Got any tips for gauaging over the winter?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

gazza1701-a

Got any tips for gauaging over the winter?

Post by gazza1701-a »

Having never layed my Cavalier up for more than a week, is there anything i should do when putting a cavalier away for 6 months in a garage? ie. are there things that are going to cease up or go funny from not using it? I've been given a mondeo for free, so I thought I'd try to preserve my trusty Cav.
planetc

Re: Got any tips for gauaging over the winter?

Post by planetc »

Make sure you leave the handbrake off.
Ideally leave it on axle stands to prevent flat spotting the tyes, although tbh I never had a problem with this even with a car left four years.
Disconnect the battery, and be prepared to charge it once a month or it is likely to fall over dead. Or consider running it up once every two weeks, this will keep everything in the engine lubed too.
Also a good idea to leave it with the windows open a tad (if inside) too, I've had problems growing mould in closed cars before.

Problems I have experienced with lay up are limited really, seized wheel cylinders and such like. Worst was a fuel tank that became contaminated with calcium like deposits that I am sure came from the fuel or an additive. It had been four years standing, and I had to change the tank in the end because flushing just wouldn't clear it properly.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

As planetc said, If the car is kept sheltered, the interior would probably suffer the most. My mum's old Saab 900 (RIP) was kept in the drive for a number of months unused, the exterior seemed to stay as it was, with a lot of damp periods, but the interior suffered. Rooflining came down, leather seats became worn and started coming apart, steering wheel and dashboard literally had green/grey mould growing, few other bits, basically if kept untouched, it all gets seriously neglected. Sunroof probably would feel stiff when opening/closing, and then there's the exterior, tyres, brakes, handbrake etc.
Just general neglectable bits really.
Andrei. :)
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

personally id take the battery off and shove it in the house somewhere warm, batteries don't like the cold.

Everything else has been covered.
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

And don't forget to make sure you have enough antifreeze in the water....