Heater blower

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Heater blower

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I finally got around to fitting a new resistor pack about 2 months ago, I'd only had the top 2 speeds since I got the car.
A few days ago it suddenly only worked on top speed. I thought if it works on the 2 high then it's the resistor pack, none then check the fuse. I thought I'd check fuse anyway. That's when I got a bit confused. After looking at Haynes & a forum search everything says fuse 4. Here's my problem with that
I don't have a fuse 4, I don't even have the contacts in slot 4 :scratch
oddly, the two previous days I thought I could hear a faint fan sound with no noticeable blowing, before the engine was started.
I'm thinking seizing blower fan overloading the lower- speeds, there didn't seem to be any difference between the first two but at the same time i'm thinking if I could hear it faintly with the fan off, is it the switch?
Not sure which to try first
Can anyone confirm my thoughts or suggest otherwise & tell me how it's fused?
It's a 95 cdx with dead aircon
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Heater blower

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Strange it does not have pins for the fuse in 4.
There should be a 30A fuse for it and it's wired to the ignition so when you turn the key it should start. I believe - and Robsey can correct me - but fuse 24 is also part of this circuit and feeds the rad cooling fan motor - although looking at your photo, that is also missing...curious.
As usual, wiggle wiring about and check the seating of the resistor pack.
A seized fan can knock out the fuse - check to see if the fan is free running, otherwise it may have partly overloaded the resistor pack.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you have air con,
then you have a fuse number 47.

It is probably in the relay / fuse box at the back of the engine bay near to the ABS module / UK passenger side suspension tower.

You do not have a fuse 4 on air con cars.

Yup just checked.

F47 for air con is in the "engine bay relay frame".
Position 13a
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks, the fuse thing had me puzzled, i'll check it all tomorrow

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Does anyone know the logic behind making the air- con version fuse more inaccessible :scratch

Well It's been a while with no change, other than the top speed is starting to warble its disapproval of such neglect :roll:
As it was nice today I decided to remove the fan motor for re-furbishment. It had a 25 year old fur coat:

You may be asking yourself, what's the fastest/easiest way of cleaning a basic motor like this before stripping down ?
The answer......

....the dishwasher!
Didn't wash the resistor pack, that would just be silly :lol:
A wash on light setting, no salt added (obviously!) and a dishwasher liquid so no powdery residue

Clean enough for taking apart tomorrow, after a night in the boiler cupboard

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Does anyone know the logic behind making the air- con version fuse more inaccessible :scratch
With regards the air con, all the fuses, relays and cabling are in the box at the back of the engine bay. Near to the octane plug and diagnostic socket.

The more junk you shove in the car, the less space you have to access and work on it all.

Regarding the dish-washer...
As I am the kitchen godess, I am the only one in our house who uses it. I have washed loads of cruddy light lenses and thermoset plastic parts in it. All good.

My thought is that the usual motor issues are dry / worn bearings and worn brushes.
I am sure the armature will be filthy too.

So the best repair would be to replace the bearings and brushes.
Be careful that you don't lose the tiny metal balancing wires clipped onto the pastic fan ribs.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:

My thought is that the usual motor issues are dry / worn bearings and worn brushes.
I am sure the armature will be filthy too.

So the best repair would be to replace the bearings and brushes.
Be careful that you don't lose the tiny metal balancing wires clipped onto the pastic fan ribs.
My thoughts too. I've only rejuvenated alternators and starters, I was expecting the worst.
Amazingly the dishwasher revealed a bright armature with minimal scoring and brushes that'll probably outlast me! I don't know what I've done to deserve this!
There's no play in the motor but the bearings are a bit stiff. Been spraying wd40 (my favourite choice of aftershave) from both directions till it bleeds through, cleaning a path for something slightly heavier.
I seem to remember from past posts something about a newly lubricated motor smelling?
If that's the case then I might as well go with what's to hand - peanut oil ! It's a pure & light oil- and best of all- I can't think of a nicer smell than roasted peanuts wafting through the car........Mmmmm.......Bonus!
Picking up a thermal fuse, slightly higher rated at 228C instead of ff 216C, from local maplin later so should be back together soon :)
I'm not really sure the two clips will be much help now. As usual they've started corroding and loosened off so I don't know exactly where on the rib they were clamped :scratch

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Update
Soaked the bearings from both sides over 2 days- next chance to work on the car.
Replaced thermal fuse on resistor pack .
After reading other threads I decided to fit a 240C one. The 216C ( how do you do degrees symbol on a keyboard :scratch ) was a pattern part and I couldn't read the original , a quick scan of posts suggested (>)* 230C.
*( I can do that one ) :lol:
I've moved it away a little from the heat source/resistor pack but I did this late -on & didn't want refitting problems. If it had been daytime I would have checked how much space I had and cut as little of the wire as possible . I imagine these are made with the wire length figured into the tolerances ?

Maplin, on a Sunday.

240C fuse - 99p
Terminal connectors, smallest size, smallest pack (36) - over a fiver!
Still, a new resistor pack's a lot dearer. Not pretty but effective:

All back together now. I'm kicking myself for not checking position 0 when I tested with the cover off in scuttle panel. I checked pos. 1 and it was running smoothly & silently, the problem is, inside the car I can't tell the difference between pos. 0 and pos. 1 . They seem the same. Do air-con versions run all the time ?
Position 4 is better. There's a bit more dust blowing into the car :lol:

p.s. Disappointingly, peanut-oil doesn't smell of roast peanuts, just smells of oil :cry

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Good job.
I always think it's best to try and mend something first before replacing it with a new part.
Parts are getting harder to find after all and it will be better for everyone in the long run if we all did this.

If you switch the air-con on, then the fan will automatically spin at the lowest speed. Even if the air-con isn't working.
Try pressing the air-con button with the fan switch in position 0 and see if that makes a difference.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Spot-on about the air-con switches. I didn't think they worked as they won't light up but that solved the problem. Thanks

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Pleasure to be of service. 8-)
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks for fixing the photos Robsey
Apologies for not noticing sooner :oops:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

No Worries.
Always happy to help.

Took a few attempts as I got a little confused at one stage... but all good now.

If you need any tweaks, just shout up :thumb