Crank sensor removal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Pootz

Crank sensor removal

Post by Pootz »

How do you remove the crank sensor without removing the air conditioning pump or the power steering pump as it's located between the two of them making it awkward to get to?
Cheers
cavalier1990

Re: Crank sensor removal

Post by cavalier1990 »

Pootz wrote:How do you remove the crank sensor without removing the air conditioning pump or the power steering pump as it's located between the two of them making it awkward to get to?
Cheers
I think it's an absolute pain in the butt to be honest. I think it's probably been put there in the thinking that it will probably never need to be accessed, given most cars only last 10 years max, unlike some of us who keep them running 20 years and beyond. Imagine the only option would be to remove the pumps from their mountings and let them hang so you can get to it.
Pootz

Post by Pootz »

All done now. 2.5 hours of stripping bits off the car held on by seized or rusty bolts
Was a nightmare
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

cavalier1990 wrote:
Pootz wrote:How do you remove the crank sensor without removing the air conditioning pump or the power steering pump as it's located between the two of them making it awkward to get to?
Cheers
I think it's an absolute pain in the butt to be honest. I think it's probably been put there in the thinking that it will probably never need to be accessed, given most cars only last 10 years max, unlike some of us who keep them running 20 years and beyond. Imagine the only option would be to remove the pumps from their mountings and let them hang so you can get to it.

To be fair most cavs haven't got AC to worry about.
Pootz

Post by Pootz »

iangsi wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:
Cheers

I wish mine hadn't.
It doesn't work anyway
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Pootz wrote:All done now. 2.5 hours of stripping bits off the car held on by seized or rusty bolts
Was a nightmare
Certainly looks it too! Hope it fixed the problem.
Pootz

Post by Pootz »

cavalier1990 wrote:
Pootz wrote:All done now. 2.5 hours of stripping bits off the car held on by seized or rusty bolts
Was a nightmare
It sure did.
For the first time since buying it I have a cavalier that runs as it should
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Pootz wrote:
iangsi wrote:
I wish mine hadn't.
It doesn't work anyway
You could remove the air con pump.
And if necessary get a different shorter drive belt if all the pulleys are driven by the same belt.
It shouldn't be that hard to remove the air con compressor pump,
and plug the pipe ends.
I am assuming that there is no refridgerant left to leak out.

If the aircon pump has a drive belt all of it's own then you don't even need to do that.
Just remove the air con belt.

Having one less pulley to drive will put less effort on the engine, it's cooling system and save some fuel too.
Pootz

Post by Pootz »

It only needs a broken wire fixing so I'm leaving it as it is for now and I'll get it sorted at some point.
There's other things I need before I do the air conditioning such as wing mirror, scratch on wing and bumper repainting
Vladanman

Post by Vladanman »

Pootz wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:
Was a nightmare
It sure did.
For the first time since buying it I have a cavalier that runs as it should
Hi, what were the symptoms?