Lights cable chaffing on power steering

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

Lights cable chaffing on power steering

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Thought it might be worth mentioning this as you may want to check your own cavy for this. Especially if one of the later models with OHC and the serpentine belt. I was having a nosy around tonight and noticed the cable that comes up from the bottom of the front to go into the light unit was chaffing off the power steering pump, luckily it doesn't look like any serious damage yet. I think it was when the engine moved on its mounts it may have been touching it.

It seems that the cable has probably been pushed back while refitting the lights. The cable is clamped on lower down but the top section is not so hence why it is further back and very close to the pump. In this case was touching. Easy fix is just push the excess cable back in to light unit compartment; it doesn't spring back and is sort of wedged between the light and the edge of light compartment. Here is a pic after I had moved it out of the way. White arrow indicates the bit where it was chaffing:

Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Lights cable chaffing on power steering

Post by Robsey »

I am guessing it may have been moved or rerouted at some point, because I know my wires definitely do not pass any where near to any moving parts.

The only wires that should go anywhere near a moving sprocket or pulley, are the engine coolant temp sensor that goes near to the alternator pulley.
The oil pressure switch wire near the back of the alternator pulley, and the crank angle sensor that goes all around the timing belt casing and past the power steering pulley.

Usually the cable at most risk of chafing is a loose abs sensor wire, when it gets rubbed by a front tyre.

Worth noting though, so that we can all add this to our next under bonnet check.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Lights cable chaffing on power steering

Post by Robsey »

Just checked, and it does come moderately close.
But only the part that goes down towards the radiator thermo switch.