Front Door and Rear Speakers recommended replacements?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

GLC

Front Door and Rear Speakers recommended replacements?

Post by GLC »

Hi,

My front and rear factory speakers are getting a bit past there best after 23 years!

I want some affordable i.e sub £50-£100 max replacements that fit the factory holes and spaces on my Cav so I can improve the music quality while driving etc.

Have been told previously that Used speakers from a Vectra B SRI / CDX are suitable direct replacements?

Cheers.
tonyo

Re: Front Door and Rear Speakers recommended replacements?

Post by tonyo »

I've replaced mine with Pioneer Twin Cone in the front doors and rear shelf. Rears are TS-G1731i (17cm), and are a direct swap for the originals. Can't remember what the fronts are, but they needed adaptor rings to fit.

Both pairs came in at about £50, with the adaptors. They won't blow your ears out but, for me, matched to a factory head, and in a 25 year old Cav, there really wasn't any point splooging loads on fantastic speakers. They do a decent enough job..
1992 Cav 2.0 8v Diplomat - RIP
1990 Astra 2.0 8v GTE Cabrio
2018 Jaguar XE 180 R-Sport
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have heard that the Vectra-B speakers do indeed fit well, and also offer much better sound quality compared to the the much older tired Cavalier speakers.
GLC

Post by GLC »

tonyo wrote:I've replaced mine with Pioneer Twin Cone in the front doors and rear shelf. Rears are TS-G1731i (17cm), and are a direct swap for the originals. Can't remember what the fronts are, but they needed adaptor rings to fit.

Both pairs came in at about £50, with the adaptors. They won't blow your ears out but, for me, matched to a factory head, and in a 25 year old Cav, there really wasn't any point splooging loads on fantastic speakers. They do a decent enough job..
Thanks for the suggestion that's the kind of thing I'm looking for, just after something that will do a decent job and fit the original spaces without having to chop anything about to make them fit the car.
Robsey wrote:I have heard that the Vectra-B speakers do indeed fit well, and also offer much better sound quality compared to the the much older tired Cavalier speakers.
Someone recommended them to me a few years ago as they did the same to a MK3 Astra and reckoned there a direct fit. Might have to pop in a scrapyard one afternoon and take a look. :)