Dash/heater bulbs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Mk3alan

Dash/heater bulbs

Post by Mk3alan »

After reading all about heater panel lights I decided it was time to do something about mine - none of them work!
Removed glovebox in the hope I could get to the heater bulbs but that sure, will have another look once it's dark! Looks pretty inaccessible, panel might have to come off.
Removed bulb from clock, small push in type of 1.2w, are the other bulbs of the same type ? Including the ones in the Speedo/rev counter panel.
And how many?
Also found an unused connector behind glovebox (yellow, 20ish pins) would that be for a computer replacement for my clock?

Alan
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Dash/heater bulbs

Post by iangsi »

I think the dash illumination lamps are 1.2W ones but the warning light lamps are different, as for the yellow plug if was on the left side it's probably for the factory fitted alarm the trip computer one is up behind the clock on the right side
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks, must be for the trip computer as it came from behind clock. I saw the alarm unit on the left up high.
Your right I think the warning lamps are those that go through the PCB from the rear and turn into position. Must be a couple behind the dash for general illumination?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

All standard dash bulbs are 1.2 watt capless bulbs.

The speedo cluster illumination is 3 green socket bulbs that looks like the 1.2 watt bulbs, but are a higher wattage.
Part number for the 2 watt bulb complete with holder is 93190931

There is one big bulb for the battery / charge warning tell tale. I think this is also 3 watts.
Part number 91145676

With regards the yellow 20-odd pin connector, it is indeed the 26 pin connector for the fuel computer that fits in place of the clock or dual info display.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks Robert I shall order up the bulbs so rather than replace the ones that are out I shall replace the lot while it's apart.
The fuel computer, does that mean it would 'just plug in'?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ooh eck -Sunday name... ha ha.

It is sensible to replace the bulbs whilst the cluster is out,

although it s only the illumination bulbs that ever failed on my car - before I installed a digital dash (another story - another saga - another nightmare).

With regard to the fuel computer - yes it will just plug straight in -

BUT!!
99% of the time the computers are set up for XE engines.
(Program number 130 from memory).

And BUT number 2!!
You need the console switch wiring to be present to operate, adjust, reset or select anything - including the clock function.

Most cars have the yellow computer connector next to the glove box,
But they rarely have the console connector wired in.

It is merely 5 wires from the centre console to the big connector in the UK passenger side footwell (Connector X6).

I was a complete turkey when I fitted my switch many years ago.
I found the 5 wires that I needed that ran behind the glove box.
Here is the stupid (read as rough arse / cowboy) bit - rather than inserting the pins in X6, I cut (hacked into) the wiring behind the glovebox, and ran five wires down the dash to the centre console.
I was much younger and less consientious than I am now. Although in all fareness it all still works perfectly.

So - in brief.
Have a look somewhere near the hand brake lever, for a white connector tied up out of the way.

The 5 wires are-
1 - big select / set button.
2 - big reset button
3 - tiny dimple hour button
4 - tiny dimple minute button
5 - common return wire.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I also fitted a Vectra-B / Astra-G / Omega-B variable wiper stalk with the computer buttons on it.
Unfortunately the stalk does not have the buttons to set the clock -
only select and reset functions.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Well, after much bad language! I released the heater control panel. Removed one cable attachment but found the other 2 most annoying! - didn't get them released.
Pulled the panel as far out as I could with the connectors unplugged and found 'one' bulb?
So, are there only two in the panel? One in the clock and one behind the hot/cold slider? Both 1.2w push in type.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes - just one bulb in the heater panel.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Thanks, don't know why but I though there was at least a couple - long time since it's been illuminated!

Alan
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Well, new Osram bulbs that are supposed to have a life of 20,000 hours! fitted.
Glad it was hot while springing that plastic dash panel in position - not the sort of job I'd like to repeat in a hurry!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The thing is - can you see all of the heater panel with the new bulb in place.

They are quite underwhelming after all the effort that has to be put in.

Next time - the led conversion. :roll: