How far can you go on a tank of petrol?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Mort

How far can you go on a tank of petrol?

Post by Mort »

so I filled by 2l 16v (X20XEV) Cav to the brim last time I put petrol in it, and tonight I ran out of petrol having done 390 miles (luckily right outside my house...). I thought it might be interesting to see how far everyone else can go on a tank of petrol...
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
Redorado

Re: How far can you go on a tank of petrol?

Post by Redorado »

how many litres what that ?
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

should be the standard 60 litres for a cav

that works out to be 29.5 mpg on average
Mort

Post by Mort »

RatCav wrote:should be the standard 60 litres for a cav
Correct :D
RatCav wrote:that works out to be 29.5 mpg on average
I didn't think to work that out (that's what I'm getting my trip computer reprogrammed to do for me). At least I know what sort of value to expect....
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

iv never filled the tank on me cav.i put a tenner in her the other week and got 140 miles out of it.but hey,it is a diesel. ;) . :wave
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

robstoke wrote:iv never filled the tank on me cav.i put a tenner in her the other week and got 140 miles out of it.but hey,it is a diesel. ;) . :wave

Which is 63.7 mpg :D

Best thing about diseasels is the economy.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ive never filled mine up and with the ecu light on im not going to expect wonders.
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

i think the most i got from the cav was about 450 miles, in the corsa however i drive i always seem to average 48 mpgish
loving cavaliers since 1978
Squig

Post by Squig »

No idea but depends on speeds of roads travelled on as I can get 50mpg+ with CC in 30 zones and 37-39mpg on flat motorways using the CC... However my driving does average 35mpg on combined M,A & B roads... 29-32mpg urban only in poor traffic (start/stop)...

then again I've managed less than 7mpg :lol:
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

it all depends on how you drive aint it.i like mine cuz i was late for work the other day and i was working in manchester.started the car up and the fuel gauge needle was on the red and i didnt have enough time to get fuel,so i risked it(thinkin if i needed to i could fuel up somewhere along the way)but i actually got to work and back again without needing to stop for fuel and my gauge hardly moved.good times :santa :wave :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Never tried emptying a whole tank before, however i was very surprised at something else. I ran it down from the start of the orange warning bit on the gauge. I drove around that day, non-stop around town and a little dual carriageway, got over 50 miles and didnt run out. I did then visit the gas station as i didnt fancy my chances being stranded with an automatic :lol: Still, for a 1.8 auto, i was pretty impressed. Interesting how much gas there's still available with the warning light shining. :)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

yeah.when i had a astramax diesel van the needle went a good 1/4 of an inch below the very bottom of the red marker.i actually dont know why i let it get that low in the first place.must of been skint :raindeer :wave :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

lol ye. there's an issue with both types of fueling-up. Either fill it up and keep topping up, or keep it running at low all the time. The latter is more fun when you're after sporty driving, and cheaper, but the first way seems more practical. i've never filled the tank to the full because i dont really have £60 to spend on fuel lol. But i try to keep her topped up at around half full normally. :wave
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

think filling my tank up would be the best option for me.bet it would last for ages.gonna do it soon and see what i can get out of it.haha.hopefully i wont av to go a petrol station for a month.haha :wave :wave
jambo_sri130

Post by jambo_sri130 »

God, I'm lucky if I get 300m! Saying that, the only time I ever fill my tank to the brim is when I'm goin up north. I always say I'm gonna drive conservatively to save fuel but twisty, nicely flowing roads like next to Loch Lomond are too tempting and mostly 3rd gear. Then you have the long open straights further north that are impossible to resist and the driving conservative idea goes straight out the window!
Sticking feathers up your arse does not make you a chicken!
robstoke

Post by robstoke »

theres something going on here.i mentioned before that i did 140 miles on a tenner.well,iv put £15 in and i clocked up 165 miles on it.im being shortchanged somewhere.lol. :wave :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, happens a lot buddy, but it just turns out to be about simple scientific facts. How you drive, what temperature the gas is at when its put in the tank, how much was left over from the previous fill-up, condition of the vehicle, plus a whole number of things. trust me, its a bugger lol. If everything was computer-controlled, i mean everything, then things would work out much more efficient and simple. :D
Previous:

robstoke

Post by robstoke »

did it again last week.went manchester and back with the gauge just above the red.hehe.gettin a bit of a habit now.but knowing me my luck will run out soon,and il get stuck in major roadworks somewhere along the way and will be stranded.lol.oh,and im going maplins 2morra for me LEDS.day on the cav 2morra.im going to hoover it and evrything.god,hoover.going av a lye down now.started spinning.haha.cheers mate :wave :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:D let me know how you get on dude :D i want progress :twisted: :lol: Get 500 LEDs in by the evening or i'll get Mr. T on you in his Huey helicopter with Snickers machine guns :twisted: (if you've seen the tv ad) :lol:
Previous:

robstoke

Post by robstoke »

Cavalier342 wrote::D let me know how you get on dude :D i want progress :twisted: :lol: Get 500 LEDs in by the evening or i'll get Mr. T on you in his Huey helicopter with Snickers machine guns :twisted: (if you've seen the tv ad) :lol:
haha.mr.T is mint.i still laugh at the one where they are playin football and he comes smashing through the wall in his tank and lobs that snickers at that lad.genious. :lol: :lol: :wave :wave
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i get about 420 miles out of a tank of fuel on my omega elite, that's a 3.0i v6, but mrs ilovemyelite gets close to 500 as she doesn't accelerate quite so hard. we do about 450 miles a week in her backwards and forwards to work and in current fuel prices that equates to about £60 a week i think. that's not too bad really for a lump that big, but it is mainly A and B roads, no town driving. 8-)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye :D glad you understood what i was on about :lol:
I prefer the latest advert...... OOHHH that Belll UH1 Huey combat helicopter...... :shock: :shock: :shock:
sorry, i have a real big softspot for aircraft and anything military concerned :D
Previous:

robstoke

Post by robstoke »

that seems like a million more miles than i do a week.sayin that im gonna be doin a lot of miles this week as im in manchester all week apart from monday.450 sound good for what car you have.(ilovemyelite) :wave dont think iv seen the new snickers ad.if i have it was when i ws drunk and i cant remember it.will look out for it in future.went past a house on the outskirts of stoke the other week and someone had a helicopter in there garden.oh,the life eh.sayin that,i bet it isnt as good on fuel as me cav :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave :wave :wave :wave
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

well.... considering those old warbirds have to use like 500 liters per mission that probably doesnt last longer than an hour, then let me think about it :D :lol: I think even my 1.8i auto may be in winning chance in fuel economy :lol: :lol: :wave
Previous:

Cavyman_130

Post by Cavyman_130 »

I do alot of miles a week, a tank lasts me a week, I usually put in about 45-50 litres of fuel, I run mine on v-power and can return usually 450-460 miles, but the most I have had out a tank was 510 miles.