No charge light

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Terry

No charge light

Post by Terry »

I'm having problems with my Cav and it's charging system.
It's a brand new Alternator but it's not charging at all, I'm getting a reading of between 9-10 volts with engine running.

There is no battery light on the dash at all Not even with just ignition on. I've swapped the bulb and it's still not lighting up.
Because of this I'm getting DTC of 48 and 49 which are both battery supply voltage codes.

Other than a faulty regulator or wiring fault what else code be causing this? Does the charge system run through a fuse and relay?
Hayward691

Re: No charge light

Post by Hayward691 »

Just to cover all bases... Is the belt nice and tight? All connections tight? Any corroded wires. Did ou test off the alternator or on the battery... Could be a duff battery...

And your sure the alternator you put on is a good one :)
Terry

Post by Terry »

No corroded or damaged wires that I could see. Engine has just been changed for a LET so it's all been out and looked over.
Only checked off the battery, Alt and Battery are both new so I doubt it would be them unless it was a faulty reg, But I'm sure I'd get a battery light on the dash.

I do suspect it's a wiring fault of relay but don't know where the relay is to check it.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Engine earth?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Terry

Post by Terry »

Good call..was just about to update now. Put jump lead from alt body to battery and I now have a dash light. I did paint the block and lots of stuff powder coated.
I thought I'd cleaned up all earth points....Obviously not lol
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Ive seen allot of people painting the gearbox and block then fitting engine and using only a gearbox earth and because of the paint between block and box they have had allot of problems.
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

TurboDan wrote:Ive seen allot of people painting the gearbox and block then fitting engine and using only a gearbox earth and because of the paint between block and box they have had allot of problems.

I've seen this to...
Terry

Post by Terry »

That's not my issue. I think it's just where the alternator mounts isn't earthing well. I'll add another earth strap to the alternator.