Speedo not working

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

belmont_dazz

Speedo not working

Post by belmont_dazz »

Removed my clocks tonight to wire up a speed sensor and my speedo stopped working. Checked cable and thats turning whilst driving. Iv checked to make sure its connected. Are the clocks known to fail that easy?
Just wondering if theres something else i can do before finding some more clocks
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Speedo not working

Post by Robsey »

I am assuming standard mechanical cable.

Only two things come to mind.

1 - cable is snapped somewhere along it's length.
So assuming that turning one end of the cable causes the other end to do likewise, then that rules out the cable.

2 - cable not quite plugged in / engaged at either end.
But you state that the cable is indeed fully located in the back of the speedo head.

I have never had a mechanical speedo fail on any of my cars. It does sound odd that yours has failed after doing some work on the cable.

I would just recheck that the cable is properly engaged.
I didn't think they were particularly weak or easy to break.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I was going to ask this I'm my WIP thread but as it's come up; I'm having a similar problem with my LS.

Occasionally, normally when it hasn't been driven in a while, the speedo won't work at all for the first mile or so of driving. It will just sit at the bottom of the dial until it suddenly springs into life, after which it works as normal for the remainder of the journey.

I haven't checked anything or fiddled with anything yet. It just developed on it's own accord.
I used to have a problem with the rev counter whereby it would give inaccurate readings and jump around the dial randomly. Funnily enough this fixed itself while in storage and it reads perfectly now. :scratch
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I've had this in the past where the cable has snapped in such away that it turns, but doesn't turn when it has the clocks connected (too much load), or is kinked in such a way that it can't turn properly.
My advisee would be to disconnect from the gearbox end and see if turning the cable manually moves the speedo.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

Envoy is correct. It turned whilst driving but i removed it completely and found it broken. Good job i have a new one :)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Glad I could offer some advise on that :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index