Good Old Fashioned Pub Grub

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Good Old Fashioned Pub Grub

Post by Robsey »

I think I am turning into a grumpy old fart.

We are due to go out today for a nice pub lunch to celebrate the wife's birthday.

Maybe we are old fashioned, or dyed in the wool, but why does nobody do proper old pub grub any more?
We have been going to the same villages for well over thirty years... and almost as many as a married couple.
They used to remind us of our early days together.

Every year, we go to Bakewell, with hopes of a chippy dinner - like you do.
But none of the chippies are wheelchair accessible.
To find a cafe that she can sit in, means some strange concoction. Long gone is a BLT, now it is a bacon and brie with caramelised onions on a toasted ciabata.

Then mid-week, we go to the Derwent Valley and the nearby Inn.
Again a good old steak and ale pie with mash and vegetables...
Nope, it is now some arty farty menu full of mushrooms or something with paprika.
And a silly expensive price tag that you would be convinced includes bed and breakfast.

Surely we are not alone at not wanting a menu that is full of mushrooms, cheese or an array of spices that blow the roof of your mouth out.

Is it me, or has the world gone mad...?

I long for good home made cooking.
Not some pretentious plate of tree hugging cack, or spice laden rubbish.
And to pay a kings randsome for the disappointing privelage.

The only thing that remains on the menu, is some form of white line-caught fish, with triple cooked chips and mushy peas.

At least it ain't crappy limp French fries.

And there is only so many times you can visit a local hungry horse or similar to have the in-house carvery.
I can do a decent Sunday dinner in the comfort of my own home.... pah!

Rant over...
3cav3

Re: Good Old Fashioned Pub Grub

Post by 3cav3 »

Couldn't agree more with you, the traditional pubs from the the 80s and 90s seem to be long gone. Whats so wrong with having a pint and proper burger and chips?
About the only good thing from modern pubs is the lack if smog from people smoking.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

They are not pubs any more.
They are totally devoid of atmosphere, trying to be over diverse.

If I want an Indian inspired dish, I will go to an Indian, or they can do an Indian Night.
If I want Mexican, then same again... go to a Tex Mex or do a theme night.

Everything is a vegan special with plant cheese, not dairy, or spicey chilli-kick overkill, because it makes food 'more interesting'.
Real food is interesting, it doesn't need spices to pull it from blandness.

No!!!
What is wrong with a nice Cottage Pie with proper beef, a rich sauce and real mashed potato. Not some bland chalky substitute.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I think a lot of TV programmes (too many) on cooking have caused traditional restaurants to go 'up market' as they now believe everyone wants ponsey grub!

Alan
jgwilliamson

Post by jgwilliamson »

Couldn't agree more Rob.

It's the same up here in the north east of Scotland and you have to travel some way out of the city to get somewhere that offers a more traditional British menu. Luckily there is a nice pub in the country about 6 miles from us where you can get some "classics" such as Mac and cheese, Liver Bacon and Onions, Home made Steak Pie, Gammon Steak and Pineapple, Chicken Maryland, Roast of the Day and Mince and Tatties to name a few. :D (I'm feeling hungry !)

Another tradition that seems to have disappeared is "High Tea". Many years ago a highlight of a family run in the car was having "High Tea" in a country/village hotel on the way home. Now you're lucky if the village has a hotel, let alone one offering high tea.

Cheers,
John
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

There are still a few traditional pubs down in East Sussex and Kent.
Prices have gone way up since the pandemic though.
East Angela also has some nice pubs.
The majority do seem to be the non traditional type of which you speak but there is a good selection still down here with traditional still in the mix.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Aye, I miss the good old pub grub, majority of the pubs that did reasonable food closed round here, (priced I mean). As for trendy places, they need to stop, having food served on a bloody roofing slate is frustrating... Good old steak and ale pie, with chunky chips and a good coleslaw.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

It's upsetting to hear that there aren't many tradition places up north any more. I always thought that there would be more.

Here are a few around me:
https://windmillsevenoaksweald.com/
https://www.thebellkemsing.com/menu
https://www.roseandcrownwrotham.co.uk/