New aircon compressor required 1995 CDX

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

bryzelius

New aircon compressor required 1995 CDX

Post by bryzelius »

The aircon on my Cavalier is not working and has being diagnosed as due to a faulty compressor and condensor. The latter is obtainable from GM but the former is not, though several are shown on Ebay, apparently manufactured by Delphi. Does anyone know which one is correct for my 1995 CDX ? I know there is a year change at 1992, but some of the Ebay ads suggest that the same compressor can be used on all years.

Does anyone have chapter and verse on aircon compressors ? Even better, does anyone have a working compressor they don't need (ok, bit of a long shot) ?
Mk3alan

Re: New aircon compressor required 1995 CDX

Post by Mk3alan »

Are you really sure it's the compressor?
My Astra compressor gave up but it was just the clutch coil which was faulty, coils are available and quite easy (and cheaper!) to fit with no de gassing.
Astra coil was £25.

Alan
bryzelius

Re: New aircon compressor required 1995 CDX

Post by bryzelius »

Thanks for your response Alan. It's already degassed itself, having been filled only five days previously, so I thought it was likely to be the whole unit. Incidentally, your car (assuming that's it in the picture) looks very similar to my two, both are 1995 4 doors (don't like hatchbacks) in satin red, one a 2l CDX, the other a 1.8GL. Not many 4 doors left now.