reverse light not working

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Fogger1

reverse light not working

Post by Fogger1 »

hope someone can help ive recently brought a Vauxhall cavalier 1.8 auto and the reverse lights don't seem to work ive purchased a new reverse light switch for the sum of £5.50 but looking at the old one its lead is connected to the switch but on the new one it looks like a lead plug into it also I hope ive got it right that the switch on the auto is under a little cover at bottom of the gear box many thanx
Cavalier342

Re: reverse light not working

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hi there, on the automatic models, the reverse lights are controlled by the selector switch which sits on top of the transmission, under the battery, it's a triangular piece of metal held on by a couple of nuts just next to the transmission fluid dipstick.

There are a couple of fuses in the dash which are part of the reverse light/autobox system, check your handbook to see those fuses to make sure they aren't blown first.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Fogger1

Post by Fogger1 »

ok no handbook but will try and see first im sure my mate got a manual for a cavalier somewhere and I thought it was under the car at front somewhere I check in the morning many thanx
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

In case you get stuck or can't get access to a handbook, here's a thread about all the fuses and which ones do what.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4904
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Guy that done my Omega MOT says all years of reverse lights need to work. I'd read elsewhere it was only after 2006 and sure I seen the DVLA saying this. Strange.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It should be -
Where lights are fitted as standard / at the factory, they should be working and operate as intended.
I am sure there is no cut off / exclusion as for before or after a certain year.

Other things to consider is where a tungsten filament bulb is fitted as standard, it is not acceptable to fit alternative types of bulbs such as HID or LED lighting. Think this is for all vehicles after 1996 or something.
So Cavs should just escape that rule.

Other than the reverse lights, the only other change of significance is with regard to fluid spills or leakages (coolant, oil, fuel etc) that could be harmful to animals etc.
I assume that is a significant leak that leaves a fluid spill / mark on the ground.

Most other stuff is much the same as before.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I've personally never heard of reverse lights needing to function to pass an MOT, but I don't see why it isn't a part of the test, after all, why install reverse lights on cars if they aren't part of the general test of roadworthiness? A blown turn signal, sure that's a fail, so why not 2 blown reverse lights?? Makes little sense to me.
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is one of the few additions to the MOT that isn't aimed at Diesels and their emissions. (If fitted with a particle filter).

As said - reverse lights and fluid leaks are the only changes that would affect a Cavalier
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

It is from 2009 only you need reverse lights. Check link about half way down:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Indeed it is for 2009 onward vehicles...
I did mention this on a thread specifically about the mot changes.

Anyway - not an issue for you now, as you have got yours working nicely. :cool