Illuminated sun visors

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

chrisash86

Illuminated sun visors

Post by chrisash86 »

Has anybody retro fitted illumnating sun visors? Can it be done ? My cav has a electric sunroof not sure if that helps
Cavalier342

Re: Illuminated sun visors

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yep, you simply need the visors themselves with lights in them, and some wiring, either the factory plugs or run a wire to the permanent live above the interior cabin light and an earth to the earth.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Interesting that you have an electric sunroof yet no illuminated mirrors.
What model is it exactly?

Anyway, yes I'm sure it's possible to retrofit them. I've seen a few people on here do it before.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Well James it's a CDX V6 and a members ex car on here. Interestingly I've removed standard sun visor and no wires present unless they are hidden away, I thought with a CDX the illuminated sun visors would be standard
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Oh, of course, that's Dan's old V6.
Now I remember.

Yes, the CDX should have them as standard. If I remember correctly, there were a few oddities about that car.
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

That is strange mine is a CDX and has the illuminated sun visors along with electric sunroof. Good luck with your project.

Steve.
1995 (N) Cavalier 2.0 16V CDX
X20XVE Engine
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

James, it was Daves old V6, I'm going to take apart the sunroof trim around the switches maybe there's a wire lurking there
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yeah, sorry. I meant Dave.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Mine is a LSi and had electric one touch sunroof and illuminated sun visors.

As for wiring - I think mine comes on with the black ignition live wire, that I ran up from fuse F10 connection in the X6 floor connector.
(Sunroof ignition live).

As mine is the Omega one touch roof, I also had to run wires for full closure...
And another permanent live... I used the rear window lifter fuse, as I only have manual rear windows.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Electric sunroof and non illuminated sun visors are not that unusual. In Germany CDX and V6 has electric sunroof as standard, but only MY1995 got the illuminated visors.
I was surprised as I saw my 1994 CDX without them and checked the equipment lists in the brochures which confirmed that. In 1994 just the Turbo has them.

Retrofitting is quite simple:
You need the visors (suprisingly, isn't it? :D ) and the small wire loom. Permanent live is connected to the interior light through a Y-connector and ground is connected with ground screw from light.

Recommendation/Hint:
If you need new holders for the visors use these ones from Vectra B. The got a metal insert which prevents cracking (they will crack sooner or later). The have the same size and colour.
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Great I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to electrics do u know what parts I'll need ?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

As we've already mentioned above, you need to find a pair of illuminated sun visors, if you can, get the wiring plugs for them too. The wiring runs to the interior cabin light unit, it's simply spade connectors which slide onto pins, someone can tell you exactly which pins you need, all you need to do is give the sun visors a permanent live (red wire) and earth (black or brown wire) which are connected to the cabin light unit. Then test them by lifting the mirror covers, if the lights come on, job done.

If you get donor sun visors from another car (breakers, someone from here, etc), even if the wiring looms have been cut, you can just add a bit of spare wire onto the loom from the sun visors, one wire for live, one for earth.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...