It's official... the Mk3 Cavalier is an 'antique'

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

humbucker
Club Admin

It's official... the Mk3 Cavalier is an 'antique'

Post by humbucker »

Yup, that's right, I didn't say classic, I said antique. I have lost count of the number of times people have said 'that car belongs in a museum' or 'wow original arches? you want to display those in a heritage centre' or something similar, entirely complimentary you understand. Mostly followed by 'these cars are so much better than the Vectras that superceded them' etc etc...

Well dear friends, I can now reveal that the Mk3 Cavalier is an antique! I was in one of the regions largest antiques centres on Sunday, four floors of an old wharf building absolutely rammed to the rafters with vintage furniture, porcelain, jewellery, you name it they had it. And what lay there in amongst Dickens' first editions and collected original volumes of Punch? That's right, it was this. A fine example of a late 20th century automotive handbook:

:lol:
planetc

Re: It's official... the Mk3 Cavalier is an 'antique'

Post by planetc »

75% of that is etched into the bit between my ears, does that make me antique too?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Dread to think what that makes my Cavalier Mk 2, Viva and Magnum manuals :o

I went through a phase of collecting workshop manuals about 15 years ago.

To be honest, the latest Haynes manuals aren't really worth the paper they are printed on - especially for electronics etc... :(

I have some really old manuals in my shed !!

TIS and EPC make things so much clearer and easier to understand (apart from the odd errors).
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Or indeed my 1964 Vauxhall Victor manual! :lol:
jacko-lah

Post by jacko-lah »

Robsey wrote:Dread to think what that makes my Cavalier Mk 2, Viva and Magnum manuals :o

I went through a phase of collecting workshop manuals about 15 years ago.

To be honest, the latest Haynes manuals aren't really worth the paper they are printed on - especially for electronics etc... :(

I have some really old manuals in my shed !!

TIS and EPC make things so much clearer and easier to understand (apart from the odd errors).

They never were that good. I tried and failed to follow the haynes book of fiction yesterday to remove the front discs on a mini. I gave up in the end.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

theyre good as a rough guide but some of the things they tell you to do is madness, removal of this and that and the other simply to get at something you could do with your eyes shut. still, they're essential to have as a point of reference (much like cavmk3oc.com :lol: ). especially when they're on sale in antiques stores for £2.50 hehe!
m00k

Post by m00k »

elaine was disgusted when i stood and bartered at a car boot for my cav haynes manual... i was well chuffed for £3... in fact dont think she's let me near a car boot since