Retrofitted remote locking being weird

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

VectraGoVroom

Retrofitted remote locking being weird

Post by VectraGoVroom »

So I grabbed the remote locking box and remote from a junker Vectra-B and threw it in Veccy. Spliced a red wire to pin 18 on the second connector and got it working. However, from time to time it seems to forget about the remote. Perhaps the car has been sitting overnight, and the remote will be unresponsive for a few clicks, then finally flash the light, but the car won't respond. If I get in, turn on the ignition and press a button on the remote, it'll work again for a while.

Any ideas?
Call them Cavs, but mine's a Veccy. <3
VectraGoVroom

Re: Retrofitted remote locking being weird

Post by VectraGoVroom »

Does the remote generally need re-syncing after battery replacement? The door is a little loose on the fob and might be causing intermittent connection, could that be the issue?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you are suffering a loose battery cover on the fob, then yes it is possible that the fob needs re-sync'ing.

I think simply cycling between lock and unlock a few times whilst sat or stood very close to where the remote receiver is located, is all that is needed.
VectraGoVroom

Post by VectraGoVroom »

I bought another remote from a guy on Facebook for a pack of cigarettes. Desoldered the circuit board from that one and soldered the one from mine onto the better contacts and casing on the new remote. Seems more consistent now, we'll see how it holds up in the long run.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Another quick fix...
And not too expensive.

My favourite kind of fixes. :thumb