 2018.
A nominal fitting fee of about £30 left smiles all round.
I didn't have to roll around on the floor, and they had no come-back over parts warranty.

------------------

The problem with Kwik Fit especially, is that they want to charge a bill of at least £500 to make it worth their while.
They have been like that in my area for at least 30 years.

With the usual - " those two tyres are close to the limit" and "your front pads are low" routine.

Pah - go to a place that you have a good rapport with, not one of these get em in, get em out fast fit 'Dick Turpin' joints.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

KF are only good as emergency tyres in the evening, usually because most decent places are closed.
David
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I always believe in speaking as I find, and overall I've had some less than positive experiences with them. However the last time I went there was the day before I was about to go to France, and the wheels on my jag had badly gone out of balance, everywhere else wasn't interested unless I wanted tyres. The manager said if I left it with them for an hour he'd try and fit in in. When I came back it had all 4 wheels balanced and when it came to the bill he said give him a tenner in cash so him and the lad who did it could buy their lunchtime rolls. Everyone was happy.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

vexorg wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:42 am KF are only good as emergency tyres in the evening, usually because most decent places are closed.
They're not the out of hours service they used to be. Mon-Fri they close at six. Saturday five, Sunday four :( .

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

3cav3 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:47 am I always believe in speaking as I find, and overall I've had some less than positive experiences with them. However the last time I went there was the day before I was about to go to France, and the wheels on my jag had badly gone out of balance, everywhere else wasn't interested unless I wanted tyres. The manager said if I left it with them for an hour he'd try and fit in in. When I came back it had all 4 wheels balanced and when it came to the bill he said give him a tenner in cash so him and the lad who did it could buy their lunchtime rolls. Everyone was happy.
That was lucky. I had two wheels go out of balance on a 200 mile trip to a holiday destination recently. A rural garage with thick dust in reception fitted hammer-on weights :shock:. Now they're a horrible colour and bleeding black down the silver wheels :roll:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:15 am You are better off going to one of the independent back-street places.
I have such a place about 2 miles from where I live.
They quite happily fitted my GM original Bosal SRi back box that I had purchased myself - back in 2018.
A nominal fitting fee of about £30 left smiles all round.
I didn't have to roll around on the floor, and they had no come-back over parts warranty.
I agree. I only went there for a quick fix so I could take my mum on her fortnightly shopping trip. If they had said it was just the middle box I'd have been ok getting that done, as it is, at least I've got time to let my mum arrange another sibling to cover for me.

------------------
Robsey wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:15 am The problem with Kwik Fit especially, is that they want to charge a bill of at least £500 to make it worth their while.
They have been like that in my area for at least 30 years.

With the usual - " those two tyres are close to the limit" and "your front pads are low" routine.

Pah - go to a place that you have a good rapport with, not one of these get em in, get em out fast fit 'Dick Turpin' joints.
I got a quote of £550 for brake work years ago on the previous cav. I was more able then, I did it myself for £80. The manager at the time banned me/my car for using the free brake check as a diagnostic tool, I don't blame him tbh :lol:

I'll be taking it to my trusted garage, hopefully the back box will sit straight this time.
I'll need to dig it out to drill a drain hole (when did that become a thing?) and paint before the new middle section arrives.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

ilovedmymantas wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:34 am They're not the out of hours service they used to be. Mon-Fri they close at six. Saturday five, Sunday four :( .
I haven't used them for some time, used to be open until 8pm, and was handy when you work during the day.
David