Turbo's are so "Unreliable" and "Bad on fuel" Thread , Squig

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

HAIRIBO

Re: Turbo's are so "Unreliable" and "Bad on fuel" Thread , Squig

Post by HAIRIBO »

I like the cavalier turbo!.................................. But then............ I like the Cavalier v6!............................... But which one is better?......................................

Only one way to find out..............................................
C30XE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

buy a turbo, sell the engine, fit a v6 and turbo it.
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

HAIRIBO wrote:I like the cavalier turbo!.................................. But then............ I like the Cavalier v6!............................... But which one is better?......................................

The XE !! But an 8V is more practical and home mechanic friendly.
Ads

Post by Ads »

HAIRIBO wrote:I like the cavalier turbo!.................................. But then............ I like the Cavalier v6!............................... But which one is better?......................................

i have owned all types of cav, 8v, ecotec radtop, v6 and now turbo, and in my opinion the turbo is by far the best, and i think i am a good judge as ive owed all types and have something to compare them against, how many who slag the turbo can say that. Ads
Squig

Post by Squig »

Who is actually slagging the turbo?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I have read loads of people slagging them off. And as said before most of it comes from people that haven't had any experience with a turbo at all.
Ads

Post by Ads »

as Dan says, read through these posts and there is plenty of slagging the turbo, proberbly by people who have no experiance of them, like i said earlier i have had most type of cavs and i still say the turo is the best i have had, and i have experianve of plenty of cavs. Ads
Ads

Post by Ads »

jacko-lah wrote:
TurboDan wrote: Blah Blah Blah

A guy on CTOR Blah blah .
I wouldn't know. Carl Davey 'banned' me because ?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3766

http://www.cavalierturbo.com/forum/inde ... ntry135634

Why did Carl refuse to accept me as a member of the CTOR Forum ?

4 Reasons

1) Because I thought I might buy a V6 and not a Turbo :oops:
2) Because I critised the software. :no
3) Because I got impatient after waiting 2 full weeks and suggested he email me once I was a member. :o
4) Because he's got 'issues'. :mrgreen:

Why did I thought I might buy a V6 and not a Turbo?
Because I needed to see the real life issues of owning a turbo before deciding one way or the other, and I thought that by saying I was not sure would get owners to tell it from their side

Why would I critised the software.
Because a link was broken.

Why did I get impatient after waiting 2 full weeks and suggested he email me once I was a member.
Because I have feck all to do in the evening and 24 hours is too long to wait.

Why has he got 'issues'?
No idea but 1 in 4 have mental illness issues at some time in their life, so who can tell ?

Can you feel my pain ?
on reson no 2, as you where told on ctor, Carl work offshore on the rigs, two weeks on , two weeks off, you must have joined just as he went away, also reason no3, i can assure you carl has no mental issuses as i know himm quite well, also no one else has had problems with the hardware. Ads
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I don't think i have ever read a thread on ctor about anyone or anything being slagged off or anything like that. It seems like a really "grown up" site.

Never had any trouble with it.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Right going to step in before this goes OTT... No more arguing about CTOR, guys. At all... This is not a forum in which too bad mouth another forum.
Jacko you've let off steam, fair enough. Ads, you've defended your mate and his forum, fair enough.

And as long as no one is "accusing" me of giving turbos and their owners crap. My measly little point was, and remains, the TB is a weak link... that and the 4x4 system is more complex than the FWD setup, and requires a higher level of maintenance.

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Ads

Post by Ads »

Squig wrote:Right going to step in before this goes OTT... No more arguing about CTOR, guys. At all... This is not a forum in which too bad mouth another forum.
Jacko you've let off steam, fair enough. Ads, you've defended your mate and his forum, fair enough.

And as long as no one is "accusing" me of giving turbos and their owners crap. My measly little point was, and remains, the TB is a weak link... that and the 4x4 system is more complex than the FWD setup, and requires a higher level of maintenance.
ok mate fair comment about the ctor posts, i just took exeption to the *mental issues jibe^, i shouldnt of reacted. on the 4x4 issue your right, i think there are crap in standard form, prone to failiure, thats why most turbo owners go down the locked box route, make them very reliable. ads
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Knowing turbodan for too long, ive been in all his turbos and driven most of them and due to him nicking bits off me on a regular basis i know what breaks and they arnt any less reliable than any other car of the same age, they just need more bits maintaining.

Its the people who buy them and expect them to be the same as 5 year old scooby, they are 15+ years old and slapping in phase chips wont magically make them reliable for giving them more power, old cars need love.
Ads

Post by Ads »

Gaz wrote:Knowing turbodan for too long, ive been in all his turbos and driven most of them and due to him nicking bits off me on a regular basis i know what breaks and they arnt any less reliable than any other car of the same age, they just need more bits maintaining.

Its the people who buy them and expect them to be the same as 5 year old scooby, they are 15+ years old and slapping in phase chips wont magically make them reliable for giving them more power, old cars need love.
spot on mate, i couldnt have said it better myself, Ads
Squig

Post by Squig »

turboads wrote:ok mate fair comment about the ctor posts, i just took exeption to the *mental issues jibe^, i shouldnt of reacted. on the 4x4 issue your right, i think there are crap in standard form, prone to failiure, thats why most turbo owners go down the locked box route, make them very reliable. ads
No worries, fella, I have some where a small collection of low res pics showing the usual fracture point on the case and some chap's novel solution. He basically reinforced the weak spot with some 15mm steel and added a pump and an oil-cooler so the TB fluid could be maintained at optimum temperature. Don't know how effective this would be though, been a long time since I wrote off the 4x4 idea, and longer since looking into the TB solutions... even toyed with an idea to replace the internals with vw parts but decided the F28 just can't handle the torque I'm after.

jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

turboads wrote: i just took exeption to the *mental issues jibe^, i shouldnt of reacted. ads

I probabally shouldn't be allowed out on my own :roll: Twas supposed to be 'funny' but really it wasn't.

Just shocked that I couldn't 'Get in'. I wasn't even wearing trainers.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

jacko-lah wrote:Just shocked that I couldn't 'Get in'. I wasn't even wearing trainers.
:lol:
Troy

Post by Troy »

I've had 3 turbo's now and have all been pretty reliable and used as my daily driver for the past 5 years. They do have issues, most of them

because of neglect but it is nearly 17 years old now and you need to keep on top of things. As for the transfer box it is a weak point but like Ads

and Dan say there is an easy, quick and cheap way to fix it. I certainly wouldn't let this put you off buying one if that's what you want but like

any car of this age it needs looking after properly. If you bought a Sapphire Cosworth, which the Cav is always being compared to you, you

wouldn't just buy it and neglect it either, you'd have to look after it. And that goes for a new scooby or evo as well.