Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

humbucker
Club Admin

Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Post by humbucker »

Transport secretary to announce increase in speed limit from 70mph to 80mph at Tory conference:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/se ... sfeed=true
Deeksin

Re: Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Post by Deeksin »

about time to!
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
Squig

Post by Squig »

Wow they did something right
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Don't 90% of motorway drivers under sixty years old drive at 80 anyway?

I usually drive at around 70, because I want to get to where I am going to, but want to be able to afford the fuel required.

It is amazing how many people fly past me, when I am at the current speed limit.

Of course about 90% of the over-sixties drive below 55mph on the motorways :wall
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Robsey wrote: Of course about 90% of the over-sixties drive below 55mph on the motorways :wall
And me :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

TurboDan wrote:
Robsey wrote: Of course about 90% of the over-sixties drive below 55mph on the motorways :wall
And me :lol:
That's because your a Image

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

thats because his car wont go any faster actually
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

now those people who drive at 80 now will they then start doing 90 when the speed limit is raised to 80
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well I'm not a fast driver, although I welcome the move. Pity as with everything, they announce it but it doesn't come into action for another 2 years. I usually cruise at 60 or below to increase MPG, but for overtaking that is a bonus. Is that only on motorways or dual carriageways too? They didn't explain that bit.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

This will mean that some people will drive even faster as they feel they can 'get away' with being a bit over the limit.

Most people drive fast as they are comfortable with and these days modern expensive cars don't convey the feel of speed, etc as car are so refined now with upholstery, sound deadening, complex suspensions, smoother engines, etc. They get over confident in their ability when in reality the car is now over burdened with safety features, ABS, airbags by the dozen, pre-tensioning seatbelts, crush protection, etc which breeds a false security and self-belief in ones own abilities.
It you want to buy a £75k BMW and prick around at 90-100 mph dodging between the lanes with your lights blazing, fine. But don't do it near me where there is the slightest risk of you fudgery up my car and life.

Speed doesn't kill, poor drivers kill.
Poor drivers drive whilst drunk, drive beyond their capability, drive when their tired or when their reactions are dulled by age.

Ramming up the speed limit won't help anyone, I doubt it'll change the way we drive, there will probably be more 'slower' drivers when/IF this becomes law.

But will they increase the speed limit for lorries? Will they then decide we should be driving in KPH?

Me? I will drive at my usual speed, as I suspect most other people will and we will still tut and swear at the people whizzing past whilst on their mobiles...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

They need to teach some proper lane discipline first!
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
Squig

Post by Squig »

Cavalier342 wrote:Well I'm not a fast driver, although I welcome the move. Pity as with everything, they announce it but it doesn't come into action for another 2 years. I usually cruise at 60 or below to increase MPG, but for overtaking that is a bonus. Is that only on motorways or dual carriageways too? They didn't explain that bit.
Dual carriageways share the motorway limit so I'd assume yes

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Squig wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:Well I'm not a fast driver, although I welcome the move. Pity as with everything, they announce it but it doesn't come into action for another 2 years. I usually cruise at 60 or below to increase MPG, but for overtaking that is a bonus. Is that only on motorways or dual carriageways too? They didn't explain that bit.

I'm going to be a bit geeky now, but it is only Dual Carriageways showing the black and white "National Speed Limit" signs.

Non-NSL Dual carriageways are limited by the speed value on the signs - predominantly 50 with the odd 40 or 60 dotted about.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Tis true.
Well I suppose it gives me an excuse to say: Sorry, I was only doing 80 :) After doing 110 down the local bypass :D
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

i do 68 on the motorway (on long journeys) put thats for fuel reasons
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Let's be honest, most Cavs can return close to 50mpg on a run at 56mph. At this time with the fuel bills, why bother blasting it? I know I do sometimes but then I think.. How much did I waste just then... speed limits are there for a reason, especially for the economy minded.
Previous:

carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

lowrider dave wrote:But will they increase the speed limit for lorries? Will they then decide we should be driving in KPH?

I doubt it, I wouldnt want 44 tonne going over 56 at the best of times, I know coaches can do 60 - 62 as can LGV's carrying perishable items which are also not limited by tachograph laws.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Squig

Post by Squig »

Robsey wrote:
Squig wrote:

I'm going to be a bit geeky now, but it is only Dual Carriageways showing the black and white "National Speed Limit" signs.

Non-NSL Dual carriageways are limited by the speed value on the signs - predominantly 50 with the odd 40 or 60 dotted about.
You pedantic bugger! :lol:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I've had coaches overtake me at 70 before. Driver must have finished his shift... Point is, if they have to stop and someone's diesel tank leaked.... you get the idea.
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i drive a lot slower than i used to so dont tend to go near 80 on the motorway anyway but like mentioned above most people DO already drive at 80 and it will be useful for overtaking when needed. bit of a spit in the eye for the environment secretary though, i'm guessing he won't be sending philip hammond a christmas card this year...
planetc

Re: Re: Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Post by planetc »

Squig wrote: You pedantic bugger! :lol:
Don't you just hate it is people use words on a motoring forum that are way beyond the understanding of the average petrol head??!
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Squig

Re: Re: Speed Limit To increase from 70 to 80

Post by Squig »

planetc wrote:
Squig wrote: You pedantic bugger! :lol:
Don't you just hate it is people use words on a motoring forum that are way beyond the understanding of the average petrol head??!
Sorry I'll paraphrase; you smart arse wordy git! :lol: :lol:

camshaft!

carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Cavalier342 wrote:I've had coaches overtake me at 70 before. Driver must have finished his shift... Point is, if they have to stop and someone's diesel tank leaked.... you get the idea.
If I drove a coach, Id pull over or half my speed and rake in the overtime.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

Cavalier342 wrote:I've had coaches overtake me at 70 before.
I used to be a courier and I will never forget being on the M18 about midnight on the way back from London when a Scania bullnose with an empty flatbed trailer casually sailed past my van...

I thought my speedo was broke cos it said I was doing 80!
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

At that time of day, that wouldn't surprise me.
Previous: