Central locking

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Mk3alan

Central locking

Post by Mk3alan »

My CD has just developed a central locking problem where the first lock position on driver's door doesn't do anything other than only lock the driver's door mechanically, the rest remain unlocked.
The second dead lock position locks all doors, I'm guessing there's a two position switch in there that's needing some switch cleaner?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Central locking

Post by Robsey »

There are two micro switches wrapped around the lock barrel.

The one with the black / blue wire is the dead lock switch.

So you want the other one.

Check the switch is located correctly, and also that the wiring is intact, securely plugged into the door loom, and that all pins are clean.

After 20-odd years, wiring can degrade, connectors get dirty or the switches get dislodged - especially if you are enthusiastic when shutting the door.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks for the heads up, Most odd! not done it all day been working well, oiled all the locks and have been trying the locks and all working properly?
Rather not pull the door apart if I don't have to.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is a matter of pulling off the door cards.

Which involves -
1- Undoing 3 screws along the bottom of the door pocket.

2 - One hidden clip inside the back part of the door pocket where it curves up. Look for a slot where you press a hook / tang to release it from the door card / pocket.

3 - Undo the screw in the bottom of the door handle.

4 - Unclip the door release handle bezel to expose 2 more screws.

5 - remove and unplug the switch if you have electric mirrors.

6 - Then carefully prize the card away from the door starting along the bottom edge and working your way up the front and back.
Release the top clips.

7 - Then whilst holding the card away from the door at the bottom - slide the door card up and off from the door pin.

Now you have the plastic membrane to peel out of the way...
All good fun.
Expect lots of scratches and scrapes when reaching around inside the door shell.

Just for good measure - the micro switches sit side by side on the lock barrel held in place by a thin flimsy metal clip.
Access is hindered by the presence of the window glass rear channel and the various lock link rods.

(Do not work within audible range of the family swear box - it may bankrupt you).
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I could probably do a how 2 quite easily, as I need to do more work on my passenger side front door card anyway.

All the push peg mounting brackets have been ripped off by a clumsy previous owner.

Oh the joys of impatience... :roll:
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks for the detailed description although I have had all the doors apart when I filled them with wax!
This morning all working fine, tonight can't lock the door! Key won't move to the rear locking position! Feels solid.
Locked car by lifting driver's handle and pushing button down.
Looks like I will have to take the panel off after all!
Blast. Or words to that effect.

Alan