Other members

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

Other members

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hey guys :)
Just wondering, whats happened to all the members who joined up like a year ago, and havent logged in since then? I was sent a link to here via a member called srigirl, but she hasnt signed in for ages. As well as loads of other members, when you look at their last sign in date, its like over a year or so :? :( Makes me think, why, you know :?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Squig

Re: Other members

Post by Squig »

they sign up get bored and leave

a lot signed in quiet periods and didn't start topics then drifted off because there is only so much admin and mods can do to start topics
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

seems such a shame :( Especially when there are people like you and me, keeping the Cavalier in our hearts and doing our best to keep the Cavalier living. Hell, We're still here i guess, it shows who the true owners are :twisted:
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

As far as im aware Dana(sri girl) has taken a break from forums , she hasnt been on ours for ages, but she has got her own (OVOC i think) but last time i was on there her and her bloke were having a break from that as well :mrgreen:

Its mainly what squig says, people sign up then forget they signed up or they just dont bother posting, we really should auto prune the members down who havent posted, but will leave that till gaz get back online. Theres also the ones who sign up just to flog their car :wall :wall . Tend to find them posting in the welcome section when they realise they cant do it in the for sale bit. I get to be power mad and delete them, cheeky swines :lol:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i guess not everyone can be as cool as us :cool :p
Squig

Post by Squig »

yeah... and nobodies as cool as me! WOOOOOOO! SQUIG!!!

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Squig wrote:yeah... and nobodies as cool as me! WOOOOOOO! SQUIG!!!
:lol: Got that right, Mr. Diversity ;) :mrgreen:
FoxyCav wrote:As far as im aware Dana(sri girl) has taken a break from forums , she hasnt been on ours for ages, but she has got her own (OVOC i think) but last time i was on there her and her bloke were having a break from that as well :mrgreen:

Its mainly what squig says, people sign up then forget they signed up or they just dont bother posting, we really should auto prune the members down who havent posted, but will leave that till gaz get back online. Theres also the ones who sign up just to flog their car :wall :wall . Tend to find them posting in the welcome section when they realise they cant do it in the for sale bit. I get to be power mad and delete them, cheeky swines :lol:
Ye, i see that a lot, it really winds me up. Like i see on the "newest member" line, it has a new username, then i expect to see a post from that username in the welcome section, and it turns out their first post is in the Wanted section :shock: :x :roll: Anybody got this? anybody got that? There's gotta be some way of telling people that this is a wonderfully respected owners club, not just a parts store. :roll:
Previous:

Mort

Post by Mort »

Cavalier342 wrote:Ye, i see that a lot, it really winds me up. Like i see on the "newest member" line, it has a new username, then i expect to see a post from that username in the welcome section, and it turns out their first post is in the Wanted section Anybody got this? anybody got that? There's gotta be some way of telling people that this is a wonderfully respected owners club, not just a parts store.
I have to say I disagree with you on that point. We should be encorouging members of the site to feel welcome and have a positive experience of using the site. If that means that they just want to find a part for their Cav (or sell one) and then move on then that is up to them. Hopefully while they are around they will see that we have a good community building up here and want to stick around and be part of it. But not everyone will want to join the community, and while I think that that is their loss, it is still their choice.

I have seen a couple of threads recently bemoaning the lack of members and participation in this forum, but there is a lot more that the administrators could (and should?) be doing to make this forum more appealing. The "How to's" section is looking particularly sparse (there isn't even a how to about reading your engine fault codes). I know that this information is available elsewhere but that means that people will go elsewhere to get it and not build up the community here. The only reason that I use this fourm is that I deliberatly don't use somewhere like Vxon, which has many more "How To's" (any admins talked with anyone on that site (and others) about the possibility of copying them here as well?) a bigger user community (including regional groups) and a lot more information.

I can see that this community can become something special to Cav owners, which is why I'm here (and will hopefully still be allowed to be here after this post). But if the view of the admins is that improvements to the forum to make it more useful to the members will be made after the community has grown, then I will expect the wait to be VERY long, and will probably eventually follow everyone else to the forums that are already more useful...
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
Squig

Post by Squig »

Mort wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:Ye, i see that a lot, it really winds me up. Like i see on the "newest member" line, it has a new username, then i expect to see a post from that username in the welcome section, and it turns out their first post is in the Wanted section Anybody got this? anybody got that? There's gotta be some way of telling people that this is a wonderfully respected owners club, not just a parts store.
I have to say I disagree with you on that point. We should be encorouging members of the site to feel welcome and have a positive experience of using the site. If that means that they just want to find a part for their Cav (or sell one) and then move on then that is up to them. Hopefully while they are around they will see that we have a good community building up here and want to stick around and be part of it. But not everyone will want to join the community, and while I think that that is their loss, it is still their choice.

I have seen a couple of threads recently bemoaning the lack of members and participation in this forum, but there is a lot more that the administrators could (and should?) be doing to make this forum more appealing. The "How to's" section is looking particularly sparse (there isn't even a how to about reading your engine fault codes). I know that this information is available elsewhere but that means that people will go elsewhere to get it and not build up the community here. The only reason that I use this fourm is that I deliberatly don't use somewhere like Vxon, which has many more "How To's" (any admins talked with anyone on that site (and others) about the possibility of copying them here as well?) a bigger user community (including regional groups) and a lot more information.

I can see that this community can become something special to Cav owners, which is why I'm here (and will hopefully still be allowed to be here after this post). But if the view of the admins is that improvements to the forum to make it more useful to the members will be made after the community has grown, then I will expect the wait to be VERY long, and will probably eventually follow everyone else to the forums that are already more useful...
Right not looking to cause offense here but there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes, as it were, that won't become evident for a while yet. Please don't bemoan the admin for not doing more, we all work hard for you guys, we do all this in or spare time and we rely on our community users to help us add content. No offense people but I have NO intention of stripping and rebuilding my cav for how-2's without needing to do the work first :lol:
If you want a speific how 2 then ask us, if you want to make a suggestion toward the site then feel free and we will do what we can.
There is a few things I'll like to see and one of them is this site grow and expand towards the ultimate vauxhall cav repository.
I would say, from experience, that this site has one of the best attitudes out there as I've used VW and Audi sites recently for Cath's Mk2 Golf and had, at best, no response.
Please feel free to add How 2's or any other content you may find useful, if you can't add it send it to me on PM and I'll add it.

Regional groups have been avoided ATM as none of the admin/mods have the time for this, I mean, I personally don't see the need for regions yet, as we are small, why can't people just organise regular meets and greets for the area they live in?

Squig

Post by Squig »

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Now whilst I do not enjoy upsetting people, I feel I may at this point.

In the beginning I worked rather hard putting together How2's, taking my car to bits and going through things step by step and jotting down pointers and expanding what normally could be considered "bare minimum info" that you sometimes get on other sites - I got very little input or response and have since not really bothered.

As said, if there is a How2 you require information on, do send a request and we will see what can be done. As for copying other peoples work, well we could but without doing it ourselves, couldn't be 100% confident the information is correct, or indeed relavent.

The How2's are catorised, so you might find the search feature of the forum more to your advantage.

Thanks for your comments, and feel free to submit a How2 if you have one in mind.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i've been prepping some more 'how 2' stuff and will add as soon as i get a chance. admin efforts do not go unnoticed! early days... this club can and should/will grow...
Mort

Post by Mort »

Squig wrote:viewtopic.php?f=46&t=630

Fault codes
Fair cop, I missed that (when I was checking my facts I checked the engine section and not the maintenance section, a proper search would have found it)
Squig wrote:Right not looking to cause offense here but there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes, as it were, that won't become evident for a while yet. Please don't bemoan the admin for not doing more, we all work hard for you guys, we do all this in or spare time and we rely on our community users to help us add content. No offense people but I have NO intention of stripping and rebuilding my cav for how-2's without needing to do the work first
I hope that we can all agree that no-one here is intending to cause any offence. If I have then I'm truly sorry, for that wasn't my intention. I just felt that I had a point that, imho, was worth making. I'm not suggesting that it is worth listening to...

If there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to the forum, why not put up a news thread and tell the members about it. That would give us the chance to help you out where possible and lighten the load a bit, as well as showing the direction the community is heading and the progress that is being made in getting there. I truly appreciate how hard it is to find spare time to devote to your hobbies, and the admins, mods & users should all be proud that this little community is one of the most friendly, accepting and supportive that I have come across on the internet.
Squig wrote:Regional groups have been avoided ATM as none of the admin/mods have the time for this, I mean, I personally don't see the need for regions yet, as we are small, why can't people just organise regular meets and greets for the area they live in?
Other forums spread the administrative burden with regional moderators. With regards to the need for regions and organising regular meets, how do people know if there are other active members in their area? Where would they post threads to organise these meets, in a way that would make them obvious to other people interested in them? When you already know active members of the site that live near to you, it's much easier to organise regular meets. I would argue that because we are such a small community anything that helps active members get in touch with other active members local to them would help strengthen the community.
Squig wrote:If you want a speific how 2 then ask us, if you want to make a suggestion toward the site then feel free and we will do what we can.
Rather than me suggesting specific How To's here, why not create a request thread in the How To section? That way people that can't find the How To they want can request it somewhere where more experienced members of the site can check often, and look into answering them. And remember, the How To's don't have to be complicated Cav specific things, I'm sure that there are lots of the more casual or new members that would appreciate simple How To's describing general car maintenance (a picture guide to how (and more importantly when) to change oil is something I would find useful for example, even though anyone that does even simple car maintenance would assume that that is common knowledge).

Envoy CDX wrote:In the beginning I worked rather hard putting together How2's, taking my car to bits and going through things step by step and jotting down pointers and expanding what normally could be considered "bare minimum info" that you sometimes get on other sites - I got very little input or response and have since not really bothered.
Then that is very sad, because the How To's that are complete are of a very high standard and are very useful.

ilovemyelite wrote:admin efforts do not go unnoticed! early days... this club can and should/will grow...
I absolutely agree with this point. Like I have said, I'm not trying to upset anyone here. I like the community here and will be looking for ways to do my bit to help it flourish.
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Idea's will be taken on board, alot of the time it's just finding the right time and thinking them through to implement, which I'm sure everyone will agree with doesn't always present itself with flags waving.

I'll tinker on with some How2's over the weekend, see what people think. :mrgreen:
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

have added a new how 2 and have put a request in regarding this section under 'site suggestions', one which i think would make a big difference:

how 2:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2778

how 2 site suggestion:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2779&p=24001
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Like the How2, suggestion is bouncing round my noggin, still trying to work out what your saying (just got up)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

well ive given it a trial run for now, it does look like it will stay like this but its not much work to put it back if needed.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Gaz wrote:well ive given it a trial run for now, it does look like it will stay like this but its not much work to put it back if needed.
Looks better and "busier" if you know what I mean?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

like it