Alarm problems

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

James McGrath
Club Admin

Alarm problems

Post by James McGrath »

Having a spot of bother with the alarm on the latest addition to the family fleet.

The nearside indicator lights are constantly illuminated, the only way I can turn them off is by disconnecting the battery.
I've tried pulling out all the fuses related to the indicators, removing the indicator relay, checked all the wiring and even removed the indicator stalk and not of that did any good.

I've looked it up online and it looks like it might be a problem with one of the relays in the alarm system.
First of all dose this sound like a likely cause and secondly where abouts is the alarm relay?
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: Alarm problems

Post by iangsi »

From your description it sounds like a stuck relay in the alarm module as it has it's own power supply which in turn feeds the indicators when it operates. The module is in the passenger foot-well behind the kick panel on the left. Robsey will know more.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay -
Q1 - What type of alarm is it?

Q2 - Do you have the alarm module in the driver's side kick panel near to the engine ECU, or is it plugged into the yellow connector in the side wall next to the glove box?

Which ever alarm you have, unplug it and see if the indicator light goes out.

If it goes out when the alarm is unplugged, you could disconnect the wire for the near side indicator from the connector, and connect it to the off side indicator wire from the alarm connector via a separate relay.

Quick-ish fix without swapping alarm modules.

If the indicator bulb is still on, I would look for a dodgy earth wire from the all the indicator bulb sockets (especially the rear light cluster) in case there is a voltage finding an alternative path to earth.

Finally, if none of that fixes your issue, it may be necessary to go around disconnecting wires, starting at the X6 connector, and working your way along the cable routes to each bulb affected.

Time consuming, but not rocket science difficult.

To answer your last question, the relays are integral within the alarm module.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just for info, Haynes gives a pin-out for the yellow connector up by the side of the glovebox, close to the front door pillar.

Pin 12 black / white = left indicator (near side)

Pin 25 black / green = right indicator (off side)

These are then reported to be connected directly to the switched side of the indicator stalk switch and the hazard light switch.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Right then, I've got the one that's connected to the yellow plug behind the glove box.

I've just unpluged it and the indicator has gone out!
Only problem now is that it won't start. I'm guessing that this is the immobiliser that has kicked in?

If I got hold of a replacement module, would it just be a case of swapping it over with the old one or would it require any programing?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think the immobiliser function is near the transponder pick up ring.

You have Tech 1, so you may be able to unpair the alarm and marry in the new alarm module.
But I do not think programming would be necessary
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

James McGrath wrote:If I got hold of a replacement module, would it just be a case of swapping it over with the old one or would it require any programing?
It should only need programming if you arm it with a remote I believe. The alarm functions are broadly the same across the range depending on whats connected to the module.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Excellent.
I can do some reprogramming with the cartridges I have for my Tech 1 but I'm pretty much limited to just region coding.
I think Dan (Humbucker) had a proper alarm cartridge.

I found a replacement alarm module on eBay for £14.49, pretty chuffed with that.
It's the same part number, ident code and index number (90460636 ZU 45) but it's originally from a 16v Cav, presumably an ecotec. It's also dated a but later, 29/06/1994 compared to 26/11/1993, but hopefully it will just pop straight in.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll update when it arrives.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Thinking about it, you may need to program the alarm remote to suit the key.

Do you have a security code for the car?

If all this starts to prove too problematic, then consider my other solution of linking the indicator outputs via a relay.

I can do a wiring diagram if necessary.

Just as an update to my electrical ramblings... (and my proposedcircuit).
It may be necessary to put a relay in line to the switches for the left indicators from the alarm module.
Otherwise a voltage from the switch would back-feed to the alarm module, and in my earlier circuit this would trigger the right indicator circuit.

A twin 87 output relay would fix this situation.
Sorry if this sound like rocket science.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote:Thinking about it, you may need to program the alarm remote to suit the key.

Do you have a security code for the car?

If all this starts to prove too problematic, then consider my other solution of linking the indicator outputs via a relay.

I can do a wiring diagram if necessary.

Just as an update to my electrical ramblings... (and my proposedcircuit).
It may be necessary to put a relay in line to the switches for the left indicators from the alarm module.
Otherwise a voltage from the switch would back-feed to the alarm module, and in my earlier circuit this would trigger the right indicator circuit.

A twin 87 output relay would fix this situation.
Sorry if this sound like rocket science.

No it doesn't have a code. It's the older type without a chip in the key.

I opened up the module yesterday and I think I can see the two relays. I should be able to unsolder them and put on new ones if necessary.