Cold morning tip

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

Cold morning tip

Post by Cavalier342 »

I found a not-so-bad trick this morning to get heat a bit quicker through the fans after an icy start in the morning. Dont even have to open the bonnet. Basically, i got a couple of jug fulls of hot water and poured it under the bonnet, where the wiper spindles are. This then sinks down into the drain, like rainwater, and out through the elephant trunk in the bay. Now, because the fans get air drawn in through that area, if there's warm steam coming from the hot water, it sucks it in and helps warm up a bit quicker. Dont know if anyone else tried it, but i think it helped a bit this morning. Also, i discovered ice in the washer reservoir, so i sprayed loads of de-icer in there and poured a bit of the hot water in there too. That definitely helped, as before i had to wait forever for the jets to work because the washer fluid was frozen lol.
Hope this helps a bit.
Andrei. :wave
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
vauxtillidie

Re: Cold morning tip

Post by vauxtillidie »

my jets didnt want to work till mid afternoon today, and thats after driving it on and off since 8 this morning
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Terry

Post by Terry »

Can't say tipping water over your car to run onto the floor and freeze is a good idea. I'd probably slip on the frozen water afterwards :lol:
Rather than spray de-icer into your washer bottle fill a trigger bottle with water and screen wash, Keep it in the car and spray a bt on the windscreen when they're dirty, Then use your wipers.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Not sure I'd go with these methods either. smallest splash of hot water on a frozen windscreen and pop is a serious possiblity.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Terry

Post by Terry »

Envoy CDX wrote:Not sure I'd go with these methods either. smallest splash of hot water on a frozen windscreen and pop is a serious possiblity.
Which is why the bottle is left in the car, Water will be similar temp as the screen.
I always have the wipers running before I spray the water on so it doesn't freeze.
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

I think a good one is to make sure you pull your wipers off the screen first thing, you dont want the wipers going and the rubbers still stuck to the bottom of the screen.

I do this religously in cold weather:

Pull wipers free of screen,
start car up,
remove rear wiper blade from arm and scrape the roof, windows, bonnet and boot lid clear.
once inside, then use wipers with door shut so you dont get a snow drift inside! The car is ready to go then and half way to being nice and toasty.

Ive noticed my washer jets defrst a little quicker than the rest of the bonnet, i dont think there heated, but i do think there is 2 holes in the insulation so the heat from the engine thaws them. Ideally, if a decent washer fluid is used, it shouldnt freeze.

Pouring hot water into a icy cars nooks and crannies seem a bad idea, not only can the screen shatter, but everything contracts in cold weather(water being the exception), so you pour hot water onto icey plugs, wires even mechanisms(wiper linkages are only nylon ball & socket), and I cant see why it couldnt lead to failure as it returns to normal size. I doubt having steam sucked through the vents would be a good idea either, the moisture will have to go some where, and will end up in the worst place.

Warm gradually introduced heat is the best bet.
"Redefining success since 1981"
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

if its real cold like it was this morning ill go out 10 mins before and start the car, get out and lock it with a spare key and come indoors for a cuppa , by the time iv finished my tea the car is warm and defrosted
loving cavaliers since 1978
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Oh right. didnt notice there were so many negative points about it. All i know is it helped get the fans a bit warmer. Obviously i know about the windscreen bit. I'd never split the screen doing that.
Carlos, I know the wiper idea, i used it all the time, leaving the wipers up overnight so the blades dont stick to the screen in the morning.
As for the nooks and crannies, i dont mean literaly boil them to warm them up, i just mean a bit of hot water to gradually help warm everything up.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I have been using the Brush off a small Dustpan and brush set to wipe all the snow off the car, works a treat and won't scratch the paint.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

yes i use the soft brush. I have seem some use the scraper to do the bonnet and roof eek :o
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Cavalier342 wrote:Carlos, I know the wiper idea, i used it all the time, leaving the wipers up overnight so the blades dont stick to the screen in the morning.
As for the nooks and crannies, i dont mean literaly boil them to warm them up, i just mean a bit of hot water to gradually help warm everything up.
No one said leave the wipers up over night.

How hot is hot? boiling, just below boiling, what? The slightest temperature change can cause rapid expansion of components and permanent damage. Even bothering to try and speed up the defrosting process is stupid, let it warm up gradually and get up or be ready 10 minutes early.
"Redefining success since 1981"
sri-tourer

Post by sri-tourer »

i think k1ngy has the best idea just start it then let it do the de-iceing itself lol,and ya can have a nice hot brew.... ;)
needs a whootush like the tubby's......