MY winter tyres!!!!

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

cavboy180

MY winter tyres!!!!

Post by cavboy180 »

A few weeks ago i bought a set of wheels and trims for a tenner of ebay - 175/70/14 (which are the standard size for my car)
as last year it drove throught the snow without any problems at all - did enjoy watching all the 4x4s etc getting stuck.. all the drivers who would look down on me and my old cav..... ;)

So i am going to be back on the skinny wheels for this winter :santa

So it proves you don't have to spend stupid amounts of money!! :thumb
Attachments
ww.jpg
" LS was MORE!! "
bigmitch

Re: MY winter tyres!!!!

Post by bigmitch »

Thats why I use all season tyres as in goodyear nct-5. Funny enough the dont make anymore swines
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

If I was the cynical type i'd say they were trying to make more money out of us???? :scratch

;)
" LS was MORE!! "
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thin tires help a little in deep snow, as long as you don't stop, but they do not help on ice, so don't think they're making you invincible :D Deep tread is all you need really. Higher profile and deep tread. Makes a much better footprint.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

true but 70 is a higher profile - 80 being the highest as far as i know, thats why i have to use 14" wheels because 15" won't fit since i lowered it!! ;)
" LS was MORE!! "
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

As long as you've got good tread on them, you'll be alright. As for me, I'm gonna find the best set of tires on a budget, and raise her up a touch. Winter is unpredictable as we know so I'd rather glide over the snow instead of being bogged down.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Yeah that could be a problem as i have lowered mine so much - it is in the back of my mind............ ;)

As long as i don't hit a drift eh?? :lol:
" LS was MORE!! "
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Snow tyres?

Not worth it round here it's cheaper to carry a blanket and half a dozen snickers bars in case I do get stranded..

I drive slowly in snow, usually 'coz I'm stuck behind the car in front :lol:
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

Maracus wrote:I drive slowly in snow, usually 'coz I'm stuck behind the car in front :lol:
Amen.

:D :p
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

with 3 sets of alloys i really dont care if i kill an alloy in the snow :p
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

In the omega, if the snows heavy enough to be worrying about what tyres I've got, the cars normally stuck in the work carpark anyway! Until people sit on the boot!! Lmao
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Maracus wrote:In the omega, if the snows heavy enough to be worrying about what tyres I've got, the cars normally stuck in the work carpark anyway! Until people sit on the boot!! Lmao
That is actually a very good tip, if your wheels are on ice and you cannot move off under power, get a couple of people to sit as best possible over the driven wheels. Will definitely keep that in mind. Neighbours will love me... Can you please come sit on my bonnet as I pull away?? :D Sure thing, :D
Previous:

Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Cavalier342 wrote:
Maracus wrote:In the omega, if the snows heavy enough to be worrying about what tyres I've got, the cars normally stuck in the work carpark anyway! Until people sit on the boot!! Lmao
That is actually a very good tip, if your wheels are on ice and you cannot move off under power, get a couple of people to sit as best possible over the driven wheels. Will definitely keep that in mind. Neighbours will love me... Can you please come sit on my bonnet as I pull away?? :D Sure thing, :D
Everything's fine when you are on the road, or even leaving your house, it's always when your finished work and can't even make an effort to go home, D'oh!!!

Never had a problem in the estate but that had more weight over the back end lol
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

FWD's are useless in the wrong conditions, saying that no car is perfect.
Previous:

Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

my cav didnt get stuck once last year, had a few slides, and bumped 1 kerb (as the road was on a slight downhill when i needed to stop), and i was out in it more or less all day everyday,

i had 205/50/15's on my slabs and they was really good if i'm honest, this year ive gone for MG ZR alloys with 205/50/16's all with over 5mm of tread.

in snow i never use 1st gear and always keep the revs below 2k, engine brake to slow you down and always be alert! :lol:
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

I love snow, my winter tyres are large, knobbly and most importantly attached to a defender 90
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Best vehicle you could have for the winter.. ask any farmer! ;)
" LS was MORE!! "
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

locked 4x4 should be fun this winter lol
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
planetc

Post by planetc »

Peanut_119 wrote: engine brake to slow you down and always be alert! :lol:
I got caught out in the Transit the year before last, was going down a long hill and tried to change down to control the speed....lost traction on the rear and went broadside with opposite lock at about 30 mph downhill. I had to change up again to get the control back and just hope I could keep it pointing the right way to the bottom.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

gsi pie wrote:locked 4x4 should be fun this winter lol
Should be good but can't drift it any more on corners like before, dam
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

try a transit pick up no grip at all in the snow!got allseason tyres marked M+S on my v6 205 50 16 had no probs at all up hill in 6inches of compcted icey snow last year,the heavy engine and pulling away with out the throttle helps,not had snow in the southern tropics yet this year! :)
k1ngy

Post by k1ngy »

i never got stuck in the cavalier i had and was running 195 5514's even when hooning in a car park she would still pull like a trooper, i even beat a matein his scooby lol

in the caors however i managed to beach it twice in deep snow and that was not ful lol

vid of me beating a scooby in a 2.0 8v cavalier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1LJ-MM ... dqUA_9VFk4
loving cavaliers since 1978
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Cavalier342 wrote:FWD's are useless in the wrong conditions, saying that no car is perfect.
I was always under the impression a FWD was better in snow, because you had the weight over the driving wheels. Not so then?
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

cavboy180 wrote:Best vehicle you could have for the winter.. ask any farmer! ;)
My Frontera was very very good in the snow a couple of years back...he had BFG Goodrich All-Terrain on. :)

Last year, I couldn't even get down the farm track once it became compacted. So I stayed away from the Cav.
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

VauxhallGirl wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:FWD's are useless in the wrong conditions, saying that no car is perfect.
I was always under the impression a FWD was better in snow, because you had the weight over the driving wheels. Not so then?

4x4 > fwd > rwd
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'