Bosch RK113 / VIM 129 Single Button Immobiliser - help!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Markb

Bosch RK113 / VIM 129 Single Button Immobiliser - help!

Post by Markb »

My car is 1994 car fitted with the Bosch RK113 / VIM 129 Single Button Immobiliser and I have started experiencing issues with it not recognising the key fob. Sometimes it can take over 10 minutes of messing about for it to finally work!

My question is has anyone ever experienced this or bypassed / removed the system?

I have read loads of posts on the Monterey forums with people saying about them causing issues and bypassing them and from what I believe they are the same units. They suggest using the guide that the Ford Probe guys use as they are bad for causing problems and although the immobiliser is a Bosch VIM 129, it is almost identical to the Bosch VIM 125 fitted to the Ford Probe, and the pinouts are the same.

I have followed the guide http://www.ukpoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52591 and joined 9-11, 10-13 and 15-16 and tried to start the car once my Toad Ai606 is disarmed and nothing.

I have noticed that one of the solder pins on the back of the board that controls one of the relays has heat marks round it and looks to have moved. So this would probably explain the issues.

I have also found this Opel guide https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... r2VT29buvg and the pins seem to telly up correctly, but it leaves the following that are not connected up:

Switching Output for Central Locking Brown/Red pin 2
Switching Output for Central Locking Brown/White pin 6
Blocking Input on terminal 58r at the turn signal switch colours gray/red

Do you think any of these need rejoining or connecting too?

I have put the immobiliser unit back in and the car starts, but I know it is going to play up again. So any help is appreciated as I want to remove it and just use the Toad system instead.

Mark
1994 Polar Sea Blue Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - Total Vauxhall cover car (Jan 2015 / Issue 170)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Bosch RK113 / VIM 129 Single Button Immobiliser - help!

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Sorry Mark no idea, perhaps Robsey can help?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Markb

Post by Markb »

Lowrider Dave wrote:Sorry Mark no idea, perhaps Robsey can help?
Thanks I have seen on Migweb that you had similar issues with yours.
1994 Polar Sea Blue Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - Total Vauxhall cover car (Jan 2015 / Issue 170)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

With regard to the central locking and indicator wires...
I cannot see these being disconnected would have any effect upon the starting and running of the engine.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you wish to fully bypass the immobiliser, it is more or less a matter of matching like for like coloured wires, and joining them together.

You can clearly see which wires are controlled by the relays within the immobiliser module.

I get the following pairs to be joined.
Using the frontera pin out.

Fuel Pump circuit - Black greens on pins 1 and 5

Ignition live voltage - Yellows on pins 3 and 9

Starter circuit - black reds on pins 13 and 15

From what I can see. You have done this, so it should not play up as long as your connections are soldered and sleeved.

Markb

Post by Markb »

Thank you for the reply.

Looking on another post with similar info it appears that the bypass I did on the plug by joining the cables together should have worked as it is the same (see my drawing below that I did after working out the pins from the Opel site I found)? So I wonder why it did not start?

For info the one on mine is behind the glove box in an aluminium case with rivots holding it together. Also all of the wires in the plug are black, as opposed to colour on that thread, but it is the same immobiliser.

Markb

Post by Markb »

I am sure the same pin on the back of my board is like this. Is this showing joining the solder onto the track above to it? As I thought they were separate?

Markb

Post by Markb »

Finally isn't this method missing a jumper? As 3 should be jumped? Fuel, dizzy, starter?

Markb

Post by Markb »

This post shows the relays on the board, etc...

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... r2VT29buvg
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The most permanent method is to short the pins at the connector.

The Ford version uses all black wires, which is why I did not list any.

The socket should have pin numbers embossed onto it, so this can be checked to ensure you have the pin numbers in the correct orientation.

The Ford version is more sensible where the numbers are sequential.
1 to 8, then 9 to 16, but the Opel version is like house numbers, odds on one side and evens on the other.
Markb

Post by Markb »

Robsey wrote:The most permanent method is to short the pins at the connector.

The Ford version uses all black wires, which is why I did not list any.

The socket should have pin numbers embossed onto it, so this can be checked to ensure you have the pin numbers in the correct orientation.

The Ford version is more sensible where the numbers are sequential.
1 to 8, then 9 to 16, but the Opel version is like house numbers, odds on one side and evens on the other.
Thanks I found that that they are not sequential this what my diagram below is showing along with the pins that I joined on the plug with short wires loops. I will try this again incase the contacts in the plug were not good enough, but if it does not start with these bridged have you got any other suggestions? May be the Toad alarm is wired off this in someway and expecting an output from one of the pins?

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is the toad alarm, try switching on the bypass at the rear. It should be like a small barrel key or a little switch on the actual alarm ECU box.

I have the modular version, which is the M85a plus M8 module and so on (M is for Meta which was absorbed by Toad Install about 15 years ago).
Markb

Post by Markb »

Robsey wrote:If it is the toad alarm, try switching on the bypass at the rear. It should be like a small barrel key or a little switch on the actual alarm ECU box.

I have the modular version, which is the M85a plus M8 module and so on (M is for Meta which was absorbed by Toad Install about 15 years ago).
I don't think the Toad alarm is at fault as it is the disarming of the Bosch that is causing issues. I am wondering if the Toad is wired so that it expects a feed from the Bosch once it is disarmed? As you have to put the ignition on, disarm the Bosch then disarm the Toad (large green button) to start it.

Are you thinking turn the Toad off with the pins jumped and see if it starts? Is what you have explained a valet mode for the Toad?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes - it is the valet mode.

I only use it when the car goes in for MOT, service or repairs.
Markb

Post by Markb »

Robsey wrote:Yes - it is the valet mode.

I only use it when the car goes in for MOT, service or repairs.
Thought it must be the valet mode. If I remember correctly from the Clifford's it disables the alarm completely so that will not lock, arm or immobilise?

Are you thinking try it like that with the pins jumped and if it starts the Toad could be at fault? Or that may be the Toad is expecting something else from the Bosch wiring if it starts?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As such - I thought the Toad was a fully freestanding alarm.
So not tied in to your alarm.

But I could be wrong.
I am just wondering if both the alarm and the immobiliser are wired up idependently to immobilise the car.

A bit like having two off switches in series.
So bypass / valet mode each one to see if it solves your non start issue.
Markb

Post by Markb »

Robsey wrote:As such - I thought the Toad was a fully freestanding alarm.
So not tied in to your alarm.

But I could be wrong.
I am just wondering if both the alarm and the immobiliser are wired up idependently to immobilise the car.

A bit like having two off switches in series.
So bypass / valet mode each one to see if it solves your non start issue.
I think the Toad Alarm is an immobiliser too. So you are correct about them both being off switches in series. I am just wondering if the Toad is needing something from one of the Bosch immobiliser circuits once it is disarmed as you need to disable both to start it.

Like you say I can bypass the Bosch by bridging the pins on the plug and put the Toad in Valet mode and see if it starts (which it should do). If that is the case where does that leave me with the Bosch bypass? As I need the Toad to be active without the Bosch system.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Do you have a wiring pin out for the Toad alarm.
I have one for my M85A. .but not a i1606.
If you do - let me know and I will pm my email address to you.

I will see what it is looking for...
It may be that the the immobiliser is also switching something on the toad alarm.
There will be no data communication as such.

Just a switched live or switched ground somewhere.

With regard to valet mode.
On mine (M85A), the valet mode only bypasses the alarm and immobilser.
It still operates the remote central locking.
Markb

Post by Markb »

Robsey wrote:Do you have a wiring pin out for the Toad alarm.
I have one for my M85A. .but not a i1606.
If you do - let me know and I will pm my email address to you.

I will see what it is looking for...
It may be that the the immobiliser is also switching something on the toad alarm.
There will be no data communication as such.

Just a switched live or switched ground somewhere.
Thanks here is a link to the installation manual in a PDF format. http://dub-se7en.toyotagtturbo.com/usef ... nstall.pdf
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I cannot see anything looking for a signal or a switched output.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Markb wrote:Thanks I have seen on Migweb that you had similar issues with yours.
Yes I did. Dan came over and helped - we found a dry solder but in trying to repair it we were checking the pins out and fried part of the circuit so we just rigged shut the immobiliser relay and glue gunned shut. No immobiliser! Although that didn't stop the ignition woes - that was a crank sensor that played up despite it giving good feedback on the oscilloscope...anyway a chapter of Cav ownership I'm happy to forget!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS