New Car Time

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Greig Sri

New Car Time

Post by Greig Sri »

Im changing my car :o , but dont worry the cav is staying :cool

Changing from this Astra

To this Astra

Its a SRi xp 1.9 diesel 150. It has the cd70 sat nav, parking sensors and cruise control fitted over standered.The car has nice low miles and in very good condition. Will be getting it in about two weeks, As not taxing it till the start of the month and swaping the number plate over from the MK3 to the MK5. Ill not get to drive it for about another two weeks tho, as ill still be in Shetland. :( So the MK3 will be up for sale soon.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Cavalier342

Re: New Car Time

Post by Cavalier342 »

Very tidy Greig, however me being me, i still prefer the Mk3 ;) Still, a vauxhall is a vauxhall, hope it turns out a good buy. Looks tidy enough. Alloys look good. I suggest you sell the Mk3 to an Astra enthusiast or anyone who has genuinely good interest in it, as it is very tidy for its age.
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Have you used the cd70 sat nav before? Does take some getting used to.

Also - there are many scare stories about the 1.9CDTi 150 on the Vectra-C, which is the same engine as on your proposed Astra-H .
Although by 58 plate, all the niggles were sorted...EGR valve, No 3 Injector plug to name a couple.
I have a 2005 Vectra-C 1.9CDTi 150, which has been relatively trouble free apart from 3 broken road springs.

For DIY, the Mk3 is much better / simpler... for luxury and comfort, the H will be in a different world.

On the downside, I do find a lot of Vauxhalls quite "character-less" after 2002...very samey.

The spec you have there, is very good and quite sort after. :cool

Brace yourself for the massive increase in torque and fuel economy. :thumb :)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Cavalier342 wrote: as it is very tidy for its age. Andrei.

The bloke im getting the mk5 from said the same about it.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Robsey wrote:Have you used the cd70 sat nav before? Does take some getting used to.

Also - there are many scare stories about the 1.9CDTi 150 on the Vectra-C, which is the same engine as on your proposed Astra-H .
Although by 58 plate, all the niggles were sorted...EGR valve, No 3 Injector plug to name a couple.
I have a 2005 Vectra-C 1.9CDTi 150, which has been relatively trouble free apart from 3 broken road springs.

For DIY, the Mk3 is much better / simpler... for luxury and comfort, the H will be in a different world.

On the downside, I do find a lot of Vauxhalls quite "character-less" after 2002...very samey.

The spec you have there, is very good and quite sort after. :cool

Brace yourself for the massive increase in torque and fuel economy. :thumb :)

I know about the niggles with the engine, but like u say the engine in the Astra should have the improved bits.
The difrence between the 2 cars is masive, put a big smile on my wifes face when she booted it, more so when i pressed the 'sport' switch.
I think a tuning box will be on the cards so for it. What kind of MPG are you getting from your car?

Greig
droofer

Post by droofer »

the 95 estate looks clean as.........,the 58 looks nice, reminds me of a 1.3 cdti astra estate i had as a company car around 3 yr ago, on an 06 plate, i had to double check every junction i was pulling out of,for any vehicles,due to the horrendous turbo lag,once spooled up it got along ok, i couldnt understand why vauxhall would put such an underpowered engine in such a big car.the 1.7cdti i had previous to it was fine.
ive driven a 1.9 cdti vectra also ,and that thing flew,wasnt even an sri or anything, think yours will fly, and you can get stuff in it. i like space me 8-) .
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Greig Sri wrote:

I know about the niggles with the engine, but like u say the engine in the Astra should have the improved bits.
The difrence between the 2 cars is masive, put a big smile on my wifes face when she booted it, more so when i pressed the 'sport' switch.
I think a tuning box will be on the cards so for it. What kind of MPG are you getting from your car?

Greig
The Vectra-C is a stupidly heavy car, but the engine has ample power to shift it at break-neck speed.
Typical MPG is about 42 MPG, however it is easily possible to get 47 MPG.
It is a little too tempting to floor the gas pedal just because you can.

As it is much lighter, I would expect nearer to 50 + MPG for the Astra.

Also, there are fewer modules in the Astra, so a lot less chance of the CAN system throwing a strop...
There are in excess of 20 modules in the Vectra-C, which is normally well behaved, but I keep an Op-Com device for resetting "glitch" fault codes.

As a point of interest, the quickest fix for most faults is the re-boot method.
Remove the battery over-night, and after reconnecting, everything behaves as if nothing was ever wrong. A free fix
Don't worry about the radio code, this is retained in the display and headunit EEPROM's. It will not need to be re-entered when you reconnect the power.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Robsey wrote: As a point of interest, the quickest fix for most faults is the re-boot method.
Remove the battery over-night,
Disconnect the earth and connect a lead light across the terminals, this drains down the capacitors in the system in seconds so not usually necessary to wait overnight
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

looks very smart mate has xp kit on it as well you can get a guy from angel to come to your door and tuneing it mate of mine got it done to his vectra only cost 150 think it was, we are hopefully getting it done to zafira as well
same engine thats in our zafira cdti 150 sri we got 300 miles to 30 pounds half tank with sports button prest :thumb

btw get horn and cruise control checkt out as ours was nackers apartntly there was few recalled casue wire harness was faulty we got it fixt for free from vauxhall :thumb

are your wheels 18s or 17s ?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Nice bit of kit that.
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Robsey, thanks for the tips.
steven77 wrote:looks very smart mate has xp kit on it as well you can get a guy from angel to come to your door and tuneing it mate of mine got it done to his vectra only cost 150 think it was, we are hopefully getting it done to zafira as well
same engine thats in our zafira cdti 150 sri we got 300 miles to 30 pounds half tank with sports button prest :thumb

btw get horn and cruise control checkt out as ours was nackers apartntly there was few recalled casue wire harness was faulty we got it fixt for free from vauxhall :thumb

are your wheels 18s or 17s ?
Tell me more about this 'angel' foke. The wheels are 18"

Greig
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There is a website specifically for the Astra-H... (and Zaffy-B)

also try www.opel-niedersachsen.de but do use google translator...unless your German is very good.

Masses of info there :thumb
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

hi mate got guys number for you drop me a pm if you still want it :thumb
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

your 95 Astra is very tidy... there are lots of these left still, so they must have been faithful beasts.

The new Astra is lovely... very pleasing to the eye. :-)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

VauxhallGirl wrote:your 95 Astra is very tidy... there are lots of these left still, so they must have been faithful beasts.

The new Astra is lovely... very pleasing to the eye. :-)
There is a few mk3s still kicking around here too, but most have seen better days.

We liked the mk5 as soon as we seen it.

This week Ive been ordering some bits for the MK5. The first go faster bit for it is a K&N filter. Also mats and flaps have been ordered too. Did some looking in to tuning boxes, have found one that gives 215 BHP. Very tempted by the 215bhp. My wife is hoping the paper work for swaping the number plate will be done by the DVLA by this weekend, as she is desprate to get her hands on the car.

Greig
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

hi mate tried to pm you number would not let me you want guys number for getting price ?
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

steven77 wrote:hi mate tried to pm you number would not let me you want guys number for getting price ?
Think Ill be leaving the power standered for the now. The suspension on the other hand is getting played with. A Eibach lowering spring kit is due in the post any day soon. Im also thinking about fitting a 'whiteline' rear anti-roll bar on the rear axel. My wife has had the car a week now and ive still not got to drive it yet. Im home friday morning this week (all going well with the ferry to Aberdeen) so ill get my go this weekend.

Greig