Two stereo's?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

3cav3

Two stereo's?

Post by 3cav3 »

As I've now got two cavaliers with the original stereo tape decks I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use the slot underneath to house a cd unit? I've got a feeling I've seen it somewhere on here but I can't seem to find it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Two stereo's?

Post by Robsey »

It was never intended for that but yes you can indeed fit a single din cd player under there.

I have trial fitted a VW Gamma cassette in the upper slot and cd player in the bottom slot.

You will need to build support bracing or strips in the panel to hold the cd player in position.

Here is my VW parts - sadly not mounted in the radio facia.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for your reply, I thought it would be good to keep the original look with the better sounds as I haven't seen my old cassettes for years. Doubt I'd want to listen to most the songs nowadays either.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you are going "up to date", you can always fit a "deck-less" or "mech-less" radio.

They are quite cheap due to having no moving mechanical parts. So less to go wrong.
All USB and SD card storage these days

Also - because they are deck-less, they tend not to be as deep, so plenty more space behind for cabling etc if required.

As for cassettes - just like vinyl has made a come back, I believe cassettes have also had a resurgence in popularity.

For us old skool types. As for what is on my old cassettes - hmmm lets leave that there.
Eeek - I think "2 Unlimited" is one of the least embarrassing in the archives...but there are a few "Electro" tapes from the mid eighties too - yikes!! Really ?? :shock:
( ** buries his head and scuttles away before anyone can point a knowing finger of disgust ** )
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Electro tapes - now you're talking!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

"White Lines" or "Rapper's Delight" for the win.

Thankfully Herbie Hancock and co have been confined to the cassette archive along with
Electro 1 to 5, Electro Boogaloo and Rocket.

Sorry for you young uns with your modern pop-pap.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Robsey wrote:"White Lines"
:thumb
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Robsey wrote:"White Lines" or "Rapper's Delight" for the win.

Thankfully Herbie Hancock and co have been confined to the cassette archive along with
Electro 1 to 5, Electro Boogaloo and Rocket.

Sorry for you young uns with your modern pop-pap.

Electro all day long. :)
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Returning to topic,

I think the opening on the bottom slot is just a bit too baggy (from memory), so you may need to make up a small adapter panel to make a better fit.