Cavalier 2.0i diplomat no lights on dash won't start!!!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Widdyx

Cavalier 2.0i diplomat no lights on dash won't start!!!

Post by Widdyx »

Hi everyone I've just joined the site and would appreciate your help my cavalier had been running fine but I parked it for 2 weeks tried starting it where I realised I had no lights on my dash car turns over but won't fire I've checked fuses and black box behind steering colom tried hot wiring it but still dosent start just turns over battery is also fully charged I've had a look under Bonnet all seems ok there too wipers headlights indicators etc all work just no display on dash when I put ignition on and won't start any suggestions folks ????
Cavalier342

Re: Cavalier 2.0i diplomat no lights on dash won't start!!!

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hi, there could be a whole number of reasons why it won't fire up.

Let's start with the basics.. Are there any fuel hose leaks? Is the engine the C20NE? They are simple enough and don't have a lot to go wrong. I'm wondering if there is an earth issue somewhere, if you have no dash lights.. Have you checked the alternator and starter motor wires to make sure they are not rusty at the connection points?

When you say you tried to "hot wire it" how exactly did you try that? Not recommended really as that can fry the ECU in extreme cases.

Check your fuse number 11 if you haven't looked at that one as well to make sure that hasn't blown for some weird reason.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Instruments -
When you say " no display on dash",
I presume you mean no instruments and warning lights.

The only thing to disable the instruments would be a loose connector at the back.
Ignition live feed into instruments?
Fuse number 2 springs to mind.

All warnings are illuminated when shorted to earth via an ecu or switch including engine light, air bag light etc.
Without an ignition live feed to the instruments, you would not know if there is an engine light.
Flashing engine light = immobiliser issue.
Solid engine light = injection system fault.

Non-Start issue.
Total non-start of the engine could be fuel injection electronic control or fueling.

Electrics -
Engine Bay.
Have you got a spark at the plugs?

All earth cables clean and secure between battery and wing, and battery and bell housing.

Black connector wire between X5 connector and coil clean and securely fitted.

Fat red wire for fuel injection system securely attached to battery.

In the Cabin.
Can you hear the fuel pump clicking on and off with the ignition switch?

Is there any damp near the engine ecu in the driver's kick panel.

All connectors clean and secure below the ecu. 3 x square plugs also provide signals to instrument cluster (rpm, ecu light) and ignition live supply to the fuel pump relay.

Fuse 11 clean and intact - I would fit a new 20 amp fuse anyway to rule out a hidden fuse fault.

It could be considered to be a faulty ignition switch, but it is strange how only the injection system isn't working.
All other ignition live circuits are working.
Indicators etc.

I have heard of a faulty alternator putting random dash lights on - but not putting all the dash off.

Definitely is very strange.

I know you have checked all fuses - but I would fit clean new fuses anyway.
I have heard of fuses being duff despite looking visually okay.

A process of elimination.
Obvious stuff followed by progressively less likely.
1 - Battery connections
2 - earth connections.
3 - fuses and relays
4 - coil, fuel pump relay
5 - footwell connectors and ecu
6 - immobiliser if fitted / alarm.
7 - fuel pump or fuel pipes.

Apologies if it is a bit vague - but it is hard to fathom if the dash and non-start issues are related or not.

Normally if something is just stood and not disturbed, then logic says damp ingress.

I am going to be boring and repeat - new fuses in positions 2 and 11 !!
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

If I can make an educated guess:
connection of locking cylinder and ignition switch broken. Would explain every problem and occurs without an prior warning.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I mentioned the ignition switch briefly above,
but I could not reason in my head why all ignition live parts work but not the instruments and the engine ignition system.

I am itching to hear where this thread goes.
Widdyx

Post by Widdyx »

Hi peeps a really nice guide really appreciate it sorry been on after a few days I have checked wiring on battery and alternator look all intact and tight I put a wire on the black box on the back from one hall to another wer it was still just turning over but not firing also just realised passenger front footwell was all wet could water have gone to the ecu???? Or damp in connections
Widdyx

Post by Widdyx »

Or which relay could I check ....
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ECU is in the Driver's foot-well up above / behind the bonnet release lever.
(My release lever has been detached for access, and is dangling down obscuring the fuel pump relay - yellow line)

Passenger footwell has a major connector in it - X6.

(Mine is quite cluttered / messy, because Toad / Meta installed my alarm / immobiliser wiring in this area - not the tidiest of installers back in 1996).

All fused supplies go through this connector. If it has been wet for quite some time, then some of the connections may be rusty.
Electricity cannot flow through rust.

The only relay to do with non-starting is the injector and fuel pump relay.

This is located below the engine ECU.
Look for thick red/blue wires, as these are the ones that power the fuel pump and fuel injectors via fuse 11.

Correction to relay location...
See the yellow line below -

Widdyx

Post by Widdyx »

Thankyou mate will try to have a look at ecu later on today yes Ive looked at the passenger side footwell the un clipped the big wire connection seemed a bit damp so put some wd40 and tried it all contacts seem clean
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If the car is wet inside, I would recommend finding out where the water is getting in.
Such as front roof drain channels, corroded firewall, corroded a pillars, split windscreen seal rubber or leaking heater matrix.

Otherwise, if moisture is the cause of your issues, then it will be prone to re-occuring until the source of the leak is found and repaired.
Widdyx

Post by Widdyx »

HI just to give you guys an update been really busy busy and thought id get sometime out after a long time i have been playing around with the cav and i checked all fuses about 10m time finally i realised there was a hair line crack in one of the fuses so i replaced it all lights on the dash are on now car still turns over fine but wont fire i dont seem to be getting any fuel and spark??? car has been running before all this just cut out and refusing to start now
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Still my rogues top most likely.

1 - Replace fuse 11 regardless of whether it looks faulty or not.

2 - Possible crank angle sensor faulty.
Sensor has been knocked out of position, or has failed. Also check the connector on the top, rear of the camshaft cover housing.

3 - Fuel injector and pump relay mounted below the ECU in the drivers footwell behind the plastic kick panel.

4 - Check your coil or it's low tension connector.

5 - Check everything that may have been disturbed, prior to the engine failing to start.

6 - All earth and power feed wires in and around the engine bay.

7 - The injector / fuel pump relay connector strapped to the front of the central locking unit.
The one with the fat blue wire with red stripe (or vice versa).