Starter motor busted - Please help!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

VectraGoVroom

Starter motor busted - Please help!

Post by VectraGoVroom »

Starter's had an odd labored whine to it when starting for a week or so now. A couple days ago with the engine warm, she wouldn't start at all. Just a sloooow crank, as if the battery was completely empty. My brother rode in to help again and towed her started, after which I went to have the alternator checked. 14.54V at idle. Got home and put the brand new battery on the charger overnight. Next morning I hook it up and go to start. Just a click. A few taps on the starter with a baton and several cycles of the key and it starts cranking incredibly slowly again, no change from earlier. In addition, I can smell something like burning rubber or plastic after attempting to start. That's not smoke in the engine bay in the video though, just my breath. :D
- New battery
- Alternator is charging
- Battery terminals are clean and tight
- Ground connections are tight and intact
- Note the unusual whine

Link

Any ideas? Does my starter need new parts or a replacement, or could the problem be somewhere else?
Call them Cavs, but mine's a Veccy. <3
Cavalier342

Re: Starter motor busted - Please help!

Post by Cavalier342 »

It does sound like the starter motor is struggling really badly, could just have burned itself out. If you're going to remove it, you may as well get a replacement.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
colin1

Post by colin1 »

It would have helped if you'd kept the camera over your dash lights for the entire crank but you got there eventually ;)

Dash lights dimming: I'd say worn bushings, brushes or commutator - if you're really unlucky, all of the above.
If this is the case your ignition system will be ramming current into the starter to compensate and this will explain the 'burning plastic' smell - you're frying the harness.
Do the battery cables (positive and negative) get warm after the crank?

Personally, I'd rather you didn't try this again as you risk permanent damage to the wiring harness which is a significantly bigger problem than sourcing a new starter - which is what it sounds like.

Verdict: reasonably safe bet that it's the starter
93K C20XE Cavalier SRi Hatchback Spectral Blue Metallic
94M X20XEV Cavalier SRi Hatchback Flame Red

96N C14NZ Corsa B 4-dr Flame Red'ish
VectraGoVroom

Post by VectraGoVroom »

Yep, new starter. Love it.

Link
Call them Cavs, but mine's a Veccy. <3
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Problem solved. Amazing how much quieter the new motor is.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...