Stalling problem - idle control valve

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Telegram Sam

Stalling problem - idle control valve

Post by Telegram Sam »

20 SEH non-cat pre-facelift 8-valve motor (overhauled and rebuilt). Somewhere buried in another thread I mentioned the long-standing problem I've had - tendency for the car to stall in the last few yards of coasting / slowing down in neutral to a standstill. The temporary "dip" in revs is obvious from looking at the rev counter and has been liveable-with until the dip started going sufficiently low for the car to stall. This happens also sometimes when going round a slow tight corner. It only happens for a second before jumping back to 1000 rpm, but often enough to stall.
I've asked people to check this from a mechanical and from an electronics angle - nothing obvious - and the latest wheeze was to replace this morning the original idle control valve (after 237 K miles) with a new Bosch unit. Unfortunately this has not cured the problem. It's back to the drawing board, asking if anyone has any other thoughts on lines of investigation? PS It does have a Stage One cam but ticks over OK at 1000 rpm, slightly lumpy as you'd expect, when warm.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods