veg oil,

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

rustyarches

veg oil,

Post by rustyarches »

if u have a td cav and want cheap oil u can go on line with makro and its £19 for 20 liters,
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
bigmitch

Re: veg oil,

Post by bigmitch »

rustyarches wrote:if u have a td cav and want cheap oil u can go on line with makro and its £19 for 20 liters,
would this work with my old mans dti omego or just the older td engine ?
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

dont think it works on the newer dti lumps

more for the older derv engines etc i think
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

gsi pie wrote:dont think it works on the newer dti lumps

more for the older derv engines etc i think
Damm :x
rustyarches

veg oil,

Post by rustyarches »

only for the older engines
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

rustyarches wrote:only for the older engines
The vaux's that will run on it are

Astra / cav / nova with the 1.5 or 1.7 tds isuzu lump

Frontera 2.8 tds

The above need no mods to run on it however it is recomended that you fit a heat exchanger.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

and the very earliest vectras with the same isuzu engine.

i had an N reg one for a bit a couple of years ago. straight veg oil from makro wasnt a problemo, when they werent sold out that is!, used to run 50/50, sometimes 100% oil with a bit of petrol in it.
it died once in the very cold weather. what i think happened is the fuel line from the rear was very thick with too higher a % of veg oil and the oil in the pump was more protected. it got 2 miles from a freezing cold start and died going up a hill. i waited a bit and with lots of cranking it went again. I then learnt not to go too nuts with the oil, and actually mix it with say 25% normal diesel. did filter some chinky takeaway oil and use that and the smell when u came up to a junction with the window open was awesome, funnily enough it made me want sweet and sour balls and lots of chips....
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

I bought a load from our 99p shop when the panic buying of fuel was going on recently....worked out £4.95 a gallon....mixed it in with 75% diesel. Runs fine. :)

I didn't realise the early Vectras had Isuzu engines in them...are they rare now? Always fancied an early Vectra in green. :-)
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

rustyarches wrote:if u have a td cav and want cheap oil u can go on line with makro and its £19 for 20 liters,
Tried that but it looks like you need a card which you can only get if your in the trade.
Mark
VBOA Members
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

VauxhallGirl wrote:I bought a load from our 99p shop when the panic buying of fuel was going on recently....worked out £4.95 a gallon....mixed it in with 75% diesel. Runs fine. :)

I didn't realise the early Vectras had Isuzu engines in them...are they rare now? Always fancied an early Vectra in green. :-)

yeah, mine was N reg and a hatch in Kings Blue, 60ish K miles. was an ok car but utterly dull with less character compared to a cavalier. it served it's purpose across a winter but I dare say as it was doing 52mpg av and the fact it takes some recycled takeaway oil and the Makro special stuff, I should have kept it.

The way to go I believe is a switch over system with an oil only tank in the spare wheel well, start on thinner diesel, switch over to oil when warm, coolant heated filter head for the oil etc etc.

I ought to look for a decent cdx cav saloon I suppose and lose the 1.6 auto L. My colleague is commuting a plenty in his cav TD and it's doing 800+ to the tank.
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

800+ to the tank??? That's bl**dy brilliant! Think I can only get 500 at the most!
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

VauxhallGirl wrote:800+ to the tank??? That's bl**dy brilliant! Think I can only get 500 at the most!
yeah, thats what i thought too!

my 2.0 8V used to do quite well, say 450 to the tank when i used to just commute, no running around, but geezer at work is averaging about 63 mpg he said, its all in his economy spread sheet (he's a bit like that) It showed 805 to the best tank...
he never goes over 65 he said.
i did ask if that was in 2nd....., but mine has got 100hp more than his oil muncher.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Been running my Cav 1.7TD on nearly 100% veg oil since last aug. done about 10k miles so far.. Makro is near me is priced at around £17 to £20 for 20L. Was £18.73 the other day, Got 40L for £37.46 love IT!

Also them Omega B with 2.5TD run well on Veg oil.. thinik its the same engine as the BMW 325TDS?
Squig

Post by Squig »

For those running long term on veg oil would you please report on any issue you have, if any. All the info available seems biased in one light or another with little long term info.
The reason I ask is because at "work" we have a long running discussion with the obvious pro's and con's being rehashed over and over, and I'd like to see how people get on and at what milages.
The usual condemning argument is rubber seals perishing/degrading causing an expensive bill negating the whole point of running the cheaper fuel, and something about a bacterial "infection" within the bowels of the engine (but that's not something that anyone I know has seen).
Cheers
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Super89 wrote:Been running my Cav 1.7TD on nearly 100% veg oil since last aug. done about 10k miles so far.. Makro is near me is priced at around £17 to £20 for 20L. Was £18.73 the other day, Got 40L for £37.46 love IT!

Also them Omega B with 2.5TD run well on Veg oil.. thinik its the same engine as the BMW 325TDS?
Yep omega 2.5 derv will run on it but there is a mod that needs to be made tho to do with the lift pump. The 2.8 in the frontera will run on it straight away.

I have heard that makro is cheap for veggie oil but dont you need to be in the trade to get a card to shop there?
Mark
VBOA Members
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Yeah, You do have to be in the trade or know a friend with one :cheers
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Tescos are doing 10 litres of sunflower oil for a tenner which makes it 50p a litre cheaper than derv!
Mark
VBOA Members
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

is sunflower oil any different to "vegetable oil" as it is labelled.?
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Theres a website advertising on Real Radio XS (manchester/NW area), you can produce up to 2500 litres a year tax free, they also show you how to do it with instructional dvds and can supply the kit to do it.

Will try and remember the company name.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Makro spend £75 or more and get £15 off your bill

4x 20L drums at £18.75 each is £75 - £15 = £60 for 80L of veggie!!

CHEAPPP... :cheers
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

"Redefining success since 1981"