Is it only me who likes a really low car

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

Is it only me who likes a really low car

Post by Gaz »

Is it only me who likes a really low car? Yes i know they are impractical, i know they ride like crap but a car with a low stance just looks spot on.

You can take any old rotbox, stick some half decent wheels put it at floor scraping hight and its instantly cool

I loved my cav being that low for a week (yes a whole week) but it was completely impractical so i had to raise it again :( if i could have driven it still i would have dropped the front another 20/30mm easily.

Look at that its just another smoothed golf (jetta) with an r32 front bumper not exactly ground breaking but look at the stance of it!

2 old bmws nothing exceptional at standard ride hight but this low.....

I know some of the Japanese cars go a little ott with the camber but still
Cavalier342

Re: Is it only me who likes a really low car

Post by Cavalier342 »

To be honest, i have nothing against slammed cars, i do agree that they have a better posture and stance. The only slammed cars i hate are boy racer 106's and saxo's, I only like large cars lowered. On Need For Speed games for instance, one of the first things i do is lower my ride. It just feels the natural thing to do in terms of performance and looks. Your cav looks fantastic i think, the paintwork, the wheels and the lowered height. But me, i like my car to be an all-rounder. Good in the corners and good off-road. The Cavalier suits me in both those situations. But that's just me. I like ground clearance. If i could afford to, i'd get me a Defender 110 anyday alongside the Cav, and lower the Cav. It's not impossible, it would just take a bit of cash and a thinking brain. So my opinion is positive i guess. What's everyone else's views on this topic then?
Andrei. :)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

mines nearly as low as yours lol
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Just never liked them. Maybe most of it is I don't understand how it's still possible to make the wheels turn left and right, but the stance makes me think "sneaky cars creeping up behind me".. :lol:
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

well i like the nasty ride you get with a low car. a car needs to handle well and cavaliers just dont in standard form so action neds to be taking to improve it.

every car i've had has been lowered with a good suspension. with the amount of hazards and idiots on the road you need it

i like it gaz whether or not any1 else does is up to them.

troy
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I never said lowering was bad, but around here, you'd loose the underside of your car on the first pothole / speedbump.
My Cav's have been lowered between 35 and 40mm, never had an issue.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Envoy CDX wrote:I never said lowering was bad, but around here, you'd loose the underside of your car on the first pothole / speedbump.
my replies always seem harsh, im not sure why. i dont mean it i'm the nicest guy on the planet bar you gary lol.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

sriguy wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:I never said lowering was bad, but around here, you'd loose the underside of your car on the first pothole / speedbump.
my replies always seem harsh, im not sure why. i dont mean it i'm the nicest guy on the planet bar you gary lol.
Don't worry, I'd just gotten up when I read it :P :lol:
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

What gaz didn't mention is that his is no lower than mine! :lol:
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

and that golf (jetta) is infact a bora
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

They wher only Bora in britain I think. Just like we had the Vento before that. Every where else still called them Jettas. Glad they brought the name back.

SLammed cars do look cool. But must are air suspension. Slammed when parked up. and jackedup
when moving.

But for me s car has to handle well. I love the way my cdx drives but I;'m going to fit my EEibachs to it. As I hate slowing for speed bumps. And want it more practical when taking people for a lift.The low springs are going on the Cesaro. But thats more of a BTCC rep show car so I needs to look low and Wont be driven as hard as the CDX.

I hate it when you cant see any trye and the rims are up in the arches. about 0-10mm arch clearance is what I call good looking.
C30XE
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

low rides are cool but they have to have the wheels to suit. there was a guy on mig who lowered his white gsi at least 60mm with standard gsi wheels (painted anthracite). looked stupid cos the wheels were too small to fill the arches which looked bigger cos it was low.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Yeah low cavs on 15"s with low profile tryes look daft. Its got to have standard rolling radius on it. (Or close to it)
C30XE
andyfloss

Post by andyfloss »

my cav is lowered around 80 mm although the back seems to sit a little bit higher so i need to sort that this weekend...with the addition of a splitter im going to be sweeping the roads :)
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

lowerd cars dont bother me much till you hit speed bump or pothole and it rattles your back teeth :tdown

the lowest i go is -60mill tbh as scottish roads kill cars lower that that i feel with amount of potholes about and speedbumps
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

andyfloss wrote:my cav is lowered around 80 mm although the back seems to sit a little bit higher so i need to sort that this weekend...with the addition of a splitter im going to be sweeping the roads :)
80! wow! got any pics? yeah the back end of cavaliers all tend to sit higher than the nose. strange but true.
wilts

Post by wilts »

Each to their own mate but me i love low cars its the first thing i do wen eva i get a new car is slam it.
Cav gsi 4x4 rules my life
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Love slammed cars!!!!! mine is only at -30mm due to funding and practicality... i would love haveing a front splitter that scrapes the floor!!!! maybe stick broom bristles on there and sweep the road while i drive LOL!!!!
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

Gaz wrote: i know they are impractical, i know they ride like crap

You can take any old rotbox, stick some half decent wheels put it at floor scraping hight and its instantly cool

my cav being that low was completely impractical so i had to raise it again
Read what you wrote again, and tell me you aren't a little stupid :ass :D :D

So despite the fact that actually they ride like crap, are impractical, are rubbish on Bumpy B road corners, and are uncomfortable, you still like them? :no

In my humble oppinion, you can take things too far.

Our 104K mile mk3 cav 1.8 is on it's original springs and dampers, and when I replace them I'll be looking at standard Sri 8V suspension, as a reasonable compromise of originality verses function.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

of course im stupid, if i was practical i would get a 1.0ltr corsa and drive the 5miles to work at a nice high mpg and not have to slow down for speedhumps.

Its the old form over function, and if i was paying someone for my little experiments it would be even more stupid but as i can swap a set of back springs in less than 10mins on the drive its no issue.

Its my car and i can do exactly what i want to it and i hope that everyone else feels the same, while not understanding it respects my choice to be bloody stupid if the mood takes me.
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

Did I not say I liked it that low ? I actually do think that first picture couldn't make a cav any meaner and I like a mean looking cav. All it needs is a Q reg.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Gaz you are bloody stupid :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Squig

Post by Squig »

This is Gaz's cav after we fitted the airbags... took ages to get it in the same position...

andyfloss

Post by andyfloss »

humbucker wrote:
80! wow! got any pics? yeah the back end of cavaliers all tend to sit higher than the nose. strange but true.

unfortunatly.... it was a bad idea ha its now at 60mm as let just say i had an icident :oops: lol! but yet the back again sits higher... might just stick some cake in the boot and wait till a fat bloke climbs in......i would probably fool for my own trick ha. how it sits now....

andyfloss

Post by andyfloss »

when i have splitter and skirts on it should sit alot nicer..just need to stop being lazy