CDX Immobiliser Fault

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

T1BBST3R

CDX Immobiliser Fault

Post by T1BBST3R »

Hello there,
Posted an old thread last year, thought this was a faulty ignition relay, but the problem kept occurring.

On my CDX when driving along the engine intermittently cuts out and I lose all the lights on the dash. When the clutch goes in the battery and oil light come on but not the ignition. It usually lasts a few seconds before the engine cuts back in again, rarely causing a breakdown.

It says in the TS 1439-a-94 Immobiliser 'features and operation' booklet that for the CDX the fob operates the central locking as well as is connected to the ignition, fuel pump and starter.

Also, if in a car park and the ignition light doesn't come on when I want I can usually slam the door and it appears.

Does anyone know of a fix, or where I can possibly buy a new unit? Have read on here that immobilisers are behind the glove box but I am not sure how to refit the air condition tube back if it's taken off, please help.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: CDX Immobiliser Fault

Post by Robsey »

Sounds like a loose wire or connector.

I assume it will be the aluminium box behind the glovebox with a yellow 25 pin connector.

PM me if you want to quick fix / test the immobiliser wiring in the alarm box.
(Behind the glove box).

Check the main wires to your battery etc are clean and secure.

Slamming the door should have no effect on the instrument warning lights, nor immobiliser issues.

Dash warning lights may be affected by a squashed rub strip on the big black connector.
Unplug the dash connector check the strips and reshape into a bowed profile then refit the plug securely.

I had this issue myself (duff warning lights) which is caused by an issue with the ignition live feed to the instrument cluster.
Mine was a flattened connector rub strip.
T1BBST3R

Post by T1BBST3R »

Thanks for the reply,
had the glove box out just now, couldn't get the yellow connector off to have a look. Do you have to force it from the top edge or do you get some long nose pliers?
I could check the connectors and spray some wd40 in there to drive out any moisture to see if it helps.
Don't think testing the immobiliser will show anything much as it's only an intermittent fault you see.
This problem is probably going to piss me off for a long time.
The next step I guess would be to take it somewhere to see if I can get the immobilser box replaced and having the loom checked, that would be an entire dashboard out job and probably some expensive labor.

Cars already booked in for some bodywork on the arches.

Oddly enough it only seems to happen in hot weather, don't know if some circuitry overheats or it's moisture related or the car just has a gremlin living inside.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A long time since the last post, however to answer the question,
The yellow connector is of a similar format to that of the cover on the big X6 connector in the passenger footwell.

It has a location hook at one end and a tang at the other end with a press-tab.
Obviously, you press the ribbed press tab, and then pivot the connector hook out of the immobiliser body.
Due to having 25 pins, the connector is VERY stiff to separate from the immobiliser.

As with all intermittent faults,
Look for loose, damaged or corroded connectors or pins or dodgy looking wires.