MOT soon

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

robstoke

MOT soon

Post by robstoke »

hey all.my MOT is due at the end of may.does evryone reckon i should take it in for an early test?keep thinkin of hanging on but i just want to get it in and see what happens.i spent most of my time worrying about things that its going to fail on,and the other day instead of thinking of a fail i thought of it passing and its give me hope that it is gonna pass.if i take it in early its done then and plus i can find out earlier if its good or bad :wave
FoxyCav

Re: MOT soon

Post by FoxyCav »

I took mine for an early test this year because ...well because ive had 5 years of no huge bills and thought, i'm deffo gonna get one this year :roll: I HATE mot time, despite gaz saying we can sort it if it needs jobs.

took it and it passed (again woooohoooo) 2 advisories which where nowt really. If you take it at least you have an idea of what needs doing before the MOT runs out :mrgreen: Might surprise you and need nowt doing :D
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

nice that it passed :D .am gonna take it early and hopefully il be putting it up on here that it passed with flying colours with my head held high :cheers . il start praying now :wave
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Have a good look round it and underneath and provided it looks sound you should be fine.
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

I went to get my tax yesterday and then noticed the MOT runs out on Friday. I am sure its going to fail on something I have missed, my cars always do. Fortunatly my garage had a space Friday and they are good lads. here is hoping ... fingers crossed. If I had a chance I would of sent it in a month early to give me time to get stuff fixed in time.
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

cheers colorado.good luck ratcav.i reckon we will both be fine.and we will be puttin up pics of our cavs with the mot certificate stuck on the bonnet.haha :lol: .cheers men :wave
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Thats what i like to hear!
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Hopefully so. I spent the day down the scrappy grabbing all those things I needed for the MOT I thought was in June. Like the bracket to hold the battery down. Replacement front seat belt clips (as the old ones had gone off, but still held the seatbelt). Looking from front to back for anything that might be amiss.

Oh and the start of the installation of the rear grab handle lights from a CDX :D
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Good stuff be bad to fail on little things like battery clamps.
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Yeah. I am just concerned about emissions, and tyres. They are quite low. Not down to the marker yet, but getting close. As for emissions I dread that. Thing is its a pain to resolve if failed.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

As long as the tyres are not illegal they cant say anything. As for the emissions give it a good long run before you take it in sometimes if the engines all nice and warm they do better on the emmision check
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Well Rob I hope you faired better than me. Mine failed :

001 - Nearside Headlamp aim too low
002 - Offside Headlamp aim too low
003 - Regitration plate lamp not working
004 - Exhaust emmissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive
005 - Exhaust emmissions carbon monoxide content at 2nd fast idle excessive
006 - Nearside front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated rsulting in excessive movement
007 - Nearside (front to rear) Brake pipe excessively corroded

Nothing too major apart from the Cat.

001 - Slight tweak upwards
002 - Slight tweak upwards
003 - Replaced for 69p
004 - Replace the Cat for £75 and hopefully will reduce those CO emissions
005 - See point 004
006 - Replace wishbone for £15
007 - Get garage to fix as I don't touch brake lines but quoted £55 to replace entire line from front to back

Total cost including MOT - £262 ... ouch!!!
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

ouch mate.bad news eh.im not takin mine for a couple of weeks now.money tight again.but when i do take it for mot it will still be 3 weeks early.sorry to hear about the fail mate.you will get it sorted though :wave
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Well I have the Cat on order. The wishbone is on the back seat. I have put a new bulb in and that works. Just need to fix all I can and adjust the headlights.
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Sorry to hear the Cav didnt pass mate, i guess i must be lucky with this car (keeps finger tightly crossed). Sure you'll have it sorted soon :mrgreen:
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

im not a mechanic but i think you av fitted the wishbone in the wrong place.think it goes underneath the car near the wheels :scratch :lol: :lol: :lol: .whateva happens with mine though i will fix her back up.unless its really bad then i may be makin a tough decision. :wave
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Shame about that. Not a lot you can do about things like brakelines except get the garage to do it. Emmisons are alway a pain in the arse. I am dreading mine.
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

emissions.if mine failed on emissions how would they go about curing it??my model apparently doesnt need a cat,but if the emissions were too bad would i be made to get one on??
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

robstoke wrote:im not a mechanic but i think you av fitted the wishbone in the wrong place.think it goes underneath the car near the wheels :scratch :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dammit better get that sorted before next wednesday when it goes back in for the re-test. Explains why the passenger was complaining about the hard ride :D

Yeah brake lines are something I never touch. I just don't trust myself when it comes to it. Dont mind doing the very end flexi parts as they are easy to change and bleed out. Its just the main run from the front I worry about. The other one had an advisory on it so when I get some cash in hand will get the other one done as well.

As for emissions on diesels I think they are a bit more tolerant. Dunno, but my Frontera was a real belcher and it sailed through. What you have to remember with diesels is that they produce a lot of soot when booted (which I think is kind of cool in a "leave your mark on that chav in his blinged up Saxo behind you revving his engine trying to impress")
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

haha.nice one ratcav.i was laughin for about half an hour when i wrote that.lol.about emissions,as i said before evry day is different with me cav.some mornings it starts up and a bit of smoke comes out,sometimes start her up and smoke comes out but it stinks quite bad(overpowering fumage).but as soon as shes been ticking over for 30 seconds you dont see any more smoke the whole time that im driving it :wave
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Thats the thing. As someone said. When you go for it take the long route and make sure she is nice and warm. Everything tends to run better and cleaner then.
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

take it the long way round or give the exhaust system a once over with the dyson. :D :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

To me, my Cavalier means everything to me, so for the last MOT, turned out to be £275. (most of it was labour and new headlamps) it all went out without hassle, because she means everything to me. Do what you can, buddy, because these cars mean more than something to people like us. I went to my local Tesco earlier, parked next to a Kings Blue GLS saloon, in front of that was a white CD K-reg saloon which was sold days ago just down the road. Makes me so happy to know theyre still running, but at the same time makes me :cry to see their painwork faded and dry and scratches here and there :( As for mine, i do what i can to keep her running ;)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Same here i want to keep it on the road for as long as i can
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

How'd it go?

As for emissions on a 92, pre cat Cavalier, not much it can fail on really.
A good healthy servicing will reduce any likely issues there. :mrgreen:
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index