vectra b central locking in a cav question

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Greig Sri

vectra b central locking in a cav question

Post by Greig Sri »

I've half fitted the vectra b central locking to my cavalier. Just need to change driver door motor for a passanger one.

Today I plugged in my spair door wiring loom and pass door motor attached to the lock mechanism. On the door plug of my cavalier drivers door.
The lock will now dead lock the drivers door (once fitted in to the door), but and it's a big but. The lock will not unlock with the key. So if the remote locking fails. Ie flat battery in car or key then there is no way to open the car.
Has anybody else fitted the vectra locking and confirm that the key will open or not open when the car is dead locked?

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: vectra b central locking in a cav question

Post by Robsey »

That is strange as it is only an electronic module shorting the dead lock wire to earth.

This should not matter whether it is the Vectra-B remote unit or the standard Cavalier unit.

My central locking is locked via an aftermarket remote alarm (Meta / Toad), and I can still unlock the doors with the key... but not the interior door plungers

I would think that it is more of a mis-aligned / mal-adjusted or simply incorrectly fitted mechanical lock link rod.

Or do you mean that you have also fitted a de-locked door handle.

If you have de locked the door handle, then all you can do is get in through the boot / hatch as it can be locked and unlocked independently of the doors.
Greig Sri

Re: vectra b central locking in a cav question

Post by Greig Sri »

No delocked door handle fitted. And no miss adjusted rods. I had my spair door lock mechanism with central locking motor lying on the floor . But conected up to the car. When I pushed the rod and clicked micro switch. As it would work when fitted in the door. Nothing happened. The motor would stay dead locked. Remember it's the pass motor fitted in drivers door to dead lock on remote.
The 2 motors are very different inside electricity. I also dug out my vauxhall remote up grade kit and wired it up on the bench. (See w.i.p. thred ). That kit can't dead lock the drivers door from the remote. Says in the instructions you need to use the key in the door. But will if I put pass side motor in drivers side. But then you can't use the key like the vectra unit to open it.
I think I may need to fit it up correctly inside the drivers door to double check. As I may be working it wrong on the bench.
This is why I was asking if anybody has the vectra stuff fitted and they can open the door with the key.
As you say you can get inside from the boot. But my car is a saloon so can't get to passanger compartment easy. I have a live wire in boot going to the battery (amp live). So could use that to power up central locking if car battery was flat. I also know what wire to earth out to make the central locking open the car (even dead locked). So I could run a wire to a hiden switch in the boot to open the doors.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)