Wiring in Cav Mk3 Cruise Control - Discussion Thread.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Wiring in Cav Mk3 Cruise Control - Discussion Thread.

Post by Robsey »

This is the discussion thread for the wiring How 2, which can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16367
Mk3alan

Re: Wiring in Cav Mk3 Cruise Control - Discussion Thread.

Post by Mk3alan »

I have cruise control on my auto Astra but never really thought about it with a manual box. When going up a long labouring hill that you would normally drop down a gear for what occurs? Does it just let the engine labour?

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

With a manual box, yes it would.

The engine would labour or eventually stall if you were in too high a gear.
We are talking 90's basic cable driven cruise control.

Our Vectra-C has a 6 speed manual box and electronic cruise control.
I have never tested it to see if it knocks off the cruise or not.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Hello!

After a Google about retrofitting cruise control it bought me here!

I'm looking at the possibility of retrofitting CC to my X20XEV it's not a Cavalier but a Cavalier in a shell suit *cough* Calibra.

First of all should I have the Cruise control multi pin plug already in the engine bay?

It's a September 1997 model.

Thanks
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hi Kevster,
Firstly welcome to the club.

Hmm, Calibra eh?
I am sure that anything before 1995 will not have the wiring anywhere.
My answer being that cruise is not mentioned at all in the 1988 to 1995 Cavalier manual that includes wiring diagrams for both Cavalier (Vectra in the manual) and Calibra.

As Cruise Control was introduced with the Vectra-B in late 1995, it is possible that uncle Vauxhall may have allowed similar wiring for the Calibra due to the three year model overlap.

If not, it is not a particularly difficult thing to fit.
About 10 wires all in.
I will have a look at my documents to see if cruise was ever fitted to the Calibra as an option.
You never know.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote:Hi Kevster,
Firstly welcome to the club.

If not, it is not a particularly difficult thing to fit.
About 10 wires all in.
I will have a look at my documents to see if cruise was ever fitted to the Calibra as an option.
You never know.
Wow thanks, that was quick.

I recently fitted the fuel/trip computer from the higher spec model, that was plug and play luckily.

It did help that my car had all the plugs and connections and someone sold me a wiring loom from a V6 to use what I was missing to make it as per factory.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Thankfully fuel computer wiring was fitted as standard for many 1993 onward Cavaliers.
So it is not surprising that it was in a Calibra.
What most cavaliers lacked was the floor loom wiring from the X6 connector in the passenger footwell to the centre console.
Thankfully only 5 wires.

Vauxhall were very hit and miss with what was or was not fitted to their cars.
So it is often found that model year and trim level can make a huge difference.

I am firing up my laptop as we speak, to look at the Calibra info...
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote: What most cavaliers lacked was the floor loom wiring from the X6 connector in the passenger footwell to the centre console.
Thankfully only 5 wires.

Vauxhall were very hit and miss with what was or was not fitted to their cars.
So it is often found that model year and trim level can make a huge difference.
That's the one! So much nicer to find the yellow plug behind the dash as i did and add the pins to the connector blocks and bingo. Of course had to get the chip programmed.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay...
I have looked at TIS2000, GlobalTIS, AutoData v3.45, Haynes and also my Calibra 4x4 Turbo docs.

Sadly none of them show that cruise control was ever present.

What I did see was that the Turbo models were fitted with the dual circuit (4 wire) brake switch for the 4x4 circuit.
This may well be wired into your calibra.

Look for a yellow connector up behind the dash light switch. (It looks identical to the fuel computer plug).
This is the 4x4 connector, so will probably have the two of the additional wires that you would need for dis-engaging cruise via the brake pedal and getting road speed pulse.

The plug is -
pin 1 = brake lamp switch open signal.
Pin 16 = brake lamp switch closed signal.
There is also -
Pin 17 = ABS control unit right hand front wheel speed sensor signal.

As with the fuel computer - if you fit a V6 cruise module to a X20XEV, then it will need reprogramming due to the pulse signal frequency.

If you fit a Vectra-B non-V6 module, then it should work without programming.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote:Okay...
I have looked at TIS2000, GlobalTIS, AutoData v3.45, Haynes and also my Calibra 4x4 Turbo docs.

Look for a yellow connector up behind the dash light switch. (It looks identical to the fuel computer plug).

As with the fuel computer - if you fit a V6 cruise module to a X20XEV, then it will need reprogramming due to the pulse signal frequency.

If you fit a Vectra-B non-V6 module, then it should work without programming.
Wow that's a great help! I will see if that yellow plug is there it wold be handy....one way to find out.

Indeed I gather a 4 cylinder module would be a better bet.

I'm think I'm a few years late.... to find a Vectra 4 pot sitting there at a scrappy to get the CC indicator stalk, clutch pedal switch, CC module, module plug/length of wire.

I have seen some after market CC indicator stalks, that's it so far. Hard to get part numbers :?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The stalks can still be bought... pattern parts.

Cruise modules often pop up on ebay and in scrappers.
I got mine from ebay with all switches, actuator cable, module and all connectors.

But you can get parts from Vectra-B or Omega... they are interchangeable.
However most Omega units will be V6.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Well Robsey, I have found the yellow plug. A spy with a torch with the light switch out shows it by the wheel arch!

So thats check number one done.

I didn't note the date on your How2 guide, so very recent, have you now fitted yours or still in progress?
Were your parts also bought recently, if so that was a result?

I also found humbucker's How2, or rather the link to the Total Vauxhall PDF, but the link doesn't work anymore.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5205&p=48489&hilit ... rol#p48489
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am planning to fit mine this spring / summer, ready for the VBOA meet in July.

Although ongoing Cavalier challenges (leaky power steering hose) are threatening plans and finances.

I got my parts about 4 to 5 years ago, a year or so before a very bad MOT forced the car off the road for 2 years.

To avoid an over long explanation clogging up this thread, I am hoping to finish fitting all the electric gizmos once and for-all.
Cruise control, auto lights, auto dimming interior mirror and possibly my CANbus Infotainment system.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote:I am planning to fit mine this spring / summer, ready for the VBOA meet in July.

Cruise control, auto lights, auto dimming interior mirror and possibly my CANbus Infotainment system.
Sounds intresting!

I also plan to be at the VBOA, for the third year with the Calibra guys.

So hopefully with finding my yellow polug, it makes it possbile to fit, or at least three connections easier....?
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

This used stalk look okay? Fuzzy photos!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUX ... SwExlaUKQy
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You will need to check which brake wire you want - brake open or brake closed.

The way to check this is to check the Haynes (or similar) book of lies and check through the wiring diagram, to see the configuration of the wires on your brake switch.

And that is if you do have a 4 pin brake switch already.

If not, then you will have a bit more wiring to do.
Plan well ahead, as you will need to find a way to get anywhere between 7 and 10 wires through the bulkhead from the module in the engine bay, up behind the glovebox, then around the dash and up behind the instrument cluster.
The route behind the dash is a big "U" shape.

From the glove box, towards the fuel computer, down the left side of the radio to where the volt meter and oil pressure gauges go, across and up past the right side of the radio behind the heater panel and across behind / under the instruments.

A long messy route.
From the instruments, the loom splits into three.

One arm to the instruments. (Road speed pulse signal and tell tale light if you plan to fit one)(2 wires).

2nd arm is to the cruise control stalk.
(4 wires)

3rd arm is down to the pedal box in the footwell for the brake and clutch switches.
(3 wires).
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Kevster wrote:This used stalk look okay? Fuzzy photos!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUX ... SwExlaUKQy

Yep that will work. :thumb
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Ah yes quite a route, indeed planning is key! I have no fear taking things apart, just don't fancy the airbag out job, which i assume it is.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nope - the air bag is not disturbed.
Although common sense suggests disconnecting the battery anyway when faffing about with the final connecting up of the ignition live supplies.

All you do is follow the first few steps of my how 2 for getting the instrument cluster out.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14748

It is a matter of turning the steering wheel 90° to the right, remove a plastic cap and a screw with a No2 philips screwdriver.

Turn the wheel 90° to the left, remove the plastic cap and screw.

Undo 3 screws in the underside of the lower steering collumn cowling.

Then lift the top half of the cowling away.

This will give access to the stalk and it's connector....

The lower half can be removed if you require more access.

As they say "a la Haynes" refitting is the reverse of removal.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote:Nope - the air bag is not disturbed.

As they say "a la Haynes" refitting is the reverse of removal.
Thats great news, well my Haynes i just looked at is wrong!

Normally with Haynes it's damage everything with a flat screw driver when you lever it off rather than use something non marking! :roll:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is why I call it the "Book of Lies"
Ha ha.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Well I now have a cruise indicator stalk, genuine one, used but like new.
Struggling to find much else... :|
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There are two Omega-B cruise contol modules without draw cables on ebay from Germany for 4 in-line engines.
But watch out for silly delivery costs.

And there is this one for a V6 engine complete with draw / actuation cable.
(Which could be programmed with Tech 1 to convert to 4 in-line).

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega ... SwYwJaJGuJ

All other parts like brake switch (4 pin) and 2 pin clutch switch for Vectra-B are readily available new from ebay.

All connectors will need to be obtained from scrapped / salvaged vehicles.

10 pin "brain" / module connector from almost any 87 to 95 Vauxhall with fuel injection. (Use the diagnostic plug connector from these vehicles).

Pedal switch connectors and stalk loom connectors should be available from any salvage Vectra-B or Omega-B.. remember to get the pedal switch with the loom connectors if you can to ensure correct fitment. There are a couple of different clutch pedal formats for Omega-B which are not cross compatible.

Some literature says you can move your Cavalier brake switch to the clutch pedal bracket.. others say you can't.
If you can, then you need to transfer the brake switch wires from your Cav switch to the two corresponding locations on the Vectra-B 4 pin brake switch socket.

If this is indeed possible, then that will save a bit of faffing looking for a clutch switch.
Kevster

Post by Kevster »

Robsey wrote: And there is this one for a V6 engine complete with draw / actuation cable.
(Which could be programmed with Tech 1 to convert to 4 in-line).

All other parts like brake switch (4 pin) and 2 pin clutch switch for Vectra-B are readily available new from ebay.

All connectors will need to be obtained from scrapped / salvaged vehicles.

10 pin "brain" / module connector from almost any 87 to 95 Vauxhall with fuel injection. (Use the diagnostic plug connector from these vehicles).

Pedal switch connectors and stalk loom connectors should be available from any salvage Vectra-B or Omega-B.. remember to get the pedal switch with the loom connectors if you can to ensure correct fitment. There are a couple of different clutch pedal formats for Omega-B which are not cross compatible.

Good spot with the Omega actuator with draw cable, but the cable guide doesn't look like it will fit in the bracket on my throttle (X20 XEV), and read possibly they are shorter on the Omega anyway...

I have a Calibra V6 loom (the entire wiring loom) minus what i used for my fuel computer so should be able to get the large diagnostic plug from that. I assume this is the plug that i will have in the engine bay at the top right (as you look wih bonnet open)?

Yes i have seen the clutch and brake switches, once i work out which i need

Haven't yet got my head round the pedal switch connectors and stalk loom connectors i need...

I see there is a Vectra B an hour or so away from me that is being broken on Ebay, A V6 which i'd like the steering wheel from too. Sadly the seller isn't repling. Have to try again!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you look on Squigs How 2, he gets the throttle-cable guide thingy from a Vectra or Omega.

Good spot, because I had long since forgotten about the cable guide.

Yes the diagnostic plug is in the rear corner of the engine bay next to the octane plug.