No volts at coil plug

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

No volts at coil plug

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Just building my jalopy back up and it wont start. Discovered 0 volts at the coil plug. Any ideas where this wire is fed from, where it gets it's feed?

As an aside i've checked fuses - thought I don't think this has any bearing on the ignition feed - had a good look for anything I've disturbed or missed. Getting lights on dash, but my fault finding took me to no spark then no coil spark then no coil power.

The only wiring I've done is the change over of the reverse light switch from a manual loom t o incorporate it into the big x5 connector at the battery, leaving the 2 little wires floating in mid air that came from the auto circuit.

Also wondering if there is a relay of sort for the feed to coil?

Does the big X5 connector house the black feed wire to the coil? If so will take that apart and trace if it is getting power to there, maybe one of the pins popped out and it is not feeding through the connector.

Green coil wiren (is this an Earth or what?) seems to run up the loom across engine bay to where though I've no idea.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: No volts at coil plug

Post by Robsey »

There should be a black wire to the X5 connector, that should give ignition live to the coil
X5 is the same connector to which your reverse wires should be wired through.

Thinking of that. Has your auto box wiring been affected, possibly disconnecting the black/red park/neutral wire from it's ground connection.?
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:There should be a black wire to the X5 connector, that should give ignition live to the coil
X5 is the same connector to which your reverse wires should be wired through.

Thinking of that. Has your auto box wiring been affected, possibly disconnecting the black/red park/neutral wire from it's ground connection.?
There was 2 wires from the X5 taken out to allow the reverse light go in. One a white/red or brown, and a black, I'm assuming this is a ground I probably need. I'll check X5 tonight and see what's what.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Black is usually ignition live.
And should be found on pin 8 for a 1989 / 90 Cavalier.

Brown would normally be the colour for ground / chassis wire.

Reverse uses.
Black on pin 12 for ignition live from fuse 22 to reverse switch.

White / black on pin 2 for switched live from reverse switch, out to the rear light clusters.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Black is usually ignition live.
And should be found on pin 8 for a 1989 / 90 Cavalier.

Brown would normally be the colour for ground / chassis wire.

Reverse uses.
Black on pin 12 for ignition live from fuse 22 to reverse switch.

White / black on pin 2 for switched live from reverse switch, out to the rear light clusters.
I reverted the feed for the reverse light switch from the pin that was for coil feed, and put the reverse feed into the inhibitor switch short set up I have. This should give me the power to rear lights when car is running. Car now starts fine, Only thing is the fuel pipe at the very front sprung a leak, my fault for poking it as it looked a bit rusty at the join where the rubber sleeve goes onto it. Going to replace those last metal bits up to the engine with new plastic fuel pipe that I done the front to back with. I'm glad I did poke and prod as the other pipe join just snapped off with very little force so would have been ready to spring a leak, probably when getting MOT'd!