Car unlocks after setting Meta alarm.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Car unlocks after setting Meta alarm.

Post by Robsey »

Maybe outside the realms of most people here, but I think my issue is to do with my third party alarm that was fitted professionally by a Meta / Toad installer back in 1996.

It was noted that the installer fitted the wrong unit, and so he had to upgrade by adding all the extras such as window lifter and central locking modules.

The installer also wired it so that it burnt out my window lifter switches some years later.
And they cracked the passenger side plastic sill cover trim during the installation.
The wiring is also quite untidy. :wall

The trim was replaced at their cost for a princely sum of £7.20.
(I fitted it to ensure no further breakages.)

Anyway - my current issue.

What happens is I press my alarm fob button.
The alarm sets, the doors lock and my full closure operates.
I lock my doors with the key to the deadlock position.
Then after 15 to 20 seconds, i can hear / or see my rear doors unlock, which then triggers the alarm.

To get past this, I currently set the locks to dead lock position,
And then pull the fuse.
I then close the drivers door with the handle raised.
And finally set the alarm.

This way, my doors stay dead locked, and my alarm stays happy.

My head says the only cure is to strip out the old alarm and fit a new one.

Any suggestions of a fix.?
It is a Meta M85.
They still sell a version without immobilser called the M85A, but it would be a minor faff plus expense to have to retrofit a separate immobiliser.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Car unlocks after setting Meta alarm.

Post by Robsey »

I have decided that the easiest plan would be to strip out the old alarm and fit a new one.

What I will do though, is use the big 25 pin yellow connector behind the glovebox, which is purpose made for fitting a factory alarm, complete with connections for bonnet switch, siren, indicators, battery live, ignition live and ground connections.

To cheat, I could get a ebay special, used alarm, and strip out the guts, so that I have the necessary connectors too.

Perfect!!