Heaters not working since flush and coolant refill

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

CAV-BAZZA

Heaters not working since flush and coolant refill

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Morning, hope you all are well lol because I ain't, well let me tell you how it happened and then you can tell me what I need to do, basically I flushed my coolant system out and refilled with new anti-freeze but this morning, I put the heaters on to clear the mist and they don't seem to be working at all not even on the full speed, everything was working perfect until the flush and refill , is there some air lock I need to get rid off if so how do I do this, it's fustrating as winter is here and misty windows is going to be a everyday thing and without a heater it be hard, as usual all help will be appriciated thanks guys hope someone can help
Cavalier342

Re: Heaters not working since flush and coolant refill

Post by Cavalier342 »

You mean the fan itself isn't working or that you are not getting heat?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Nothing at all, it only happened when I done the flush and refilled it before that it was working but now it's nothing no heat or air
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

It will just be a big air lock. I would start the engine with the coolant cap off and go round all the water pipes and squeeze them all many times and you should statt to hear allot of bubbling coming from the coolant tank.

Keep the heaters turned on inside and just keep checking it till you have heat.
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

The temperature sits at 90 and below the fan in engine kicks in just over 90, would a air lock still be possible, or would the air lock just be mainly to the heater part
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The heater fan itself has nothing to do with the coolant system, check the wiring to it, the fuse and the resistor pack which plugs onto the fan unit. Probably one of them.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

I see so I can't be a air lock, it's suprising as it was all ok I know there was a little squeak when. It was on a low setting but worked perfect, it's only when I did the flush and refilled it seems to not work il have a look at the fuse would this be in the engine bay fuse box and also what the amp it will be thanks guys really need to sort it as it's winter
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

iirc it's fuse 4 in the dash, 30A
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Thanks il have a look at the fuses, will let you guys know how I get on
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Is it true that if it's the resistor is will only work on the highest setting on the heater ?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Could be, sometimes you can get random speeds that won't work, I have heard of what you mentioned though...
Previous:

CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

So I think that can be eliminated from my predictions because no heater settings work, I need to check fuse and then the wiring, is there anything else other than these that can effect the heater not working at all
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fan motor itself could be seized, if you mention squeaking, that'll be the bearing drying up. Causing resistance which would overheat the resistor pack. That's my guess. Also just to eliminate it, when you check the fuse, look at the terminal in which the fuse sits, and the plastic all around to make sure it hasn't melted. That happened on my old early hatchback. Had to re-fuse it with a separate in-line fuse.
Previous:

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Thanks for the link, it goes to show it can still be the resistor as robsey mentions he had no air on any settings but il investigate it all in the morning, will keep you guys posted, night night (10.47pm) sweet dreams lol
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Morning again, just a update checked my fuse 4 it's seems good no burns or melting, I am now going to use some wire to see if it's the thermal fuse, hope it's a easy fix, will be right back to update
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Hello guys, solved the problem I bypassed the thermal fuse and all setting work, my question now is what degrees thermal fuse do I need and how would I fit it, I know robsey mentioned not to use solder, and andrei I see you used a flat plier to fit it, how did you do this thank you all for your help I do appriciate it, at least we have eliminated the problems and also a great thank for posting the link (I loved my mantas) it really helped thanks a lot all needed is to get and for the the thermal fuse, how I love the simplisity of older cars
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Basically I got one from Maplin, I can't remember if it was 82c or 86c rating, it might say on your original one, get as close as you can to that number, but no lower. I literally bent the electrodes of the new thermal fuse around the resistor pins, looping them around once, and crushed them together. Then just cut off the excess. Works fine for me up to this day.

Think it cost me like 60p or something, you'll have to ask for it at the electronics desk as they don't do them on the shelves, well not in our local one anyway.
Previous:

CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Thanks andrei, il get one sorted tommoro,il take my resistor with me so they can match one up thanks again guys glad I know what it is
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You're welcome mate, let us know how you get on.
Previous:

CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Hello all, thank you for all your help got my thermal fuse from maplin 89p, and it's working very well so pleased and so glad I have a cavalier 2 reasons firstly as all you guys are very helpful and also working on a older car is so easier than a newer car, thank you all again I do appreciate it loads thanks again and again
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Good stuff!! Well done mate, that's another one sorted :thumb
Previous:

CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

Thanks, the fan is bit squeaky is there anything I can use to quiet it down, or would it ruin it more if I sprayed anything on it, thanks
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I usually use some drip oil, get the nozzle right into the center shaft and turn it by hand. That means removing the fan unit itself, which isn't difficult but a little fiddly.

Try turning it by hand, if it feels kind of stiff and stops very quickly, it will need lubricating.
Previous:

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Glad it was such an easy & cheap fix, wish they were all like that !

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt