Standalone

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

OPCed

Standalone

Post by OPCed »

Hi guys n gals,

My name is Ed and I hoping to find a Cav SRi 8v (facelift style) at some point for a long term project/resto gm mod and currently researching few bits.

My question is about stand alone ECU's and the effect on a Cav. So looking for those that have experience with standalone.

So can I get some pro's and cons of a standalone on your road going cav's. :thumb

i.e engine light issue with no motronic ecu in place

I am a blitz and griffin head and loved my old Cav V6 here some pics of my better cars in there day.

V6 Cav

Astra MK1

Siggy n Burg the current driveway
DRIVE A Toyota!!!!!! - that's social suicide!!!!
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Standalone

Post by humbucker »

Hello, and welcome the Mk3 Cavalier Owners Club!

A nice collection of Griffins there. As for standalone management, many Turbo owners have opted for chips in the Motronic ECU (e.g. EDS or VMAXX). Standalone management has also been used by many. This post might be of interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11300&p=153173#p153173
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

As for an illuminated EML light, if it is redundant as a consequence of fitting a new electronic brain to your car, simply remove the bulb. Hey presto! No more EML light.
OPCed

Post by OPCed »

Sound, thanks for welcome, was thinking it was that simple for EML :thumb

I am not sure if there any other bugs a standalone might cause with the older tech in Cavalier's. All cav's had in past I was either not kind to them being young or just making them pretty. It was only recent years that I got in to tech side mainly because of my Astra made it look like I needed a electrical engineering degree when I first got it :lol:
Super89

Post by Super89 »

I'm running on standalone on my pre-facelift SRi 8v. Omex 600. Runs very nice indeed..
OPCed

Post by OPCed »

Excellent other than the eml bulb is there any other bugs with the cars system, faults, bulbs etc