4.3 volts at washer pump connector

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

4.3 volts at washer pump connector

Post by cavalier1990 »

As per title, i was testing washer feed last night, got 12 v when you pull stalk to activate washer, but at rest with ignition on, you get 4.3 volts at the terminals. One of my meters can give iffy readings sometimes so tried another and it is same reading. Also checked it with earth to battery and is the same.

Any ideas?
Cavalier342

Re: 4.3 volts at washer pump connector

Post by Cavalier342 »

I assume the engine is off when you took the readings, might be normal, as it's only a small component with thin wiring. If you get 12V when it's working then I wouldn't worry about it.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Does the washer pump work ? that voltage drop would indicate a seized pump or a bad earth some where.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

From how I read it..

When pulling the stalk to operate the pump, the meter registers full battery voltage.

When the switch is released / at rest, you are getting 4.3 volts on the meter.

From a normal observational point of view, I cannot see why there would be any voltage present when the stalk is in the off position.

You could strip and clean the stalk - the connection end is quite simply constructed.
Just springs and contacts.

Not a huge worry, unless your battery is losing charge.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Cavalier342 wrote:I assume the engine is off when you took the readings, might be normal, as it's only a small component with thin wiring. If you get 12V when it's working then I wouldn't worry about it.
Ignition on, engine off. Strange reading to get at otherwise Open Circuit terminal.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

iangsi wrote:Does the washer pump work ? that voltage drop would indicate a seized pump or a bad earth some where.
The voltage reading wasn't a drop, it was while I had the terminal off and was reading the voltage from the plug and when the washer wasn't activated, so in all respects nothing was happening but was getting a voltage reading.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:From how I read it..

When pulling the stalk to operate the pump, the meter registers full battery voltage. correct

When the switch is released / at rest, you are getting 4.3 volts on the meter. correct

From a normal observational point of view, I cannot see why there would be any voltage present when the stalk is in the off position. correct

You could strip and clean the stalk - the connection end is quite simply constructed.
Just springs and contacts.

Not a huge worry, unless your battery is losing charge.
No evidence of any battery current consumption. Treating the pump as a separate entity in the circuit it would appear to be open circuit, so that voltage is not allowing any current to run through it - hopefully. I'll leave it unplugged just in case.

Quick check would of course be another switch, the thought of salvaging more from my dippy is not a good thought, it's not a parts car so have ordered a new pump.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You can still buy brand new wash / wipe stalks for quite a modestly cheap price.
They will probably be French pattern parts, but still available brand new.

Last I looked, there were plenty about for Corsa-B, Astra-F, Vectra-B and Omega-B.
The only thing to check for is that the new stalk is the correct configuration for your car.
I have an Omega stalk with front and back wash wipe, variable intermittent wipe, and computer buttons.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:You can still buy brand new wash / wipe stalks for quite a modestly cheap price.

Last I looked, there were plenty about for Corsa-B, Astra-F, Vectra-B and Omega-B.
The only thing to check for is that the new stalk is the correct configuration for your car.
I have an Omega stalk with front and back wash wipe, variable intermittent wipe, and computer buttons.

ISo I could use my omega as a parts dog too? :)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

cavalier1990 wrote:
Robsey wrote:You can still buy brand new wash / wipe stalks for quite a modestly cheap price.

So I could use my omega as a parts dog too? :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You could indeed - most vauxhall / opel vehicles from that era can be used.

Although if I am brutally honest...
I think the Omega would be too nice a car to raid for your Cavalier.

An astra-f or Corsa-b is a different matter.
Raid to your hearts content.