Heaters not working since flush and coolant refill

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Cavalier342

Re: Heaters not working since flush and coolant refill

Post by Cavalier342 »

That's what she said..
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

:lol: :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Cavalier342 wrote:The heater fan itself has nothing to do with the coolant system, check the wiring to it, the fuse and the resistor pack which plugs onto the fan unit. Probably one of them.
:wave
Okay, I also have a heater fan not working - Did the usual girl thing and just sprayed everything with WD40, and prayed. It whirred for about 10 minutes and died again ...Time to consult those wonderful guys who know stuff :love

No idea what a resister pack looks like or where to find it lol ... any help appreciated. Thank you x
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That sounds more like a dry motor bearing.

Does it make any noises when running ?
like a screaching, chirping or grating sound?

If it is the resistor pack, you will often only have a working fan when the switch is set at top speed.
This indicates a dead thermal fuse.
Or
If there is a resistor fault, then you may have two switch positions that appear to run the fan at the same speed.

I hope that helps.

Regarding "the usual girl thing"...
Don't be so self depricating - we have all done this at some stage before we built up knowledge, confidence or experience.

I would be careful at spraying WD40 at the fan. Unless you aim specifically at the bearings of the motor spindle, you will not gain anything apart from a cabin that stinks of WD40.

Lubricating rarely fixes a dry bearing, and so the most cost effective fix is to get a motor from a scrap yard. The motors themselves should be more or less the same between most Vauxhalls from the late 80s upto the late 90s.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Forgot to say...
Is fuse number 4 still okay.?

If the motor is getting dry / seizing up, chances are that it will draw too much current and burn out the fuse.
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Robsey wrote:That sounds more like a dry motor bearing.
Does it make any noises when running ?
like a screaching, chirping or grating sound? It did when it ran

If it is the resistor pack, you will often only have a working fan when the switch is set at top speed.
This indicates a dead thermal fuse. Had that too - It only worked (briefly) on the highest setting
Or
If there is a resistor fault, then you may have two switch positions that appear to run the fan at the same speed.
Yes fuse is fine :)
So I guess it could be either - if you turn the fan by hand, when it's switched on, there seems to be no resistance/attempt to function but will not freewheel either ... if that makes sense lol

Guess it's time to search for replacement part - not so easy in France - they didn't have the cavalier over here.
Thanks for responding - much appreciated xx
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Not the Cavalier.
In France it is the Vectra A.

But a fan from Corsa-A, Astra-F, Ascona-C, Kadett-E and Omega-A should also fit.

May be just little differences in the plastic casing, but than can be swapped.

You can buy the fans new in the UK, but they are very expensive.
About £115 the last time I looked...
So perhaps about €150 in France.

Just checked - part number 90464660 is coming back at £219 :shock:
This part is listed for Vectra-A and Calibra only.
But I have fitted an Ascona-C fan and an Astra-F fan successfully