Did you have a bmx?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

Did you have a bmx?

Post by Gaz »

Me and turbodan were talking about our old bmx's and realising that they are worth a fortune and how we should have kept them
museum01_lg.jpg
1983 Raleigh Extra Burner

mine was this one
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/raleigh/3697

I remember years later after i sold it, it turning up in the school bike sheds. i knew i should have bought it back thou i would have looked bloody stupid riding it today (6ft 3)
TurboDan

Re: Did you have a bmx?

Post by TurboDan »

I used to have one of these:

I swapped something i had for it off a mate, sure it was a football or something like that, sumthing stupid anyway lol. Then like you do when your a kid, left it outside my house one night basically forgot to bring it in. And next day it was gone!

And now there worth allot of money, ahh well.......
jambo_sri130

Post by jambo_sri130 »

Oh my god! Lmfao! Where did the time go? I had a raleigh burner, it was a god among bmx's! At least in my opinion! Haha that was about 20yrs ago! I feel so old now thanks guys lol
Sticking feathers up your arse does not make you a chicken!
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

Remember mine n dans getting nicked outside nigels news in reddish we were in there that long hahaha, never did get mine back
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

lol i got mine back in one piece although they nicked the things i had on the spokes, you know the little bead things you used to get in kellogs!
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I got a Grifter for Xmas one year long long ago insted of a bmx that I wanted.

Ive had a look on the web and found a pic of one in the colour mine was.

I used to think it was great having a twist grip to change between the 3 gears.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

TurboDan wrote:lol i got mine back in one piece although they nicked the things i had on the spokes, you know the little bead things you used to get in kellogs!
spokey dokes

http://ijustwantaneasylife.blogspot.com ... dokes.html

You used to get like 4 a pack so you were forever eating just to get a few more each time.
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

lol remember crushing a can and jammin it on your back tyre to sound like a motorbike!
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i remember doing it with the 10p cartons that were probably just water and colour.

no labels at all other than on the lid, probably had a million E numbers in them
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

oh those ones where you didnt use a straw you turned it upside down and chewed a hole in the bottom lol
wullie

Post by wullie »

i had a raleigh burner aero, it was chrome with bear trap style pedals that could make a mess of the old shins lol when i was about l,
then i got a GT vertigo whan i was about 14 fully tricked wi stunt pegs, gyro and other bits and pieces that was ma baby, then it got nicked and i got it back but the body had flung it into a bonfire so i didn't trust the frame, And only a few years ago i had a Specialized bmx like the GT tricked out and it got nicked from my shed never to be seen again, i'm 26 and would love another bmx as there gr8 fun, sure some of you's are the same ;)
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

lmao this thread just makes me feel old, not coz im 31 but coz i simply cant for the life of me remember the name of my BMX, it was silver and had 5 spoke whells which were black :?
loving cavaliers since 1978
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

those blue and yellow motherlovers were awesome. we had 'universal' equivalents. i don't know if this was halfords version of the day or not, too young to realise really, but we weren't well off enough for a proper bmx. i had a black one with yellow wheels. my mate had the same one in red. and another mate had a grifter. i remember racing down a hill one day with them and the brakes on the red one failed and my pal went straight into a garage wall, flat on. ouch.

before that i had a fake-chopper. this was awesome and i musta been about 8 or 9 or something and round the corner from where we lived was the local secondary school. anyway these girls were walking home from school and i remember looking over and smiling at them and when i pulled the brake i pulled the front one and went straight over the handlebars. landed face first into the concrete. i was a mess and my teeth were badly damaged. despite pouring blood from every oriface these same girls took me and my mangled bike and face home (down the road).

i dont know what was worse, the humiliation in front of these girls or the aniseptic face bath i got on my torn flesh. mmn. nice.
cavy130sri

Post by cavy130sri »

i owned a bmx releigh, i can't remember anymore than that, not even the colour. my mate's one on the other hand was a nice black and gold type. it was awsome, i think he got it just before i got mine, his birthday was before mine. i was very jealous and hounded my mum and dad for one, to my amazement they got me one too.

i remember going to meet my mate dave, we went under the underpass to get to the big park, he dismounted and walked down the stairs but i was braver and rode down the ramp, and yea there was a u-ey half waydown. i thought i had the corner sussed in my new bmx and thought i was invincable on it. i didn't even need the brakes, i thought. and yea yo guessed it, ful speed into thecorner, a solid concrete wall. the bike was fine but the family jewels were, needless to say a little tender. i limped the rest of the way to the park, my friend laughing all the way. serves me right.

which brings me on to another topic, does anyone remember the film bmx biker, i am sure that's what it was called, but i loved it at thetime, watching dude son bmx's riding all over a building site? not sure but i thought it was all the rage back then.
I now have an ebook, of my own creation, to download to your ereader. ipad, iphone, ipod touch and the kindle. check out my website at http://www.charlesfbond.com for more details.
SRiTez

Post by SRiTez »

Dimondback, can't remember who made them, had "H" bars, mushroom grips, bear trap pedals and rear trick nuts only so my mates could get a lift.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

cavy130sri wrote: which brings me on to another topic, does anyone remember the film bmx biker, i am sure that's what it was called, but i loved it at thetime, watching dude son bmx's riding all over a building site? not sure but i thought it was all the rage back then.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085204/
branny361

Post by branny361 »

no i had a chopper ..... the original !!
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

branny361 wrote:no i had a chopper ..... the original !!
We used to take the piss out of the lad with the chopper, the same lad who ran home crying when he set off our house alarm while we were out, crying to his mum that garys house was gonna call the police on him.
branny361

Post by branny361 »

:lol: ive got a new chopper now ....... one with a wooden handle ...(here's johnny !!!) wanna see it in action on yer front door ? :p

the old cav vid

the new saab vid
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

its plastic but sure knock yourself out
branny361

Post by branny361 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the old cav vid

the new saab vid
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

I never had a BMX, but had two Grifters (not at the same time!). I think the 3 gears didn't work more often than they did, but they were still fun bikes!
brettscav

Post by brettscav »

omg, i had a grifter XL whoo hoooo! was heavy as hell but had flashy gears. if i remember rightly you had the red XL, a blue one, a silver one and the top one was black and gold.......... why were they fasionable??????? traded mine in for a milk race racer........

i also had a home painted red bmx with yellow tyres.

how old do i feel now...........
current: white 1991 H 1.8GL saloon; Blue 1993 L 1.8LS saloon

prev 1994 M 1.8LS, 1992 J 2.0GL, 1985 B 1.6GL, 1982 Y 1.6GL, 1979 V 1.6GL
and she wanted a mondeo.....................
cavalierclaire

Post by cavalierclaire »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: