Trip computer

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

dorsetdave

Trip computer

Post by dorsetdave »

I have seen one of these for sale which came from a GSI. It has the plug and wire. How easy would it be to fit to my 94 2.0 8v CD?
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Trip computer

Post by Robsey »

Two things to check.
1 - do you have the small-ish 26 pin yellow connector tucked up between the glove box and the clock.

Do not confuse it with the identical yellow connector behind the light switch.
That is the 4x4 connector.

2 - do you have a white connector plugged into the cream coloured strip that your electric window connectors are plugged into.? Or tied up close by.
Under the centre console next to the front of the hand brake.

Chances are that a CD will have both connectors. So it should be quite simple to fit.

I have a 94 LSi, which came with a dual info display (time and temperature).
I had the yellow dash connector, but not the floor connector.

I made up my own floor loom, that I spliced directly into the switch and the wires behind the yellow plug.

The true connection is in the big connector in the passenger-side foot-well connector (X6)

In reality, I would only expect cars fitted with analogue clocks to be lacking the yellow dash connector.

A give-away would be if you do not have a wire going to pin 'd' of your diagnostic socket in the back of the engine bay, next to the octane plug.

The fuel computer wiring equipped cars will have a wire in the pin 'd' position.

Finally, if you want accurate consumption figures, then you may have to get the module programmed with a Tech-1 diagnostic tool to the correct program number. Called a code index value.

To get the right code index number, you will need the following details.
1 - The "w" number on the face of the speedometer.
2 - the engine type x20xev, c20ne, c18nz etc.
3 - units - mph or kph

That's about it...

If you plan to go to any of the meets, such as VauxFest or any of the club southern meetings, then I am sure James will be able to do the programming for you.
He did mine at VauxFest in 2018.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks again Robsey for an swift, amazingly comprehensive reply. Yes, my CD does have the digital clock and temperature readout so it's looking hopeful. I have a mate who served his apprenticeship at a local independent Vauxhall dealer many years ago and he services my Vauxhalls and the Cortina. Having just bought the CD I asked him to go through it thoroughly. He only does this work on a Saturday so the car is still with him. The plan is for me to collect it today so I can look for the connection points, probably tomorrow.
Would this trip computer have been an option on a CD in 94?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure it would be an option in a CD as it was the highest specification model at the time within the normal brochure.
Envoy up to SRi.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Yes Robsey, my car has the connectors near the clock and window regulators. Just to make sure that I get the complete set of plugs from the vendor so that I can plug it in to existing loom can you tell me how many there should be. I found an original 1994 brochure last night and sure enough it was an optional (cost) extra on the CD. On any of the lesser specification models it wasn't which ties in with your own experience. Thanks again for your help.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

All you will need is 2 items.

The board computer itself.
And
The little switch unit for the centre console.

That's it.
Plug in and away you go.

Well almost... forward of the window switch panel, you will see some diagonal slots within an oblong recess. (Apparently for holding a few pound coins). You will need a sharp knife or dremmel type tool to cut out a hole in that recessed oblong.

The switch will then need to be sunk into the hole that you have just made.
The plastic is quite soft, so not too difficult.

Then the computer may need programming to suit your car as mentioned above.
A two minute job if you have Tech 1 to hand.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

The trip computer is the easy bit to get it's the button & loom that's a bit more tricky to obtain as I found when I wanted to fit one in my motorsport, I ended up fitting the clock / temperature display instead. Mine had the correct yellow plug which powered up the computer fine but I couldn't control / change it without the button.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Iangsi, I have been fortunate to get the switch and loom. I did not realize that they were hard to find. If I hear of another one I will pass on the contact details. Actually the person breaking the car did not know what the switch was for. It was Robsey's explanation that alerted me to the need for it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure that I have a spare switch in my spares box.

I had the spares box in my boot at Billing / VauxFest last year (2018).
Everyone's car looked perfect / complete, so I never got the box out. :roll:

If you still want it Ian, I will have a check tomorrow.
The box is still in the car - lol
UPDATE - switch is now on it's way south.
;)