Radio CD player compatibility.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

bobthevoice

Radio CD player compatibility.

Post by bobthevoice »

Hi there, when i bought my Cavalier it had the Grundig radio cassette player in it and i looked about here for options to install with a CD player.i read here that OEM items where like hens teeth so i looked at new modern items but was put off by the flashing lights and razzmatazz they came with.all i wanted was a radio CD player without fancy add-on's .so looking on Ebay for options such as Phillips,Grundig or VDO, I,E. original equipment items i came op with a VDO unit with the code numbers. VDO,79 DC 631/97 DC12 and VDDCO142096600 and 9079 216 31979.
at the rear of the unit all the pins where the same as the Grundig sc303 removed.
Now when i looked at the VDO unit when it arrived the only difference was that the Arial connector was set back about 1/2" further that made it impossible to connect with it's other half when pushing the unit into the carrier. but all that had to be done to resolve this issue was to unclip the lead from the carrier by manipulating the 3 clips to disconnect them,then you can re-route the Arial cable through the large hole in the centre of the carrier that gives enough length so that you can connect it to the unit then push the unit fully home.
the bonus is also that the Arial mast goes up and down as intended.
this VDO unit was originally fitted to the HYUNDAI range of cars. and being a bit fussy i picked up a small Vauxhall gel sticker that fitted straight over the front face of the unit to cover the Hyundai name. these items are very cheap £20 is all i paid and it sounds fine basic but fine.so if you just want a radio/cd that is basic and does what it says on the tin with no bells,whistles or flashing light nonsense? that looks as though it was factory? why not.

Bob
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Radio CD player compatibility.

Post by iangsi »

Hi Bob, have you got any pics of this fitted, I take it this unit has all the normal functions bass, treble, front to rear fader ?
bobthevoice

Re: Radio CD player compatibility.

Post by bobthevoice »

Well here's the kicker,the unit has preset tone controls by pushbutton. and t//controls etc there seems to be no fade or balance either that i can find but the sound quality is pretty good with good volume.i havn't looked for a user manual yet that may well highlight other features such as you mention.but,for the price? no quibbles from me.